muscle twitching and cramps anyone???

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am in peri-menopause and have had significant muscle twitching (mostly in calves and feet, but occasionally in torso area).  Now it seems like my leg and feet muscles are trying to cramp up.  I have been eating very well, doing a "reset" and only doing fruit, veggies protein and healthy fats and be as "clean" as possible with the food.  My chiropratic neurologist thinks it is due to inflammation and some sort or neuropathy,  and its getting worse not better.  I have also seen my primary care MD to rule out any serious nervous system issues such as ALS, MS and parkinsons....no one thinks that  what i have is serious , but I am at the end of my rope here.  Anyone else experience this and did you find something that helped???

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Edited

All part of peri I have experienced numerous off / on twitches and aches n pains that come and go. Scary I've seen every doctor and read so much about it and it's scary how our body acts . I'm 43 yo and been going on for 2 plus years! It'll get better! 🙂

• Edited

I get them and have since 2012! I've notced after my probotoc drink they are worse. I get them in my calfs, feet arms , hands and even in chest! I get muscle twitches every single day!  I notice it started when I was close to meno! I even have had them shoot all the way through my entire body! I got the charlie horses talk about pain! My husband passed away from ALS so I know what the ALS muslce twtiches look like and every symptom with ALS. I think alot of women get them in peri and meno. I even had legs / arms/fingers to jerk .  Your Neuro wasn't interested in doing a EMG? I'm sure its ALL hormone related , oh I forgot I get them in eye and lip too. 

• Posted

I have muscle twitching but only at night when I lay down. It is controlling my life.
  • Edited

Yes I am a twitcher too! All I can say Epsom salt baths seems to calm them down a little and anxiety makes them worse!
  • Posted

Hi

I get them in hands and legs especially at night. I'm so glad found this website. Now known I'm not crazy.

• Posted

As I'm typing now I'm having muscle twitching. I'm hoping like you this will stop soon. Perimenopause is no joke I didn't think you could have a lot of symptoms. I saw on this site 66 things can happen and I've had 46 of them. Hang in there and drink lots of water that seem to calm mine down to a minimal. Good luck.

• Posted

I take B12 – 1000ug in the mornings. In the evening I take Osteocare original by Vitabiotics it has (Calcium-Magnesium-D3 & Zinc) the magnesium is for muscle pain & D3 is for bone pain. I have researched this as I had pain all over especially in my arms & neck & couldn’t bare the pain any longer it was driving me insane! I am so happy this has worked for me, it took a good couple of months to kick in but I feel like my old self again! Doctors don’t seem to know enough about the change & as long as you get all your blood test done, its better trying an alternative. I am now on HRT which has stopped my night sweats & I can finally get a good night sleep.

• Posted

Magnesium, magnesium, magnesium! 2chr2015 mentions Epsom salts - magnesium. There are several different sorts, I take Mag malate. Some are best avoided and the one in the 'supermarket' vits and mins is really not worth having.

I used to get leg cramps that woke me up - agony. Not one since I started the magnesium.cheesygrin

Due to modern farming practices, most of us are mag. deficient. Calcium as a supplement is not a good idea (far better from diet source), but without magnesium to 'balance' it, calcium can be deposited in the places you DON'T want it.

You won't hear this from your doctor. For all the years they study their 'craft' they only spend a few hours on nutrition.

• Posted

thank you!   I am going to my special shop today to talk with the person there who is quite knowledgable about vits/mins/supplements.  Yesterday i had a rather good day and today....as soon as i woke up the legs started going.  I ma looking at one good day as a good sign, and staying positive that i WiLL get through this  !
  • Posted

Definitely I agree with magnesium. And drink plenty of water. I used to wake up in the middle of the night with excruciating leg cramps couldn't even stand or walk on it. Would run very hot water on it for about ten minutes and it would relax it back to normal. But by god the pain in the muscle at the time.. 😩😩😩💤 but then started drinking. Water and the disappeared. Amazing.

• Posted

I had a left leg cramp that my leg gave out. It took my husband almost 30 minutes to rub it out. It was a rolling cramp he would rube one spot out and it would move to the next. My children thought they were going to have to call an ambulance. Never want to experience that again
    • Posted

Hi

I have been dealing with the same issue. Difficult to put any weight on that leg comes and goes crazy.

• Posted

Calcium requirements

How much calcium you need depends on your age and sex. Note that the upper limit in the chart represents the safe boundary — it's not how much you should aim to get. If you exceed the upper limit, you may increase your risk of health problems related to excessive calcium.

19-50 years 1,000 mg 2,500 mg

51 and older 1,200 mg 2,000 mg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.