Muscle twitching and vibrations

Posted , 46 users are following.

Hello all,

I got COVID in January and a few weeks after i got rid of the virus I started getting muscle twitches all over my body (fasciculations). I've also noticed a rippling effect in my muscle fibres during contraction.

I was wondering if anyone has also experienced similar symptoms after beating the virus?

5 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hello,

Just wanted to add to the list of twitching souls here. I don't know if I have had Covid but would not doubt it, not confirmed though. One week after first dose of Moderna I woke up barely able to lift my vaccinated arm, certainly not a cup of coffee. That lasted about a week and slowly got better. After my moderna booster, I began twitching. In my hands at first and then in my legs, especially my thighs. I began to have quite a bit of pain in my legs as well so I had to stop almost all exercise. I still walked frequently but could not do three days in a row. The muscle twitching has developed throughout my whole body although interestingly, the muscles that were affected at first are no longer affected. The twitching seems to be slowly progressing through all of the muscles in my body from my legs to my arms to my face and my torso. Obviously very nerve wracking. I have had all possible blood work, MRI, EMG, four neurology exams over the last year. All normal results. I will say that it is nice to know that I am not the only one facing this stuff though I would not wish the stress of it on anyone. I do feel like my symptoms are slowly improving and it seems like whatever it is, passes through a muscle for a while that it heals and doesn't start twitching again. That leaves me optimistic that it will eventually run out of muscles. Good luck to all of you.

• Posted

Hi Paul - how are you doing now (January 2023)? How long did your symptoms last?

• Edited

Oh boy, so glad I found this thread and reading how other folks are doing with these symptoms. I've been dealing with muscle and joint pain, twitches, cramping, dizziness and the likes. I think I had Covid this June, because everyone around me had it and I also felt sick (really bad fatigue, feverish, chest pain, but I got better without needing medical care). When I started getting better I also started having weird aches all over, arms or legs would randomly get numb or I'd get pins and needles everywhere (even on my face or my tongue). It made me freak out and I went to several doctors. I did blood tests, checked my thyroid, my lungs, my heart, my spine, did a brain MRI and everything came back looking normal. 3 different doctors told me it's severe anxiety and to check with a psychiatrist. The numbness went away in maybe 2-3 weeks and the pain and twitches started getting better by August (I wanna mentioned that I also made an effort to eat mostly plant based, gave up sugar and caffeine and tried to keep my anxiety in check). In September I travelled a bit and was out of the country for a couple of weeks. I think I might've caught the bug again because at the end of September I was feverish and had chest aches and was tired. After those started getting better, guess what? The numbness and aches and twitches are starting to act up again for about 3 days now. I'll see how long they last this time.

One more thing that could also fit these symptoms and isn't something that shows in any test is Fibromyalgia. From what I've heard it can also be triggered after an infection in the body and after that it's like your brain keeps trying to fight a virus that isn't there any more. It gives a really long list of symptoms, but the main is muscles aches and weakness and twitches. Also diziness, IBS, anxiety, brain fog etc. Stress and anxiety also make the symptoms worse or the pain to flare up. Hope everyone starts doing better soon.

• Posted

I have had muscle twitches for 2 months after covid I had a mild case of covid still some days or worse than others With twitches they started in my legs and now I get them in my arms legs and all over my bodyand I feel unsteady in and off balance. Legs feel heavy sometimes along with other other symptoms.

• Edited

Twitch could occur during the Covid but it probably is unrelated if the Covid has already gone for more than one month.

• Edited

Hi Greg,

I have just come across this, I'm having exactly the same symptoms.

I am 3 months in, have you still got yours? I see you posted this 18 months ago..

Many thanks

Dom

• Edited

I had covid about a month and a half ago, and like most of you I did not get that sick. but in January of 2019 I got what I thought was a really super bad flu, not long after I ended up with a blood clot in the hospital and had all kinds of strange symptoms for many many months after. it took me a lot of research on my own to find out that I was low in potassium. taking potassium and magnesium changed my life. potassium and magnesium were the main issue but I felt like I wasn't absorbing my vitamins and minerals like a normal person would.

now to current day after this last covid, that was not as bad as that year I just described, I started getting the twitching, the pulses, pretty much everything everybody's been describing, including heart palpitations. it's terrified me. I've already dealt with a blood clot on my lung and some of the symptoms I was having reminded me of that time. I went to the ER two or three times and they checked all my and did a full body CT scan for blood clots, and everything looks great. when I feel it coming on, and I can feel it coming on, I take some potassium. I have powder potassium, so it hits you pretty quickly. I don't want to recommend this to anyone because potassium is not something that you really want to mess around with. but from my experience it seems to really help with the Twitches and the muscle pains and craziness. I know that it causes me great anxiety because it's terrifying and scary. please if you decide to try potassium be careful, and I hope this is helpful and I hope we all get better.

• Edited

Thank you everyone for sharing. It is reassuring that others are going through the same.

I'm a 35 male from New Zealand. Had the initial 1st Pfizer in November '21 and started getting twitches mainly in my calf muscles, before spreading to other areas like biceps, abdomen, back, hips, glutes. This all started 2-3 weeks after jab. I never got the 2nd jab. I had the strange buzzing/tingling that others speak of, in the areas before the twitching started. The twitches would then stop and the buzzing/tingling would move to a different area and the process would continue. After many doctors visits and a few months, I was prescribed Pfizer nerve suppresants which I didn't take. I should mention that I had blood tests and an ultrasound which came back fine. I had a neurologist appointment booked for June. I got put on diazepam which reduced twitches however I became addicted very quickly and the side effects were awful and even woke up one night paralysed for about 3-4 mins..so got off the meds. During this time I had a neurologist appointment coming up but cancelled because I had read forums like this one and believed the neurologist would be a waste of money and time. So..I went all out to try and make myself better.. I ate well, meditated, did breathing exercises, did daily ice baths, took every tonic and supplement under the sun.. you name it I did it! slowly my symptoms reduced down by August until they were barely noticeable. Life was back to normal!.. until I got covid for the first time late October '22. I didn't get it very bad and was ok for about 3 weeks..and then the twitches came back. I suffered enormously mentally as I knew that this was going to likely be around for months. And here I am! 29 December. Doing all the same things I did last time and sometimes getting symptoms to reduce but they always come back. It's all over my body and some of the episodes are relentless. I would call them tremors rather than twitches. These tremors can go all day.. I had started to become very paranoid about early onset nervous system diseases until I read this forum and see more posts since last time I saw it. It reminded me of what this is and that only time will heal. I am going to book an appointment with a neurologist more for my mental health, however I know that it will go away eventually. It's just daunting to think about months of this. I will keep an eye on this thread and post with updates of anything that is helping. I hope you are all hanging in there and I wish for a speedy recovery for everyone. This is a real challenge. All the blessings to you who is reading this! hang in there.

• Posted

Have you had your SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, IgG tested?

• Edited

I sympathize! Had Covid about 3 times. Last was Dec 2021. I have feet injuries but not as bad til after Covid! Muscles tight, cramp in feet, legs when overweight, over lifting , but; Swear is Covid long haule effects. Some nights the bottom and tops feet, and ankles and into legs burn, cramp, soar, stiff!! Tendons pulling too. Scared! Epsom salts cream and heat pad helps but sometimes so bad have get up 2-4 x night to walk off the cramps, pain. Post Menopause HOTFLASHES make the pain, stiff, cramps occur and greatly increase. After hotflash I am ok until next one. Its awful. Joints pain also on a off and more with overuse of body, feet, heavy lifting. Praying Covid and menopause will be over someday. No vaccines, but many people in our building are vaccinated. Swear some of its contents are contagious. All I can tell you is 'don't give up'. Wait it out, things might change for the better. Sometimes I feel ok.

• Posted

I am in perimenopause and have been for almost 7 years now. I am also unvaccinated and had covid at least twice now. Once in February of 2020 and now this week, August of 2023. The first was a severe case. I was in bed for like 9 days. This time I have felt bad for 10 days but only in bed for one whole day and that's it. I am on day 11 now and it feels like a roller coaster. Yesterday i felt better and today I feel bad again. I'm so over this! So my brother works in a factory and EVERY time people in his department gets a covid vaccine or a booster, he gets really sick even though he's unvaccinated. There's definitely a correlation!

• Edited

so glad to have found this thread. I am a physician in the US. I got Covid in November 20 20. A mild case with just flu like symptoms and loss of sense of smell for a couple of days. Began to have muscle fasciculations about a week later. starting in my calves, but then progressing to the rest of my legs and feet and arms and shoulders, abdominal muscles and even the intercostal muscles (between my ribs). Drove me crazy. and interferred with sleep for many months. as a trained physician, and being awake at all hours of the night, i thought of all the potential common causes ( thyroid, vitamin deficiencies), as well as the scarier ones. Completed many blood tests. as well as MRI, and EMG.

reassuringly these were all fairly normal, except one slightly abnormal antibody test. ruled out all the potentially scary diagnoses which i will not list here. It was beginning to settle down on its own after about 3 months but then I got my first dose of Covid vaccine, and it all flared up again. I got another round of test again all pretty normal. i also had some intermittent muscle spasms and cramping as well. After it flared up after the Covid vaccine I had started myself on some prednisone thinking it was possibly an autoimmune/inflamatory reaction and it was 100% helpful and my muscles were no longer twitching. however, whenever I tried to stop the prednisone, it would flare up again. Prednisone has many side effects and it’s not good to be on a very long so it wasnt a long term solution . The twitching did come back, when i stopped it but over many months it has gradually subsided. I sometimes still have to take a sleep medicine sometimes (half tab of over the counter sleep aid) to help with sleep at night. It did flare up with exercise and heat for the first 10 months, but that is getting better and I have been able to re-introduce more intense exercise without it bothering me too much. I agree- It is a head trip and causes a lot of anxiety. But over many months, I have become accustomed to it and learn to accept it. I am thankful for the nights when my legs are quiet and i am able to sleep and exercise. Over time I do believe it is getting better. I have also had some tremor and shakiness in my hands and body and movements that dont seem as smooth as they used to be. also somewhat atypical and strange and something i or my doctors cant quite seem to explain but believe that is getting better with time also. I have also had some intermittent swelling and joint pain but again that also seems to be subsiding . it sometimes feels like there is still flareups, where these symptoms get worse- two steps, forward, one step back, (? wonder if it flares up with exposure to covid??) but it is still forward progress.

now that the exercise isn’t causing severe flareups and lost sleep, I do feel that maybe somehow the strength training exercise that I do is helping.

I write this having dealt with this for over two years now, as it seems comforting, somehow to know that others have experienced the same symptoms and its not all in our heads/imagined or caused by anxiety (though having such unresolved, unexplained and continual symptoms sure can cause anxiety and make it worse!) overall i appear to be gradually recovering, even though we don’t have a definitive diagnosis or treatment. i hope everyone else is getting better too!!

• Posted

It is amazing to finally find people experiencing this. I had covid late December of 22 and it was like a really bad flu. I was pretty much recovered after 5 or 6 days.

Fast forward to early January and starting up a New Years resolution exercise routine...doing 100 squats and 75 push ups a day and out of nowhere boom, muscle twitches.

I too have anxiety and my doctor ran some basic tests (neurological and blood work for possible Electrolytes deficiency). Everything came up normal.

I've been super stressed about it, but finding this forum really has eased my concerns. My question is should I dial back the exercise or hold off for a bit and come back to it in a few weeks.

Similarly, I'm going to talk to my therapist and try to just let it be.

good luck to you all and thanks for posting.

• Posted

Hi Greg, I also got COVID back in May 2020. In my case, COVID affected me neourologically. Everything started with my breathing after I had what seemed to be like a panick attack for thinking I could have COVID. It almost felt like I had to think about breathing, or else I would not breath. I went to the ER four times. The first three times I went they said that it was anxiety. Finally, the fourth time I went they said I had rhabdomyolysis. Prior to that fourth visit, I developed muscle twitches. At first, I felt them in my legs, and then they started spreading all over my body. I also felt like my body would internally vibrate when I was at rest. Not all the time, but sometimes. Long story short, it has been over 2 years now, and I still continue to have the muscles twitches. Sometimes I get muscle pain that comes and goes. Now, I started feeling pain in my upper back on the right side. I think it is the muscle as I had a CT scan of my chest done and everything seemed normal with my lungs. As far as weakness goes, however, I have not experienced any. I honestly think that COVID could be a cause to all of our symptoms. A doctor I know back in Mexico told me that he is seeing patients with fasciculations after getting COVID. For a long time, I was really scared because I did not know what was happening to me. I learnt to accept the fact that these twitches would be a daily part of my life now, along with the pain. To me, reading this post confirms that COVID can in fact affect us neurogically and leave us with long lasting symptoms.

How are you doing these days? Do you continue to have the muscle twitches?

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I have seen 3 neurologists. I have had the following tests done: MRIs of my brain and neck, an EMG, blood works, CT scans, Xrays, an EKG, an EEG, and neuro tests, and everything was normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.