Muscle twitching and vibrations

Posted , 46 users are following.

Hello all,

I got COVID in January and a few weeks after i got rid of the virus I started getting muscle twitches all over my body (fasciculations). I've also noticed a rippling effect in my muscle fibres during contraction.

I was wondering if anyone has also experienced similar symptoms after beating the virus?

5 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

How are you doing now Greg99? For me the twitching started 4 days after getting my second vaccine shot. It was from Pfizer. It started in my left bicep first and for a long time, it was confined to that area. After few weeks, the twitching started in the right bicep. And eventually after a few more weeks, the twitching started in the rest of my body like legs, back, abdomen, and neck. It freaks me out as it never happened to me before. When I searched the Internet for symptoms like this, I guess we all know the scary names that pop up. I think the more I focus on it and the more I read about other symptoms, they start showing up on my body. So, I decided not to google anything anymore and think of this more as the body's reaction to an external vaccine. I hope this will go off eventually as the vaccine fades. I am even thinking should I take the booster shot in the future! Anyways, I noticed the twitching's are more frequent when I am resting , like when I wake up intermittently I can feel the little murmurs in my back, leg, biceps, etc. Once I am active, it limits to only biceps and fewer areas. And the tremors, I felt them a lot initially but I think that has come down over the period of time. Its been 4 months now and I hope it goes off soon.

I have started meditating now. I do it for like 30 - 45 mins daily. I think that has helped in my calming my anxiety and I read it helps to reduce these symptoms. I would recommend trying this. Take care all. I wish you all get back to your regular twitch free lives soon. And thanks for sharing your experience.

• Edited

hi Sam - how are you doing now? i cannot tell exactly when you wrote this response.

• Edited

I am so glad I came across this thread! I was beginning to think I was loosing my mind, or getting MS (I had an immediate family member with MS). But when I read your accounts, it is exactly what I experienced after a mild COVID infection. I visit my Dr tomorrow for the first time, but my muscle twitches are quite similar to what you explain, and yes, worse after exercise. Thanks for posting!!!

• Edited

I am so glad I came across this thread! I was beginning to think I was loosing my mind, or getting MS (I had an immediate family member with MS). But when I read your accounts, it is exactly what I experienced after a mild COVID infection. I visit my Dr tomorrow for the first time, but my muscle twitches are quite similar to what you explain, and yes, worse after exercise. Thanks for posting!!!

• Posted

hi km - how are you now , 15 months later ? did the the twitching improve? i am so curius to know. its been almost 3 months of this for me and its been awful

• Edited

Im 33 years old and had covid Aug 6th, 2021 and other than severe fatigue, low pulse rate, and breathing issues was doing okay with that recovery other than getting anxiety. I got my second Moderna shot about three weeks later (My first shot happened before covid). I got very sick for just a few hours after the vaccination but started feeling better and that lasted a couple of days. I slowly I begin to have light tremors and my depression and anxiety went through the roof as I begin to think the worst. My primary suggested low dose zoloft and ativan to cope with these symptoms. I begin to have pain in the palms of my feet and hands and well as around my wrists. Then my hands and legs even across my back began to tingle or have a burning sensation and that particular night this numbness begin to creep up my legs and arms. I panicked and went to the ER thinking it was Gillian barre syndrome, but was told it sounded like peripheral neuropathy. The next day which was four days ago the muscle twitches started and I about lost my mind thinking it was ALS also I noticed a few palipatations during that time but not since then. I have continued to have the twitches and they are in my feet, legs, butt, face, back, ribs, stomach, arms places I didn't even know a muscle existed also I had tmj pain and earache recently with these twitches...Theres not enough anxiety meds to fix what I'm feeling right now but I'm beyond thankful I found this and others experiencing the same. I'm also lined up for a ton of tests and going to the neurologists soon and will ask about the coincidences in all of our symptoms. I have read on another site where some of these symptoms are being treated with steroids and meds used to treat HIV so all of that is very interesting. I have five children and I'm trying to be as active as possible but depending on the symptoms some days I enjoy rest. Any advice on how yall further have been coping or gaining strength please share.

• Edited

reading this thread is just like everything that is happening to me - anyone got any updates since the last post above?

initially i was told STROKE! then had head CR/MRI and all clear - so then they said Essential Tremor + anxiety causing the tremors/muscle twitch/cramp/fasciculations (but all that started BEFORE i was anxious about what it was!) then i was told it was Benign cramping fasciculation syndrome, and given other meds , having an EMG friday,

have lots of stomach issues with constipation which seems to make all my symptoms much worse

ive paid for spine MRI (nothing found), celiac (paid for and negative) , auto immune disorders (paid for a blood test but all negative), vitamin blood test (all ok)

I had my booster covid 4 weeks before it began to show (jan 22) but i remember waking up with my arms tremoring thinking i was having bad dreams at least 3 weeks before they started happening all the time + muscle twitches.

hope we all get some answers, and some peace!

• Edited

hi guys. thanks for sharing your stories. I'm actually going through something similar. im a 25 year old female. A few weeks after my (3rd) booster pfizer shot I started getting tremors. Tremors led to crawling sensations on my left leg ( spidery feeling) or a feeling of my blood fizzing? My left arm had pains and spasms. This all started November last year. For the last 4/5months I’ve been having non stop muscle twitching literally everywhere. My arms, glutes, calves, thighs, sometimes even chest and I can’t help but think ALS as it’s getting worse day by day. doctors are telling me ‘anxiety’ but tbh, I can’t help but feel like my anxiety is as a result of all this happening. I have been rather stressed out due to all these sudden symptoms and it doesn’t help that neurological diseases are very hard to pinpoint especially in early stages. I had all my blood tests done, I had an EMG and an MRI of neck, brain and spine all came back normal except one of my thyroid levels (FT4) was high. My Other thyroid levels were normal. There seems to be a link between thyroid and these symptoms so I shall be getting further advice for this and keep an update. In the mean time, I highly recommend getting a neurologist appointment and asking for a blood test including your Creatine Kinase (CK) which is often found to be high in ALS patients. Ask for an EMG also. If these tests come back normal please follow them up in a few months time to keep an eye on them just for extra security! With NHS here sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands and be demanding or you will sadly dismissed 😦 good luck and let’s hope it really is just a chronic fight or flight system on overdrive

• Edited

I tested posivitive for Covid 2 weeks ago. my symptoms have been mild and I was not concerned at first but after 14 days I still have a low grade fever around 100 degrees. I also lost the sense of smell on day 5 and has not returned yet. On day 6 I received the Regenerom treatment. I was not sure I needed but everyone thought I should get it to keep the symptoms from getting worse so I did. Starting that night I starting having this twitch right before falling asleep that keeps me up. After 2 nights of not being able to sleep I contacted my doctor who prescribed Xanax. It has been helping sleep but as soon as it wears out the twitching comes back. I really don't know if it is a result of the Regeneron treatment or covid. It has me very concerned as well as the fever. I hope to make it through this.

• Edited

It is bittersweet reading everyone's replies to this! It is somewhat relieving to know that you're not alone with these symptoms but also frustrating to not have any concrete answers. I have experienced the same. I had all the symptoms of long term covid. I never had a positive covid test but I did have a positive antibody test. Flu like symptoms in December that turned into a headache and fatigue like I had never felt before. I could barely walk up the stairs. Laundry was too much for me to handle. (I am a healthy 37 year old female, high energy, ex college athlete with two boys I was going on runs with while they rode bikes the month before this happened). This turned into burning in my hands and feet that quickly turned into joint pain to the point that I had trouble walking and opening a water bottle. This migrated to my lower back (SI joints) and I couldn't drive because the pain was too much. This then turned to neurological symptoms (while the former symptoms did not go away) where I would wake up with tremors, hear palpitations, racing heart, inability to control my temperature, phantom pains where it felt like my arms were being pulled off of my body and then I would wake up and there was no pain. I had the muscle twitching and also slight jerks in my limbs. The worst of it all was going numb from my left ear all the way to my left foot and waking up feeling numb. I had extreme inflammation that travelled throughout my body. I saw a rheumatologist, spine doctor, cardiologist, went to the ER, a neurologist, saw my PCP multiple times and all tests and bloodwork came up normal and as they called my 4 MRI's and multiple X-rays, unremarkable. I was given diclofenac and a muscle relaxer to calm the inflammation and the neurological symptoms in March. Within 1 month I was able to do a half mile walk slowly and the pain and neurological symptoms started draining away. I have since been on an extreme low anti-inflammatory diet and have taken measures to live a calm(ish) lifestyle (incorporated meditation, yoga, earlier bed time, etc.). I am feeling very little pain now, can go running with my boys again, handle my workday, drive long distances, laundry... you name it! However, I still have the facilitations and the foot, arm and leg jerks. It is truly the most unnerving thing! So far, as everyone else has shared, no doctor has presented an answer. I have had one doctor tell me that viral reactions eventually go away over time and only time will tell. Another told me that some viral reactions produce symptoms that you could end up having forever. Neither felt too encouraging. I have had some direction from a few medical doctors as well as holistic advisors though that has helped and may help others on this thread. Here are some of the things I do now that help:

Daily Vitamin D, B complex, multi vitamin

Daily electrolytes

I was told muscles need Magnesium, Potassium, and Calcium. I do all of these

Limit caffeine or any other stimulant as this can increase the twitching

Low stress has been the key: so I add meditation, yoga and stretching as much as I can find time for to my day. I have started going for a massage every 2 weeks.

I add daily juices and lots of greens to keep inflammation away. Add lots of turmeric and ginger as well.

Tons of water. If I am not hydrated the twitches erupt again.

I will workout but not to the point that my muscles feel strained or exhausted since this also can increase twitching and it sure does for me! This sucks sometimes because I love a good workout but love not feeling the twitching more.

I notice when I don't stick to this the twitching and jerks get worse. It is sometimes hard to do but when I stick to this the twitching is minimal, and does not bother me, and when they don't seem to bother me my anxiety levels are lower, and you guys know how the anxiety and twitching cycle can go down a rabbit hole quickly!!

Hopefully this might help someone in the interim until medically they can figure out why COVID causes this and what the long term outlook is for those of us who are experiencing this. Hopefully we will all get answers and a way to rid ourselves of it!

• Edited

Yes! I unknowingly had covid and experienced this symptom for months and thought I was losing my mind! (Confirmed positive later by infectious disease doctor.) I also got covid again, this time confirmed, and am going through this symptom all over again. It's bizarre! Mine seems to bother me mostly in the evening and while sleeping. Interestingly, I found sleeping propped up helps. I suspect in my case it has something to do with blood flow in supine position. Long covid is almost more bizarre of an experience for me than was covid.

• Edited

Hi everyone,

I have been hesitant to search my symptoms but since getting my first Moderna Shot (Mid March 2021), I have had a similar experience to many of you in this forum. It is nice to know I am not the only one, as I have yet to talk to anyone in person, or a doctor (GP and a Neurologist, who did not say I did not have these things, but did say she had not heard of this in regards to the vaccine, following up with her this coming week) who has recognized my symptoms. Coming and going mild numbness, the tingling sensations in many spots, but seems a more in the extremities. I can also say laying flat on my back and really focusing on not moving seems to alleviate the twitching after a few seconds, but of course comes back once I start to move again. I described the muscles to my neurologist as my muscles acting 110% of what I need when I move sometimes. I had no history of mental health concerns prior to this but now have anxiety / depression like others here. I have yet to really find anything that makes the tingling symptoms worse "on demand" apart from maybe exercise, but so far hard to confirm, but seems likely from others in the forum. I have not found anything to make me feel better "on demand" but have been trying various breathing exercises, Progressive Muscle Relaxation, and talking to a therapist. I have had some good days and some days were I feel basically "normal", so I can say it is possible to improve in ways here and there! I have had an MRI that came back clean and GP says my heart sounds fine. I have not felt the same since I received my vaccinations and this really seemed to hit me all at once, best I remember at least. I am a 29 y/o male in the US. I will also point out that I simultaneously started getting almost like abdominal muscle "tightening" I guess I would say. As in I am clenching my stomach all the time unless I think about relaxing it, messaging it, etc.

Anyone else had any recent updates? I will add anything new I find out. I am not in to taking any of the drugs regarding neurotransmission or modulation so hoping there are other ways or this will dissipate perhaps as the antibodies wane from the first 2 shots. Really hesitant to get my booster. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Take care and we will figure this out everyone!!

• Edited

Luc,

Any updates? How are you feeling now? Hoping you are much better!

• Posted

Also curious, how are you now Luc? What helped if anything... I am not able to tell how long ago people posted in this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.