Muscle weakness and hypothyroidism

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there,

Does anyone else suffer from muscle weakness with hypothyroidism?

I've had horrible fatigue, weakness, headaches and a host of other symptoms the past 2 years. Eventually, after lots of blind alley endo tests, my TSH went to 8.2 and T4 went down to 9, so finally I was 'believed' by my gp that I was not just a hypochondriac and she put me on eltroxin. But after 5 weeks, there's not much improvement and the muscle fatigue, pain and stiffness is getting worse, so much so that I'm hobbling and waddling by the end of the day with hips, legs and feet so sore and useless. Muscles also spasm and sometimes jerk. I'm 45, have always done yoga and been active. Muscles seemed to have all turned to fat in the last 2 years. Am worried that there's something else going on with this extreme weakness so am going to ask gp for ref to a neurologist. Or could this new 85 year old body be just what I'm stuck with now?? I was on 10mg of amitriptiline for the pain but read that side effects can include muscle weakness so I've stopped that 2 days ago (don't know how I'll sleep now, but...)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just curious if any of you were diagnosed with fibromyalgia as well as/prior to diagnosis of thyroid problems? I was, but find it a difficult diagnosis to accept as no one can tell me definitively what it is. Now I'm hoping my symptoms were thyroid all along and can eventually be resolved. But maybe not..

• Posted

Yes I was. I'm not sure about that diagnosis either. Over the years I did have a neurology consult twice to rule out other problems.

• Posted

That's a relief, I think I'll go ahead with a neuro just to be sure, especially because of Peter's experience below..

• Posted

I think that is a good idea. That was one of the things I was tested for.
  • Posted

Spent 7 years thinking all my muscle weakness was due to hypothyroidism (which I have). Turned out I also had myasthenia gravis. A neurologist is definitely the way to proceed at this time. Its interesting your thyroid numbers are about what mine were when my new endo said the problem wasn't hypo and sent me to a neurophysiologist.

• Posted

Thanks Peter and I'm sorry to hear that, I hope the proper diagnosis has meant proper treatments and back to some sort of reasonable health?

• Posted

Autoimmune disease is part of hypothyroidism. Both Hashimoto’s and Grave’s are autoimmune. Thyroid patients tend to have gut problems, FM, MG, RA and many other autoimmune diseases. 

Sadly, the synthetic meds are known to cause and worsen both hypothyroid disease and autoimmube disease. 

The meds work best at the high end of normal but it’s impossible to keep them stable because they suppress your own thyroxin production. The ratios are not bio identical so you tend to get T4 on the high end and T3 on the low end, so you’re hypo and hyper at the same time. Aside from that, the ratios of T3/T4 being off from biological are very disturbing to the body, as hormone regulation in the body is based on ratios. When the hormone ratios are correct, our hormones are ‘balanced’.

There was a huge long term study done in Scotland that showed no relief of thyroid symptoms from the synthetic T4 meds.

• Posted

That's V useful re the ratios and the synth meds Catherine thank you. Will try to find that study. I find getting docs to take any info from the patient is a major hurdle. The ones I've seen don't like you to know much at all. What would we do without the Internet.. My sister has chronic fatigue and high tsh and TPO abs and her endo prescribed her efforex for her 'depression'. Thankfully she looked it up on the Internet as it would have been quite dangerous to take it with an anti anxiety med she was already on. More than likely she's got anxiety from thyroid dysfunction but no thyroid meds were offered to her. Baffling.

• Posted

Yes Kat, if you actually read the side effects for every drug prescribed, then do a search to find out what other patients say, you’ll think long and hard about taking medications. 

Most meds cause kidney and liver damage (both very serious) as well as the disease/symptoms they’re supposed to cure.

• Posted

Once I had a diagnosis the MG could be controlled, and put into remission. The secret, my doctor explained to me, was to avoid prednisone. And once the MG was treated the thyroid settled right down. I then decided to replace both knees before something else came along. I think I am having had as much trouble recovering from these surgeries as the MG.

• Posted

Crikey! Can imagine! One knee would be bad enough.. Great to hear the MD is under control. Lucky you had good advice re the prednisone..
    • Posted

Minefield... V difficult to be sick while also research your meds and clinical studies, stand strong with blasé doctors, manage diet, supplements, exercise etc etc .. Argh!.. I've decided. I'm going to be a fairy princess in my next life.

• Posted

Holy cow! Good to hear the tip on the prednisone- that’s usually the first GoTo for anything that doesn’t have a specific treatment.

Interesting that the MG caused the hypothyroidism. How did you treat the MG?

• Posted

The philosophy of the neurology department at my clinic is to use Mestinon for treatment and Cellcept for immunotherapy of MG. They use Cellcept because they find it has the least side effects of all the immunotherapy agents and is as effective. If necessary they bridge to the slower acting Cellcept with IVIG despite the cost. The goal is remission, not the maintenance regimens you see too much of. (All autoimmune disease should be treated to a goal of remission). The only time they use long term prednisone is when people come to them on it and can’t get off. I believe that prednisone is like much of what we use nowadays, it has valid short (and sometimes long) term uses but it has become grossly over used.

The hypothyroidism didn’t cause the MG or vise versa but they often occur together. I believe my MG was triggered by Simvastatin, and I don’t even have high cholesterol. The best I can tell, stress is the major driver, and not necessarily big stress, but lots of small stresses can make the disease worse. Drugs and chemicals react differently under MG, you have to be careful with magnesium for instance. Tried Westhroid and I’m not sure if there was an allergic reaction or an MG reaction but that was nasty.

• Posted

Peter can I ask you, was it purely the Neuro doc who diagnosed your MG or did preliminary exams raise suspicion? I ask cos I mentioned it to my new gp today and he said I wouldn't have it because he performed a test whereby I had to follow his finger with my eyes, up and down repeatedly. He said my eyelids didn't tire quickly so ruled it out. Were eye symptoms predominant for you?

• Posted

Thanks Peter, you make some excellent points.  The link on interpreting lab results is great! I’ve long been frustrated at the complete lack of relative analysis of thyroid tests, as hormones are by definition relative and require proper ratios for health.  The way this link explains things, makes ‘normal’ laughable, which of course, it really is. 

I also agree about the use of meds for short term treatment. Only, I take that one step further and would add that thyroid medication should be used with short term protocols for most people, and the goal of remission. I love that approach!

I’ll send you a pm. I’d love to get your thoughts on some of the things that have worked for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.