my abcess nightmare

Posted , 3 users are following.

My experience started with a bit of a yukky taste in my mouth, which seemed to be coming from my front tooth, a couple of months ago. Since then, it was painful to bite, gradually getting worse, until I now have a fully fledged abcess.

I am on two lots of anti biotics, and yesterday had an emergency appointment with my dentist. She injected me to numb the tooth, and started drilling!! I could feel everything!! She gave me another injection and sent me out to the waiting room for the numbness to work.

Five minutes later, all my front teeth were numb, apart from the one that should be!!! By the time I sat in the chair again, I was crying, as I am petrified of the dentist, and knew what was coming, she rather abruptly told me to stop it as they had made the effort to fit me in!!! well, forgive me for being in agony!! She started drilling again, hit the nerve and I jumped a foot in the air, she stormed out of the room, saying that it was a very dangerous thing for me to do, I could have injured myself and her, and that she couldn't treat me any more. With that, she packed the tooth with a temporary dressing, and sent me on my way with yet more anti biotics.

Yeah, thanks for that, I'm still in agony, and dont know how long the temporary dressing will last.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Im sorry to hear about how you were treated :? How are your teeth now? smile
  • Posted

[quote:71dcef0a33=\"Dr_Spock\"]Im sorry to hear about how you were treated :? How are your teeth now? smile[/quote:71dcef0a33][color=violet:71dcef0a33][/color:71dcef0a33]

Thanks for replying. My face has now swollen. I've got a trout pout and my right eye is half closed! I kept being sick the day after I went to the dentist, so I went to the Dr. Apparently, the other anti biotics the dentist prescribed me were making me sick as a dog!! He prescribed me some anti-sickness pills so I'm rattling at the moment.

I'm waiting for an emergency appointment at a dentist where I can be sedated, to get this evil thing sorted. In the meantime, I'm taking Amoxycillin, Nurofen Extra and Paracetomol like theres no tomorrow!!!

• Posted

Hmm not exactly a improvement eh :?

When its raging theres no pain relief you can buy thatll shut it up completely but you can try freezing cold water, take a mouthfull and hold the water against the tooth for a little while, repeat 3 or 4 times or more, (yes it really hurts but) afterwards the pain should improve or even disappear for a while smile

• Posted

Thanks, I will try that. Ended up at the out of hours dentist on Saturday night as the pain was so excrutiating! She said it looked extremely painful, and that I have one inch abscess on my top gum. Thank god she didn't start poking round. She prescribed me some different anti biotics, which I hope to god start working soon, as I am at the end of my tether with the pain and the swelling.

I work for the NHS and they couldn't have been more unsympathetic when I phoned in sick!! To be honest I felt too ill to care what they thought.

So, I'm still taking too many painkillers to get a tiny bit of relieft, swallowing anti biotics regular as clockwork, just in the hope to feel human again. My God, this is one I wont forget in a hurry!!

• Posted

Good I've got the same. It started overnight on Sund when my face started to swallow. In the morning I could not open my left eye. I went on emergency to the local hospital and they've sent me to the the dentist. Dr prescribed me Amoxicillin and Metronidazole so im taking it since yesterday and the only difference is that i feel sick all the time and now not just half but whole of my face is swallen. Im in piesces.....IT hurts and i cant look at myself....
  • Posted

Are any of these teeth feeling better yet? Dont ask? :D
  • Posted

UPDATE: My abscess popped on Monday evening. It was nothing spectacular, but I was sitting down and felt something warm in my mouth.

The taste and the smell was unbelievably bad!! Kept spitting in the sink for half an hour while it kept oozing. It was gross!!

Anti biotics seemed to have kicked in. Have an appointment at 9am this morning for root canal treatment under IV sedation. Pooping my pants!!

I'm sooooo relieved that the mother of all pain has finally subsided, although I still dont feel myself.

Will let you know how it goes.

The anti biotics will work in about 2 days, so please hang in there. I was told to always take them with food, then they dont make you feel sick.

xxx

• Posted

A few weeks worth of sour gunk and puss yeah thats disgusting :lol: Good luck with the sadist I mean dentist :D
  • Posted

Well, I'm back from the Dentist, and still alive!

He said it was the biggest and worst abscess he has ever seen on a front tooth!!! That made me feel a whole lot better, not!

Anyway, after some sedation, he drilled the tooth and drained the abscess out, he said he couldnt believe the amount of pus coming out of it, nice!!

So, he cleaned it, packed it, and thats me done until my next appointment, which unfortunately is in 11 weeks time, as this was the earliest one for sedation.

So, Im still on the course of antibiotics, and hope to god it doesnt come back before my next appointment.

Lots of love

Sarah xx

• Posted

Yes I hope it doesnt come back aswell smile
  • Posted

Well, since the sedation, ive felt almost back to my old self, still a bit sore around the area of the teeth that are affected.

The latest thing is my big front tooth has started to go grey at the top!!

Can anyone shed any light on this for me??

• Posted

I bet that abcess has disolved little channels and pockets out of your skull, it was a nasty one smile Sounds like that tooth is rotten inside :?
  • Posted

Don't let Dr Spock scare you! The pulp of the tooth will have died hence the abcess. Hopefully, now the whole root channel has been thoroughly cleaned out and packed with a temporary antiseptic filling, the area will no longer be 'rotten'. I'm sure the dentist wouldn't have tried to save the tooth unless he felt there was a good chance of it surviving. Sadly, once the nerve is removed and deadened through infection, the tooth can sometimes become darker due to the extensive abcess. I agree some of the surrounding jaw bone may have been damaged, but if now free of infection this can regenerate. Hopefully, your tooth won't become completely discoloured but it might mean, at a later date, if the root is deemed sound once the root canal work is finished, that you may have to consider having it crowned.

Best of luck - I'm sorry you've had such an unpleasant experience - I have been there so can sympathise!

Katie

• Posted

Yeah dont let me scare you, see how it gets on :D
  • Posted

Hiya Katie. Many thanks for your reply.

Yeah, the dentist said he was going to have to work very hard to save my front tooth, I just hope he can!!

The grey bit at the top doesn't really bother me, its nothing compared to the agony I was in!

Well, this morning Ive taken my last anti biotic and am petrified the abscess will come back!!

I spent a small fortune in Boots yesterday on mouthwash, toothpaste, dental sticks etc, Im just hoping by keeping my mouth as clean as I can I can reduce the risk of recurrence.

Sarah xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.