Muscle weakness vs muscle fatigue

Posted , 6 users are following.

I think for the benefit of people who are in the midst of diagnosis, it's time to put out a discussion on what weakness really is. On the internet there are 2 kinds of weakness, true weakness and perceived weakness. You can have either one, but I believe that doesn't discount the fact that weakness itself is present. Here comes the confusion. True weakness is defined by the inability to

perform basic functions such as lifting your hand etc. Perceived

weakness is the feeling you get when you find yourself unable to lift

your hand for a long period. Both are weaknesses. But the latter is due to fatigue (as so they say).

It only gets more confusing. If you do have progressive muscle weakness, you'll find yourself slowly unable to work those muscles, setting fatigue in very easily. 

Discussion point is: How would one know if their muscles are fatigued due to weakness or are weak due to fatigue ? Is there a subtle difference between those 2? This will definitely help people to tell the doctor more specific details so that correct tests can be performed. 

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had muscle fatigue for 10 months. I was so weak. It was really horrible. Doctors didn’t know what was wrong with me. I am a 45 year old woman.

I had my ferritin (iron storage) levels checked and I was a 19

The range is 16 to 235 so 19 is very low.

I take floradix in the morning and at night and I feel soooooooooooo much better. Now my ferritin level is 24. Slowly moving on up. YOu can check your ferritin blood test for 30 bucks online. Your lab works.

My life is back! I am so happy. Please write me if you feel bad I know a lot of answers to lots of things …

Anna:)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.