My 5 year old Daughter - idiopathic Scoliosis advice.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, my Daughter has recently been diagnosed with ?idiopathic Scoliosis.

She had an x ray 6 months ago lying down and measured 17° and had a standing x ray 3 weeks ago measuring 27°. She has to have an MRI to rule out intraspinal pathology. I have no idea what this means, can anyone else explain it to me? She will then have another x ray and consult and then we discuss treatment. I am unaware of how serious or minor this problem is but I know I am anxious.

Thank you all. X

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi KEC82. My 6 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with a 35 degree curve. She suffers from back pain which was why she had the X-ray.

I she is awaiting an MRI scan which I am terrified about what it may find. We havealso been told she will have to wear a brace. I am worried she will be picked on. It has only been 2 days since we found out about all of this and I am really worried.

Any info you have from your journey would be great. I hope your little girl is ok.

• Posted

Hello Isabellas mum,

I am sorry to her about your daughter. Her curve at 35 is substantial already. Over 40-50 sugery is generally recommended. An MRI gives a clearere indication of the curve, please do not worry. It is being done to get the best possible results for her. 

Ballet exercises are great for the core and will help, but it will not stop or reverse the curve, I am a trained dancer.

I was diagnosed at 14 so quite a lot older than your daughter. I was braced with a plaster cast for 3 months and then a  removable brace. At 14 and body conscious it was difficult and bullying was rife in my mixed sex school. My mum removed me from school for a year of which I got behind naturally. When I returned I removed the brace and never wore it again. 6 year olds may not be that crule especially if the teacher has a chat with the class before the brace is fitted. My  curve got worse and was operated by chance two years ago  this month, aged 57. I was operated on at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, world famous, renowned for the spinal unit for all the paraplegics and the Olympic paraplegics. My surgeon told me who heads up this unit that bracing does not work and they do not use it. Sugery  techniques are changing all the time and I would do some reseach as to what is available. I know there is a rod that can be fitted that can be altered as the child grows and I saw on tv a few years back where a young girl was a gymnast that had a flexible rod fitted. Please do some research as there is more options than a brace. The good thing is it has been caught early. Please do not be worried. We have good surgeons in the UK - I am assuming your are in the UK. 

I had the traditional surgery of Harrington rods and screws from T2 - L2. I am a little stiff due to the time that was left being untreated - 40 years, but can do most things.

Your little girl will be fine and will lead a normal fulfilled life, whatever options you decide is right for her.  

When things get tough this forum is a god send as you are incontact with people who have gone through it. I wish you and your daughter the best what ever you decide. Please do  some research though. 

• Posted

I have just heard from my son that my grandaughter who is 6 in september is going to be referred to Gosh with the early on set of scoliosis. I would like to follow discussions to help my awareness while waiting for her appointment. marilyn, concerned nan .

thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.