Muscle twitches and spasms all over body

Posted , 61 users are following.

This particular problem started about 5 years ago, however it was much more mild and not as worrying. The muscle twitches originally started in my feet and legs, and was more of an annoyance than anything. At the time I also had trouble sleeping, so my doctor suggested a sleep study, perhaps the twitching was causing my body to not fully fall asleep. However, the sleep study did not show any abnormalities in my sleep pattern. The twitching eventually subsided/became less noticeable, and I forgot about it. 

In the last 30-45 days or so, however, I have noticed the twitching both returning and being much more frequent, and also accompanied by muscle spasms as well. The twitching occurs all over my body, including; feet, ankles, calves, thighs, knees, glutes, wrists, fingers, elbow muscles, and biceps. The muscle spasms have only occured in my thighs, calves, and glutes and are not as common. The spasms are very rapid and only last for a few seconds.

I decided to keep track of the frequency of the twitching for a 5 minute span (both laying down and in a sitting position) and it occured around 8-10 times within 5 minutes (varying from fingers, glutes, thighs, calves, etc). I am worried that these symptoms may lead to something greater, as I am only 20 years old and am not sure if it will become worse as time progresses.

I should also mention that I am prescribed 150 mg Wellbutrin and birth control daily, and have also been taking painkillers as needed for the past few weeks due to surgery. I also suffer from mild-moderate anxiety. I do not believe that this is a side-effect from my medication, as I have been on these medications the past few years. I am not opposed to visiting the doctor, I just don't know if a specific doctor would be necessary or any other advice would be helpful. 

0 likes, 256 replies

256 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have your same symptoms but I also have weakness in the arms and legs. I'm starting to have speak issues and trouble swallowing some foods. I have uncontrolled jolting in my arms and legs. My twitching started in my calves but has since moved up to my thighs, feet, arm. Basically everywhere, and it is non-stop. The spasms are not as painful as they used to be but they are still as often. I can't stand up for more than 5 minutes without needing to sit down. I have constant body nerve pains all over. If you have this stuff going on than you need to get to a doctor. It has taken me 4 years of this to get a diagnoses and I absolutely dislike Neurologist because they will not diagnose you until you are wheeled into their office in a wheel chair. So good luck on that. In my medical history, I even had it stating that my mothers father died of ALS. I do not recommend going to Baylor College of Medicine Neuro Muscular Disease Center and seeing Dr. Sharp. That was a waste of time and money and they will refuse to make a diagnoses. I was later diagnosed with ALS.

• Posted

Wow man I am so scared right now reading your post .. I am 41 with no history in the family of any neuro illness but I had a weird feeling in my lip in august and was after having a sinus throat scope done so didn't think anything of it so then after I got scared maybe I was having a stroke went to urgent care and the next day twitching all over my body and some cramping so went for blood work all was clean just Lower side b12 and vit d and Started taking b12 but don't notice much change I'm in month 3 now and when I'm stressed or over worked I notice twitching worse more active have a neurologist appointment and Emg testing coming up but with all this I'm reading don't look good for me I'm thinking there's nothing they can do for u anyway but tell you yes your going to suffer and die I rather not know now I don't know what going through ur mind and I am so sorry for ur diagnosis and hope god heals you somehow this is just awful I'm really scared to the point I'm losing it 

• Posted

Hi Erik, I will try to help you with your problem. I don't want to scare you. I have seen 5 different Neurologist in the past 4 years. They seem to take forever to make any type of diagnosis and they will miss lead you. I was told that Neuro disease is so complicated that there are so many different diseases that mimic others. So they will give you pills to help for this and that (Gabapentin made me sicker and I stopped it). Then they will want to run a group of test that include: Blood test, MRI of C-spine and L-spine, EMG, possible X-rays, and they will check your strength and your senses to touch for coldness and pin sticks. etc. I myself never had issues with my lips but I did have early signs of my left eye twitching. I would not worry about ALS if I was you. Normally it takes years to diagnose ALS. They would have to rule out every other disease that mimics ALS before it will even be a issue. In my case, I tested normal for all of these test. I was even tested for Lyme disease twice just to double check the results. Low vit D can mimic neuro disease. I would recommend a good Internal Medicine Doctor that does do genetic testing and will test for Lyme Disease. These are the doctors that will do more about finding out your problem. I have had such bad experiences with Neurologist, they are cocky and arrogant. They seem to think they know it all and in the Neurology area there is so much that is unknown. To me, it is like Astronomy. You will most likely spend lots of money with no solid answers for your problems. But I have found over the years that Neuro symptoms are not easy to figure out. Take your phone and video tape any and all twitching and spasms. Try to catch this happening at the same time on both sides of your body. Take notes on what happened and in what order it happened. Like: muscle weakness in arms and legs that might be noticed. Stumbling, dropping things, voice changes, and soar throat issues that involve difficulty swallowing some types of foods like dry breads. One other thing, Look at your muscles and see if any are getting smaller. I notices years ago that the strength loss in my left arm was a problem and now it is so weak that I can't hardly use it anymore. If you have none of these symptoms than don't even think about ALS. Actually, Don't think about ALS until the doctors tell you that it is possibility. Good luck and hopefully your issues won't take years to figure out, like mine did. Oh By the way, Start eating real foods now. It does help in the long run. Educate yourself about food. No more junk.

• Posted

Also I had an extensive blood panel done and Lyme however was all good .. but what concerns me is u said all ur testing was clean and now u say u have als so that tells me testing don't always matter on clean emg's .. also the corner of my right eye twitches pretty much all the time very subtle to where u can't see it move at all 

• Posted

Hi Erik, All of the testing that you will go through is to rule out other diseases that mimic ALS. It is sad to say but you need to hope that you test positive for any of these diseases. Because most like Lyme are treatable. ALS is a clinical diagnoses. This means that after all other diseases have been ruled out and your symptoms still exist, than ALS becomes a possibility. They use the EMG test to check for muscle atrophy or shrinking and weakness ( Muscle Loss). Like I said before it takes years to get to the point of diagnoses. Although a good EMG test does not mean that you don't have ALS. A bad EMG test can determine that you do have ALS. There is no test that confirms ALS in early stages. But time will tell by symptoms and elimination of other diseases. After muscle loss or atrophy has been found. They will order a muscle biopsy and spinal tap. I sure hope that I'm not freaking you out about ALS by telling you about my issues. But I do hope that my info is helpful for those that might have it. Everyone is different and all of these neuro illnesses can be so much alike. I knew all along that mine was ALS because my grandfather died on ALS. I had family members tell me from the start that I was walking in his footsteps. So I new. But Mine is Familia ALS or FALS. I enjoy answering questions if I can so keep them coming. I hope I was helpful

• Posted

Hi Erik, I forgot about the eye twitching. My left eye has done this for years. It really doesn't mean much because it is tired to so much stuff. For me, it was my left side that started to decline first. Mainly left arm and leg. With bad muscle spasms in both calves at first. Then twitching started in calves then feet then all muscles under my knees. Along with noticeable weakness. In the past year, the twitching moved up to my thighs and into both arms. I now lost the use of my left arm and the right arm is starting to decline like the left arm did at first. Also uncontrolled limb jolting and nerve pains all over including numb tingling feet are normal for neuro diseases like mine.

• Posted

Wow mine started like everywhere right away was no grace period or progressiveness .. I'm already a high anxiety person borderline hypo that works third shift and runs a company during the day and so my sleep is crazy .. however my twitching only gets worse when I get stressed but never goes away all together month 3 now .. I get little jolts here and there I guess but twitching is litterly all over calves, staomach, shoulders, upper theighs, face , biceps trycepts but I'm still strong for someone that barley works out when I hit the gym I pick up where I left off as far as power is concerned .. but as I am typing this my nerves are raging from fear and twitching now as we speak allot worse .. I'm going to pray this is what they call benign factisious syndrome 🙏🏻 

Also all my family members here and in Europe are old and grey no issues like this and my sister at 45 got diagnosed with lupus which also don't run in the family how bad of luck would it be for both of us to have deadly diseases so young .. I almost now don't want to know nothing they can do for me if it's bad outcome so why live in fear like a prisoner 

• Posted

Hi Again, You are absolutely correct. Don't worry. Neuro problems can be caused by so many other stuff, even poor sleep. All you can do is watch closely and see a doctor if something concerns you. I was so stressed trying to answers for so long that when I was finally diagnosed that I was relieved. And I was told that I had ALS. How messed up is that? Anyway, I look at thing like it is what it is and I don't sweat it anymore. Just take care of yourself and good luck.

• Posted

One more thing these things only happpen when I'm at rest never when I'm moving always when I'm sitting and also when I sleep it don't bother me when I wake up I think about it and starts right away so idk 

• Posted

Mine started out like that. But is my case and over a 3 to 4 year span, they got worse. My doctor told me that when a muscle twitches, it is often the muscle looking for a feedback signal from your brain. As I understand it, even when you aren't using a muscle. The brain sends signals to them that's just basically saying "hey I'm here, How are you doing" When the muscle gets to the point that it doesn't receive this signal loud and clear. The muscle contracts and is says "hey, where are you". This is a sign of neuropathies. Neuropathy is a autoimmune condition where the peripheral fine nerve ending can detach from the muscles. Soon afterwards, I get spasms in those muscles. These spasms used to hurt really bad. But now mine are not so painful. This is a bad thing, if they don't hurt than the muscle is in atrophy or dying. So you want a spasm to hurt. Big Charlie Horses are great=GOOD For you to feel them. During your EMG you might have been told that you have Peripheral Neuropathy or something alike. If you do not than I would not worry about ALS at all. But I'm not a doctor. I self educated myself on Dr. Google over the past years. So what I have is just my belief, ok. But really if you only have had this for 3 months, I wouldn't be that worried. but to be honest, I worried about mine from the first time that I couldn't get the spasms to stop. They were 5 times a day approx.. This was almost 4 years ago and they were very painful. Not so much now. I'm still walk short distances but a walker is around the corner. but I am fighting my disease everyday. And I don't eat junk. I don't work anymore but I keep busy doing other things.

• Posted

Well I guess this is bad news for me then cause my twitching never hurt or spasms the only thing that hurt like that is my right calf I noticed prior to twitching as well but I sit long hours in a chair at work so didn't think nothing of it but like you I feel something is really wrong and may not be lucky here and also mine are not 5 times a day but prob 100's times a day if u count them all over very suttle twitching but never the less there last two days however it's gotten more  predominant cause I'm amping myself I think I also scare real easy meaning any noise I'm so quick to jump and scare easy my nerves are crazy for several years 

• Posted

Hello power tools my name is Julian I'm 23 & I'm out of California I was doing some research on Dr.Google & now I'm here LOL! I been having twitch all over my body for a About 3 weeks . I'm worry about everything right away I think of the worst my muscle don't hurt or cramp I just been getting twitches no pain nothing .. I was wondering if I could possibly talk to u everyone that I talk to tells me your fine will if I was fine I wouldn't be worried . I have been going threw a lot of stress hope to hear from You God bless hope To hear form you ! smile

• Posted

I have an appointment for MRI on Tuesday to see what is going on with me. I started twitching in my left arch then it jumped all over only at rest this will happen. I had an EMG done a month ago and was told I have chronic never damage that held it’s self in my sciatica and few other areas he only checked my left leg and foot. Some days a better then other for the twitching I started going to a chiropractor and my feet still twitch but not as much well that I can feel. I get twitching in and off all day in my left hand by my thumb this is driving me crazy MS runs wild in my family I had to fight to get a MRI !!! ?? it’s odd if I stand on one leg and then bend that leg or lean on one arm it will shake like crazy idk what to do, in he diagnoses he said that I do not have a neurological disease no ALS 

• Posted

Hi AudreysHusband, As far as I know from my doctors and Dr.Google, Muscle twitching is a common symptom of a lot of other things. This alone doesn't mean that you have a disease. But you should see your doctor and let him look at it. You should video the twitching with your smart phone if you can. I still video mine and keep a file on a USB stick. In my case, my muscles twitch non-stop so the doctor just looks at mine. But for me it is old news to them anyway.

• Posted

Hi Zack42476, I am hear trying to share my experience but I'm not a doctor. What I have found out is that muscle spasms and twitching can be nothing but dehydration and  low vitamins like magnesium and/or potassium. Or in my case something more serious like ALS. And just about everything in between. My grandfather died of ALS so during all of my past testing there has always been a possibility for me to have it also. All I can tell you is take video's of your twitching and pay close attention to everything that your body does. But don't stress over it. Stress can make you sicker and if you do have a neuro problem than it will make it worse. These are nerves we are talking about here. If you do have MS than it shouldn't take the doctors too long to diagnose it. I would also keep track of all of your medical records, ask for copies. MRI imaging places will give you a CD and written report if you ask for it before you go in. I had blood work done at Quest and they have a phone APP so you can check on all of your reports by using your phone. Also, get and keep all of your doctor receipts in a separate folder for your billing records. You need this incase you feel a need to change doctors. Once I discovered that a Neurologist was blowing me off I would move to another. I'm not a number and if they aren't 110% into finding out what is wrong with you, FIRE THEM.  Don't worry about this part, but if your doctors tell you that they don't see that you have something more serious, they do this to comfort you so you don't worry. But the reality is that until all testing is done, they really don't know. And sometimes, like my case, it takes years to diagnose because it's a "wait and see" type clinical diagnosis. I had two neurologist just about swear to me that I did not have ALS and two years after this, I was diagnosed with it. The doctors treat these diseases like a ON & OFF light switch. You either have it or you don't. It is like they don't recognize any pre-disease. They will not say the big word until they have too. But the patient knows that you don't just wake up one morning and all a sudden you have MS or ALS or any other neuro disease.

• Posted

We can send things to mars but we can't find a cure for this crap! Makes me so angry .. and how do you figure that Steven Hawkins can live to 60 from the age of 28 when he got it but everyone else can't make it close to that .. makes u wonder 

• Posted

Erik, I had similar symptoms and mine turned out to be myopathy. You can check it out and see if it fits. Also chronic fatigue syndrome causes twitching and weakness. Just some things to check out
    • Posted

Hi Erik, I have been following you.  If I read right your symptoms started in August?  My symptoms started in April  with muscle aches and lower back pain.  I have been tested for Lyme and a plentitude of other things. My blood work always comes out good.  I have also been to two different neurologists and had an Emg on both lower and upper body.  I can go on an list many other symptoms but wanted to see when your symptoms started and if you had other symptoms.  I can tell you the exact day my symptoms started and my journey from April until now.  All my efforts and time have gotten me no where.  
    • Posted

Just wanted to tell you guys that you might want to get a hair analysis done and check for heavy metal or mineral defeciency / toxicity. Mine revealed some deranged mineral transport which is usually Mercury toxicity
    • Posted

Hi erik92351, I was told that the younger you are when you get ALS the slower the disease progresses. But I have seen people in their 20's get it and they seemed to run the normal path. So I don't really know why Stephan Hawkins is still around. I have chosen to decline taking Riluzole. So I am going to try fighting ALS with staying detoxed and eating the right foods. I do take vitamins and a few prescription medications. I do a compounded medicine shot twice a week and also two allergy shots twice a week to build up my immune system. I do exercises like yoga every other day. Just slow muscle stretching moves. We don't know if all of this will help but we will find out later on.

• Posted

Hi jeremy04366, I was tested for heavy metals. The doctors have to test you for everything that could cause ALS symptoms before they can give you an ALS diagnoses. This is because there's so many other diseases out there that can mimic ALS. During the years of testing, you start to find yourself in a strange position. After each test, you are hoping to test positive for at least one of the diseases. This is because a lot of these diseases that mimic ALS are treatable. But when every test comes back with normal results and every test has been done, Your symptoms start to become more serious. Then it is a waiting game to see what happens as the years go by. By the time the doctors are ready to make the call, they are pretty sure. Your advise is good, heavy metals, mold, Low vitamin D, and even Lyme disease can mimic this stuff.

• Posted

Hello

I have muscle wasting, fat loss, fasisculations, soar throat, cognitive issues and tinnitus. Mine is all perfectly symmetrical but all tests are negative. Mayo ruled out ALS and neuro muscle disease. My hair sample is the key but doctors dismiss it , heavy metal analysis was negative and no Lyme. My hair analysis fits the Mercury poison profile but no doctor will listen to me even when I showed them the equation that doctors are to use for Mercury protocol. I'm trying to do a detox myself but my life right now is a horrible nightmare.

• Posted

I have muscle twitch ALL OVER my body from 2015 Oct. about 2 years.

Couple of time being seen by gp, blood test clean, no clinical weakness, 

I’m 26 years old, and the anxity is killing me because i am concern of horrible motor neuron disease.  The last time that i saw a new gp, she told me because its all over u need to be checked by specialist. But it is unlikly for MND. The referral is for January 2018.

• Posted

Hi saeed20618, You need to see what your Neurologist says. They probably will run so test on you. I would video your twitching on your smart phone so the doctors can see it. Worrying is bad if it turns out to be any type of MND because this can make the symptoms much worse. As long as you don't have muscle weakness and wasting than you should be ok. Good Luck..

• Posted

Hello, powertools55 well I was just scared the daylights out of by a nurse practitioner for  neurologist she checked me out and said the A word right away didn't play games she came right out with it and did so by saying my symptoms not normal spasticity right ankle with 2 -3 Beats clonus)  her evaluation said what she seeing is not normal and consistent with ALS patients and I asked her how many cases she has seen and she said three but I could tell she was leaning and already preparing me mentally for having this disease  my birthday is Thursday and this is the worst news I ever got she's referring me to a specific doctor that deals with ALS I can't believe she   Saying this stuff just because she saw fasciculations on pectoral muscles like there can't be any cause she was not optimistic I could tell the way she prepped me and said but it could be nothing bs

• Posted

Right now I have no other symptoms except for like hand pain in my fingers just recently and some foot pain in my toes, I'm not a consistent work out guy but my strength seems to be good to me can lift heavy weight I always have had skinny legs so can't tell any muscle loss or whatever but this NP that works under a nuroagist was so blunt went right for ALS in the conversation if she scared me for nothing I'm going to call there and tell them off 

• Posted

Hey Jeremy, did u have subtle muscle twitching like all over ur body as well like legs stomach face neck feet just about everywhere ?
    • Posted

Erik, yes I did. I have had problems with everything in my body. Vision, hearing, headache, neuropathy, hair loss....on and on
    • Posted

Shoot I don't have none of the other ones u have but I don't know how to process this the way  this NP spoke to me she was convincing I have this als thing and my heart sank in my stomach 

• Posted

Not yet that's what she wants to do next but makes me super nervous hate electric shock rather get punched plus if comes back bad don't know how I will cope .. did u have one?

• Posted

Yes , two of them. One at local neuro and another at Mayo. They are not that bad, and I would strongly encourage you to do it. It is an instrumental tool in diagnosing it. At least you wouldn't have to worry about what the nurse said, you would know from testing. If fasisculations are present and they are motor involved....it will find it. If they are benign , it will be clean. Even if they are positive, there are other motor neuron disorders besides ALS. I would do it though asap.

• Posted

Well if I feel them all the time wouldn't it pick it up anyway like I feel them so that means the test comes back positive right?

• Posted

I could feel mine too but the test came back negative, meaning it was not twitching of the nerves but muscles themselves. You can feel them and it still be negative
    • Posted

Hi Jeremy, I'm sorry that your health is bad. I do know how you feel. I have been diagnosed with ALS already about 4 months ago. The only heavy metal test they did on me was done through blood test. The also did a mold test to see if somehow mold was causing this. It is kind of funny but I have tinnitus also. I have had it for years. I don't think the doctors really know what it is. I was told the the receptor cells that are in your inner ear was to blame. I also recently read that lower vitamin B's are to blame (all of the B's) they said that brain cells in the middle of your brain that receive sounds are dying. Which, I thought in my opinion might be related to ALS. My mothers father died of ALS and my mother had tinnitus also. But I don't know. I was thinking of getting a plane ticket and flying to a Mayo Clinic just to see if they are as good as the people say. But it's not that important to me anymore. Why did Mayo clinic say that you did not have a MND?

• Posted

My emg is negative. Both of them, I have too much strength in my muscles. I can do anything they ask. My reflexes are normal. I don't have any motor neuron death. My lumbar puncture is normal. I have a hair sample though that shows mineral deficiency . I've had a motor neuron antibody test and it's negative. So we know for a fact that it's not a motor or sensory disease. My tinnitus is believed to be caused by my weak neck muscles, tension in it and the back. My hearing is above average.

• Posted

The Mayo was a huge disappointment. All of my testing was done local, they didn't do a thing for me when I got there

• Posted

Hi erik, I hope you don't have this ALS stuff. But if you do end up with it. I got your back. I was well prepped for it before I was told. I felt actually relieved that they finally gave me a diagnoses. I didn't think that day was ever going to come after 4 years of nothing. I can't believe that I laughed when they told me. But I am fine, it is what it is. I deal with it and make everyday count. I am happy.

• Posted

I have another post in the ALS section on this site. It is about what I went through during my 3 plus years before Diagnoses. Doctors treat ALS like a light switch. But the fact is, you don't just wake up one morning and have it. There is a pre-ALS and this is something the doctors need to research closely. If not, than how are they ever going to find a cure? I was told for 3 years that I don't have ALS. They swore by it over and over again. And here I am, 3 months after diagnosis of having ALS. This alone will make you mad. But you cant get mad because anxiety makes MND worse. But it is what it is. I will say this though, the doctors will mislead you and hold out as long as they can before they will ever tell you that it is ALS. I guess they are scared of being wrong. But they will ask you to keep coming back every 3 months to check on you. What confirmed mine was that I started having brisk reflexes in my left knee and my tongue is starting a atrophy. I didn't know anything about ALS Tongue until I looked at a Youtube video of it. But my speech is starting to change. I am here to answer any questions that I can. I can just give my experiences so far. But everyone in different.

• Posted

Hello,

I can certainly say mine is not ALS. I have genetic testing, motor antibody testing, mine is negative. I can rebuild muscle, if I need to. Mine is due to deranged mineral transport . Mine started with neuropathy. I had malabsorption and constant inflammation of the digestive tract. It appears at this point that it is Mercury toxicity

• Posted

I had twitching in the cheek muscle with disappeared and never returned. I had onset of neuropathy with paralysis. That too went away. My muscle atrophy is perfectly symmetrical and not nerve related, it's due to systemic mineral defeciencies.. if I work out, mu muscles get bigger again. I don't really have any weakness really, mostly pain

• Posted

This is bazAr after u mentioned about tingling in my body I now feel some when I sit in my left foot now how crazy is this 
    • Posted

Soooo here I am playing football for the first time in over 15 yrs as a 41 yr old man today and played a full game and right after the game I could barley lift my legs in the car that's how sore I was now I know I have not ran full speed as a receiver like this in a long time but not sure if that's normal most ppl feel it the next day so wondering if this as well is not a good sign 

• Posted

So after the fact feeling like my body been hit by a truck had to install carpet like this today slamming my knee off the knee kicker and now the bottom of my feet tingling so not sure now what that's from 

• Posted

Hello, so just curious when u say sore throat like what part of it like far left or right side closer to ur tonsil area where it almost hurts ur ear canal like slight ear pain ? Also when did ur sore throat issues kick it along with the trouble swallowing was it right away or like now when u are further in your stages 
    • Posted

Also here what do u mean brisk reflexes in ur left knee ? U mean when they hit u with the hammer there ? Cause the APRN hit mine and swore she said was a little bit on the not normal side and said my other leg moved when she hit the other one and my other doctor did not see what she saw so idk 
    • Posted

No bro too scared at the moment for that news I have like a small sore on my tonsil area and aches so now fearing mouth cancer on top of all this .. I know the difference between a canker sore and this thing I get sores often in my mouth but never on my tonsil back of throat not sure why my blood clean as a whistle been checked for everything 
    • Posted

Thanks I have soar throat that comes and goes. Tests are fine. Inflammatory cytokines can cause that and will not show up in blood tests. Man, I really would do the emg.The pressure was greater for me not knowing than taking the test
    • Posted

Yes but u don't have like a yellowish round sore back there so mine maybe different type of sore throat .. but nobody describes where they feel the sore throat like lower bottom or sides by the tonsils like what's the location .. and emg if is ok still don't matter from speaking with power tools he had clean emg if I'm not mistaken .. now if there was a fight or cure then yes would want to know but they tell u it's dirty all ur going to do is bug out of fear it all depends how brave u are I guess and attitude. I'm already a basket case when it comes to that so no good for me .. month 4 now and twitching not subsiding so don't look good for me waiting to hear a success story of twitching all over that turned out to be nothing that would be nice !

• Posted

Erik

Less than one percent of ALS patients have a clean emg. That's from John's Hopkins and Cleveland clinic. If fasisculations, weakness, and or atrophy are present the emg will find ALS in over 99 percent. There is a condition called benign fasisculation syndrome and most fasisculations are benign...they are present in over 100 different nerve or muscle disorders. Again , I have them and atrophy and I do not have ALS. The reason it's important to find out asap is if someone had ALS , they can use their muscles sparingly and save their energy. An emg isn't bad ....it wasn't for me and I had two.

• Posted

Well I'm sure the test will pick up the fasisticulations .. also u say use muscles sparingly but I heard to keep them active and alive ? Played football again after 10 days rest well as much rest as I can get and I lasted one hour cause the fist game I went the whole game no problems till the end where My upper quads killed me then this time around first couple sprints felt like that came right back played thorough it then chased a deep ball and felt like I pulled a quad and that was it for me but the next day when I thought I was going to be in massive pain I   Stretched it out it wasn't that bad but still walking with a limp a little because of the tightness and pain it hurts to push on it with my fingers so I'm not sure what defines muscle weakness  in comparison to my activities seeing how I have not played any sports in 15 years and jump right back into it I'm all confused when I go to the gym do legsas I already have skinny tiny legs anyways but they feel pretty strong

• Posted

Also it's not the EMG test I fear in itself it's the results and how I'm going to cope with that if they are dirty could ruin the last few good years I have left then I don't know

• Posted

You keep the muscles going through light aerobics but not powerful exercises if you have ALS. With ALS, it's a fine balance if when to use your muscles and when not too. There's not much evidence that shows keeping them active prolongs atrophy so it's usually recommended by therapists to save them rather than work them. Stationary bikes and stretching would be what's recommended for someone. When I thought I had it, I researched it until I was blue in the face

• Posted

I understand your fear but remember the test won't actually ruin anything for you......if you have it (not saying you do) it's going to reveal itself whether you get the test or not. I had a friend who had it. He thought for two years he had it but didn't get tested. He told us that the worst thing he ever did was not get checked earlier . Also, there are over 30 confirmed cases of ALS that reversed. I've read up on them . It's rare but has happened. Good luck

• Posted

Here's the thing though if u can't live doing what you love then ur just exsisting so what's the point of living just to exsist .. however after the holidays I may man up and do the test .. I must say though I have a bad feeling is why don't want to confirm and before I went to that nit wit APRN that threw the A bomb at me right away my twitching had subsisted post our meeting it's off the charts again right eye non on and off all day everyday and back on my stomach when those ones had seemed to go away .. either way this is not sporadic I gave myself this disease due to not resting and a crazy lifesyle and stress I have read some great articles on this as none of this disease is anywhere in my family tree I believe I damaged my nervous system as I fear so much being a hypo my whole life 

• Posted

Well maybe they are benign and nothing serious. Sometimes doctors or nurses step out of line and say things they shouldn't. My first doctor did that to me. There is also a condition called benign cramp fasisculation syndrome similar to benign fasisculation syndrome accept excessive cramps. Let me know how you do, Good luck

• Posted

Sorry for ur friend so scary and this thing not sounding so rare these forums show me there are tons of cases out there .. but why was his mistake not getting tested at least he had the wonder not confirmed to live with the fact that well maybe it's something else " also that APRN said the same thing will reveal itself but I like the buy my time thing and live by running and sports and doing as much stuff as I can living as if I'm not taking one day for granted and eat and take every remedy I can think of in natural medicine I saw this dr whelch guy online but looks as tho experts are countering him as a fraud and giving dangerous advice overloading on supplements 

• Posted

He said his mistake was that he worked his body down, he said he wanted extra time with his family...that's what he told everyone. In the rare cases I found of reversal, it was caught very early

• Posted

I'm trying to stay positive but I'm not going to fool myself as I even have twitching by my jaw line and neck it's all over not a good sign not like it's one area specific it all points to bad plus this APRN got convinced my hitting my knees and my heel with that hammer she saw something there .. idk nerves run in my family not to serious but my sister is a mess my mom has chronic anxiety but my sister is worse she had a mini stroke they said lupus now they saying not that so they can't figure her out either my luck just sux anyway my whole life been a struggle my wife is a mess too been trying to have a kid and can't she going on her third surgery for severe endometriosis 😬😱😤

• Posted

I'm sorry for all of you, I understand the family issues that go along with something like this. I'm unable to work and I'm only 39. I have days when I improve and days when I don't. I don't know how much recovery I will have but I'm praying it's a little more each day

• Posted

I will send u everything I know about the brain and nervous system for recovery I will send info here of all the findings that have been  show  to work on lab rats for testing they did with the certain supplements my findings are the more antioxidants in your body the better it's not a cheap system but hey what do you have to lose

• Posted

Exactly, sometimes we have to research and heal ourselves . Doctors are not always going to take the time to follow our situation and listen
    • Posted

Well looks like things might be getting worse now, I now notice this tingling in my legs and feet and arms  now when I sit in any type of position it's only month 5 from when twitching started and can't believe it's setting in this fast whatever it is with my neck pointing down position it gets worse if I stand I can still feel light tingling In my feet but not as bad as when I'm siting don't look good for me ..🙁

• Posted

Erik have you been scratched or bitten by any animals?  My symptoms started out of no where a month after I was cratched by a stray cat.  Your symptoms are the same as mine,  muscle aches, muscle twitches tingling, weird sensations in throat.  I had the sore in my throat also.  I have a journal of all my symptoms from when they started in April.  When it started it scared the s**t out of me.  Progression from the muscles to the central nervous system.  
    • Posted

No however I did get bit over the summer I guess by some mosquitos and swelled up pretty good but no cat scratches or animals just possible spider bite or mosquito 
    • Posted

I hear the Lyme disease test is tricky.  Maybe you should get tested for that against you haven’t already.  Your symptoms sound very much like Lyme disease.  
    • Posted

I actually have the high end test in a box now I need to take for Lyme did a basic one and now have the better one but my doc don't think it's Lyme and neither do I but last ditch effort 

• Posted

After reading your replies, I have the same exact symptoms you started out with. I’m praying it’s nothing serious like ALS. At first I was nervous it was MS but now that doesn’t seem so bad. Did you ever have an MRI on your back? 
    • Posted

No, but I never hurt my back and also back would not cause twitching in places like my face ..
    • Posted

West Nile virus, possibly?  I’m going to get a mold test kid for my home.   Maybe black mold in your home? 
    • Posted

Nope, had a professional company test all my air inside my house called industrial hygienist and all was clean except for typical dust, soot, Portland cement dust like that was detected 
    • Posted

Have you ever looked up symptoms of MS? They do MRI of back to find lesions on spine and my lip has been twitching also... doctor appt today thankfully! 
    • Posted

i have had 2 neruo d here docs here do a brain mri, and 2 upper and middle spin mri's with nothing showing they see. twitching has now gone from my legs and feet and eye last 8 months to now this last weekend and one before to include my chest and throat. all on left side of my body. doc now referred me to may clinic, which scared the hell out of me since have to travel alone for a weeks testing, plus cost is over $1000 just in hotels and airfare, not including tests cost. but it is getting worse and they have no evidence. had emg done that showed no abromalities either, all blood work with what test they run show nothing. i am lost, cannot even hardly get to sleep now with twitching in throat and chest, have it all on video. hopefully someone can find something at mayo after all this will cost me at least another 4k.

• Posted

Do u find yourself having trouble swallowing? Like not at first like the end swallows like the last little bit of your breads and foods like that ?
    • Posted

no have not had that happen, just continous twiching that moves all over my left side from body part to body part
    • Posted

Well that's good one less thing to worry about there 

• Posted

I just can't believe I was fine one day go to sleep and wake up to all these twitches all over my body don't make sense didn't just start in one area was all over it really attacks my stomach for some reason but  virtually  all over the body don't make any sense 

• Posted

Hi Erik. I hope you get this message and reply. I saw a director of the ALS clinic in Tampa for the University of South florida. He told me west Nile can cause twitching muscles if you get infected with the virus. I t may take a year or two until you get rid of it. You must build your immune system up make it strong use antioxidants. Use alpha lipoic acid. 600 mg a day may help you. I use it. I had explosion of twitching all over my body after I was ill. I went to mayo shands and usf. I had 6 emgs. All normal. I was told autoimmune response to a virus but mine atarted after I had two vaccines. One for flu one for pneumococcal with taking prednisone. I believe it was due to the mercury in the vaccines. Vials used for multi use have mercury still single use dont. I am 15 months since it all began and 7 months in my twitching slowed but never went full away. I twitch mayne. A handful a day. I have days I have none or 1. I started using alpha lipoic acid in my 4 month along with vitd3 which I was seriously deficient in and I take vit e magnesium. Drink gatorade everyday and water. I would like to have chelation but no one close to me does IV chelation. I am having my remaining two silver fillings removed before I can have chelation. I have normal strength bike 5 to 6 miles a day. Walk 5 miles use weights for my arms. Never had weakness after I started geting better from being ill. I had numbness in my face constantly for a year it finally subsided a month ago. I get weird sensation buzzing tingling etc. I have been told by 4 neuromuscular neurologist I dont have als but I was very frightened. Start the supplements and light exercise to improve your overall strength. I take Elavil 25mg a night for pain and sleep. Let me know how you ared doing.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the info.. the thing is I never fell ill at all except my normal stuff that everyone gets . That being said I sleep fine and have no pain really only here and there after lots of physical work . Scary thing for me is now I have clicking everywhere now which is weird and I'm still strong as an ox .. I never had the flu shot or anything like that also I had most of my silver fillings out of my mouth but quite possible the damage has already been done if that causes some symptoms not sure cause I had lots of it at one point .. west Nile maybe a cause but I never got sick from it if in fact I got that after I was bit my whole hand swelled up pretty bad I remember and after that either a coincidence or maybe some substance to it we see but I take anything over the bad one .. I'm going to start a health regime now even though I eat good and drink good already 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.