Muscle weakness and hypothyroidism

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there,

Does anyone else suffer from muscle weakness with hypothyroidism?

I've had horrible fatigue, weakness, headaches and a host of other symptoms the past 2 years. Eventually, after lots of blind alley endo tests, my TSH went to 8.2 and T4 went down to 9, so finally I was 'believed' by my gp that I was not just a hypochondriac and she put me on eltroxin. But after 5 weeks, there's not much improvement and the muscle fatigue, pain and stiffness is getting worse, so much so that I'm hobbling and waddling by the end of the day with hips, legs and feet so sore and useless. Muscles also spasm and sometimes jerk. I'm 45, have always done yoga and been active. Muscles seemed to have all turned to fat in the last 2 years. Am worried that there's something else going on with this extreme weakness so am going to ask gp for ref to a neurologist. Or could this new 85 year old body be just what I'm stuck with now?? I was on 10mg of amitriptiline for the pain but read that side effects can include muscle weakness so I've stopped that 2 days ago (don't know how I'll sleep now, but...)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I contacted my doc again as I mentioned I have been on Levo almost 3 months at .50 mg my TSH was 1.75- 3 weeks ago-but I still have a ton of symptoms-my doc said even when the TSH reaches normal it can take several months for the body to catch up-she did agree though to have me come in-in another month for another "full" thyroid panel-to see what all my numbers are at that time-to see if I trully am on the right dose. So apparently "patience" is the key here? For good or bad? and again I have been slowly getting symptoms for maybe 2 years? So definitely I guess they won't go away overnight either-the symptoms. But I will keep you posted-as what she says after my next Blood test........

• Posted

Thanks April, God the patience is needed alright. I haven't worked since December and missed the summer of the century here in Ireland, patience is running thin! I was interested in the suggestion by one of the other contributors regarding the conversion of T4 to T3 and that no amount of t4 meds will solve that problem. I asked my endo about Reverse T3 and he scoffed. Think I need someone who keeps up with the new studies. (and he's a teaching Prof in one of Ireland's top hospitals ! Scary) Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Does anyone's gp or endo check t3? Mine was only checked once 18mos ago by gp but never again and endo categorically stated that he doesn't check t3.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.