My 14 yr old son has 17% kidney function

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, I cant seem to get answers from anyone.  My son is a unique case.  Probably too long for the message board, but I have going crazy waiting to hear many answers from the docs.  He lost 11% function in less then 8 wks sad.  He is peeing more then he can drink.  I can't find any info.  Will he need to start dialysis or can it still wait?  He has a heart condition and possibly bone disease now also (will find that out in a cpl wks).  This has been awful and the stress of waiting for answers all the time.  Then I look on google and get the worst case senario.  He was healthy, at the age of 10 a doc made a mistake.  He almost died, so I am so happy he's here with me but man, this is not supposed to be his life and I am incredibly sad.  I am hoping to be a match if it comes to that....He has no 100% sibling unfortunately.  Any feed back I am grateful for.  I have tried everything.  Bought an expensive machine for our water...only to find out that it is bad for people with CKD!  I specially asked.  Tried natural path and that did irreversable damage, tired eating all organic, vegatarian...I am so willing but nothing seems to help and I am at my wits end!  Please if anyone has tried anything that has helped a child (as adults and children are very different apparently) I am all ears.  Thank you.  Sorry for going on, its just been hard to watch him go down hill so fast and I know some of you will kinda undertsand...

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lee-ann, I'm so sorry to hear about your son's health problems - the worst thing in the world to watch our children suffer.  I suffered from water infections for the first 12 years of my life until someone somwhere came up with the idea to remove a kidney (they didn't have the amazing diagnostic equipment that is available now).  I do now have chronic kidney disease but one kidney has served me well for very many years.  In your son's case, I am sure they will not leave any stone unturned in finding the best solution for him.  If his blood pressure is raised then he should be on the right BP medication to control it as high BP can harm the kidneys.  I say "right BP medication" as some can cause further harm to the kidneys - it just will need regular monitoring.  My kidney function recently plummeted when one BP medication didn't agree with me.   I'm assuming that you restrict all salt from his diet - another thing that is bad for the kidneys. As you say he is "peeing more than he can drink", I am assuming that the doctors have asked you to record how much liquid is going in and how much is coming out"?  We're not medics on here so it's difficult for us to advise you other than from our own experiences, and our experiences will all be unique to us.  I'm sure you will have researched the best kidney doctors available to you in whichever part of the world you live?  My heart goes out to you and your son and I do hope that they can come up with the best treatment for him very soon that gets him back on his feet. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.