Muscle wastage in both legs

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was on simvastin for 4 years and developed bad pain in both legs when standing up.  I have to steady myself before I can start walking.  I have CK in my blood tests.  I was told by my doctor to stop taking the statins.  I have got worse in my legs after 6 months. Doctor put me on another statin.  When I read the same side effects as simvastin I didn't take any.  I couldn't believe that doctor would put me on a tablet that caused the same bad side effects. I will be going to have my blood tests done soon but would like to know whether anyone has asked about sueing the statin drug company and would the doctor be helpful about it? 

0 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have reported both Simvastatin and Avastatin via the Yellow Card Routine.
  • Posted

Hi voo - sorry to read of your problems with the poison known as statin. Pleased to read that you have ceased taking them and that you have overruled your doctor's second attempt to put you back on them. After 4 years it may take some time for your body to expel the toxins caused by statins. I was on Lipitor for two years, quitting in August 2015 against doctors orders (he had constantly dismissed the snowballing distress and issues caused by that drug). I am still experiencing negative effects though they are diminishing.

Some things that I have discovered after researching statins: They can cause rhabdomyelosis (a muscle wasting disease that is irreversible); type 2 diabetes; memory loss - including alzheimers; liver damage; renal damage; depression; hair loss; eczema. Cholesterol is a substance produce by every organ, primarily the liver, and is crucial for the proper functioning of the body. 25% of the brain is cholesterol. Starving the body of cholesterol is setting people up for more serious issues later in life, thereby ensuring life-long consumers of medicines.

The 'safe' levels of cholestrol were altered from 6.0 to 5.0 in a health industry conspiracy not just to prescribe more statins, but to increase prescriptions issued for other drugs to try to fight the multiple negative effects caused by statin use. Healthy and young patients are being prescribed statins automatically when there is even just a hint of suspected heart issues. It is a multi billion dollar industry.

The pharmacuetical companies - whose mantra is to get every human being on the planet reliant on at least one of their products - have massive resources and engage the best lawyers who will litigate against a complainant until the complainant is broke or dead. They have no soul. The only viable way to sue for the criminal acts of these conglomerates is by class action, but this will never happen if doctors and scientists will not stand up and tell the truth.

Wishing you the very best for a statin free future. You are not alone.

• Posted

Thanks for your reassuring comments you have put into words the way I feel.  I don't like the bunching up of people and making cholesterol the bad guy.  I feel that everyone has their own level of cholesterol that isn't harming them.  A relation said I shouldn't have taken them at all but, I believed in the hype that it's a wonder drug.    
    • Posted

Hear hear!  I second that emotion.  

Was losing my mind, not anymore.  Nice memories from long ago that make me ME, that would not occur when on statins a year or 2 ago, are now coming in again, fresh and true.  

Nasty, nasty drug, and nasty nasty situation.

• Posted

Oh, and I forgot to add: There is no real evidence that statins actually prevent heart problems.
  • Posted

Hi Voo,

I'm really interested to read this.  I've been on statins (simvaston) for just over 4 years now, my cholesterol has gone down from 6.8 to 4.2 over that time (so I assume they were doing what they were supposed to).  I was wary about taking them initially as I had read about joint pain being a side effect and as I have osteoarthritis in both knees (and now my foot) that was the last thing I wanted more of!  For the last year or so I have really noticed the same issue with my legs as you stated and assumed it was down to my knee problems, I'm now wondering if that could be the statins.  I'm 46, a bit over weight but not obese but finding it really hard to exercise much now because of the aches and pains. I try to go out walking when I can but it's frustrating! I'm really debating whether to stop the statins for a while and see if I notice any changes. I've stupidly only just paid out for a new prescription though ;-( I suppose they will keep for a while if I need to start taking them again.

• Posted

Yes like you I took simvastin for 4 years beofre I realised that the terrible leg pains I had when standing wasn't right.  I have the usual aches and pains in my joints but the pains I developed were different as they are all over my legs and thighs. 

Doctor told me to try another statin ( stupidly I thought it wouldn't have the side effects that the simvastin has} that had the same muscle problems.  I haven't taken it and am trying a spread that has similar benefits but more natural.  (I think you might know the spread).  I'm due to have blood tests soon so I'll see what it has done to my cholesterol level.

If I were you though I would let the doctor know that you are thinking of  stopping the statins.  I'll have to confess to my doctor that I didn't take the alternative statins. After all I've read about cholesterol levels,  and the bad things that might happen if you have a level of 6,  I am having less faith in what doctors think is right.

• Posted

I spent quite a while yesterday reading comments on here and other articles about the effect of statins and OA, of course there were many contradictions so I've decided the only way I'll really know if they are what is affecting me is to stop taking them for a while and see if I feel any different. I do know which spread you mean but don't eat sandwiches very often so will need to find if anythign helps keep it lower.  If I do feel a change for the good after a month or so then I can go to the doctors and get a blood test and see how it has affected that as well.  I just don't have a lot of faith in them to come up with a better alternative at the moment. They've been no help whatsoever over the OA issue, I had to push them to let me have an x-ray to check that's what it was and even then have offered no advice or treatment apart from painkillers which did absolutely nothing to help!
    • Posted

On my last visit doctor told me there's still CK in my blood so she's aware that I have muscle wastage.  She gave me a prescription for paracetamol, which I know is cheap in supermarkets,  but as I'm 69 I get it free.  I told her I don't like taking some more tablets but she said it wouldn't hurt my liver or kidneys.  I just take a couple at night because the leg pain wakes me up with cramps.  She also mentioned physio but I declined because of the pain I know this will cause.  I think, like you, I'm getting nowhere.  Maybe if the doctors had the bad side effects they would understand better.

I hope you have a good blood test result at doctors and hope you will let us know.

• Posted

I wish I could find a dr that understands the side effect too voo
  • Posted

Latest I've read on the statin curse is that a study by the Cleveland Clinic et al of statins  found that only 1 in 6 of the most serious side-effects of statins is caused by the drug. The report I read doesn't say how many side-effects, other than serious, were found and I think that the word 'only' tends to play down the effects whereas to me 1 in 6 is a very large number and is still not recognised by doctors.

But this study does find that there is a problem which is a step in the right direction.

Will it make any difference to prescription rates? I doubt it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.