MY ACID REFLUX IS DESTROYING MY HEART! HELP ME PLEASE

Posted , 25 users are following.

hi, im 28 yrs old 6ft tall and about 300LBS. For the last 2 years I have suffered day and night due to persistent acid reflux that affects increases my heart rate. It seems likei have not had a single normal heart beat since my ordeal began. the trouble started after I was diagnosed with hpylori which I took medicine for. I did an endoscopy later after the fast heart rate and severe reflux persisted and it showed pretty bad inflammation (moderate to severe) in my upper oesophagus. its so bad that I belch acid. sometimes I wake up with a mouth full of acid. I don't sleep lying down nor do I eat late at night but my heart still pounds all night long and all day long. i cannot even walk after iv had a bite to eat because any food in my stomach seems to spike my heart rate so much that i have to sit down after a few steps. even when i haven't eaten anything my heart rate still spikes up when i walk for even a few minutes. the veins on the the side of my neck tense up and i can feel and hear my heart just pounding out of my chest. Iv had ekgs ct scans mri's done and everyone says im fine and to get the acid under control but it isn't improving. its getting worse. a few months ago i experienced ventricular tachycardia when i was running in the gym. after 2 days observation the doctors released me saying i was fine. My heart pounds so hard and so fast that it wakes me up at night. it literally shakes my body when its at its worst. Im always belching acid. im so desperate at this intrusion in my life that for the first time i even thought of ending my life. its just unbearable. iv started loosing weight to get healthy but also because i cant eat much due to this problem. I had two boiled eggs for dinner last night and i could barely sleep due to the acid. when im walking i feel the acid coming up my oesophagus burning my chest and spiking my heart. im desperate for some help. anything. Im a student and its really hard to concentrate when all you can hear is blood in your ears. I got put on metropolol for the heart rate but it doesn't seem to help. Iv been on nexium, Carafate, zantac, sucralfate, pepsid etc nothing is helping me. I just don't know where else to turn. Iv already been to the ER 3 times this year due to my heart issues resulting from this. my bp was pretty normal but for some reason this pounding makes it spike up, gives me headaches etc. i cant exercise which i used to do a lot because any exertion is just brutal to my heart rate and the acid burns so much

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have just started with the exact same thing. The high heart rate is just making me so nervous. Everyday now. I am going through the same thing: ER visit, and Doctor. I was told stress and GERD. I just wish it would stop. I have lost 10lbs and still going. I have cut out all coffee, tea, and other acid foods. Not much left. Please, did they solve your problem. If so pleaes share. 
  • Posted

I know this is over a year ago but my doctor put me on 40mg omerprazole. I have gerd which is baaad acid reflux. Over the counter only has 20mg and does nothing for me. See if you can get this script. I hope you're doing better now...

• Posted

Hiii

I have the same problem since last 6 years.

After eating my heart rate goes 100 per minute. I feel every beat on neck on my head and chest and stomach. After eating i walk even 20 sec feel my heart uncomfortable due to fast beats.

Can u tell me how r u right now?

What should I do?

• Posted

I've had GERD (acid reflux) since about 2004. At around the same time I also started having "benign" cardiac symptoms including PVC's ("skipped" heartbeats), atrial fibrillation, and tachycardia (fast heartbeat).

I'm very convinced that GERD can and does cause some cardiac abnormalities, and there is some ongoing research into this topic. My cardiac symptoms were almost always related to my heartburn. My personal conclusion is that, for me at least, the connective tissues in the chest cavity (everything is connected in one way or another within the chest) caused the inflamed esophagus to pull or tug on tissues surrounding the heart.

I've taken GERD medications now for about 10 years, and the first thing I noticed was that my chest pain went away very quickly. 

The second thing I noticed is that my arrhythmias decreased as well. I still do have some occasional cardiac symptoms, but every time I get checked the results are benign and never warranted heart medications. 

The correlation in my own experience (between the GERD and heart symptoms) was completely undeniable. I almost always had cardiac symptoms with the GERD, and now (even on GERD medication) I still have some isolated GERD issues, which still seem very closely related to my occasional heart issues.

Be blessed and be well. Best wishes to all of you out there who are suffering GERD and who may also be having heart issues.

• Posted

I'm just learning about reflux myself as I've had one visit to ER with suspected heart attack.  I have to change my diet and eat smaller meals  (don't eat late at night just before bed) I would recommend probiotic capsules.  My condition has improved since I started taking them.

• Posted

I would recommend you to have mint tea every morning and night before you sleep.

However you can also get herbal powders and tablets that work wonders for this from herbal stores.

• Posted

I’ve had Svt and I am convinced it’s gut related. I would recommend Apple cider vinegar in your water and a high fibre, probiotic diet to heal your gut and avoid antibiotics in your diet if possible. Avoid stress and caffeine maybe too
    • Posted

Totally agree with you ...  as far as I m concernng My SVT's was triggered by my stomach not being able to release gases , and gasses pushing my heart ore irritate vagus nerve

... I had gas bibles in my stomach and triggers right the way SVT's .... Any time I get SVT's I just stick my finger deep in my throat and I can feel gasses coming out and heart goes to normal rate. But now since I am using Siberian virgin pine nuts oil I can burp very easy . Yes in my case they are triggered by my stomach . As soon as I hear by any medical stuff that stomach cannot effect heart I stay far a way from them . Good luck body . 

• Posted

Hi ....im not no expert..but iv been having acid refluxs ..chest pains... n so on.......but my doctor told me every time i feel the acid coming on..... eat an apple...it helps...first thing on morning...is to blend pawpaw with honey .. cinamon n ice like a smoothie....eat for lunch salads...n stem chicken breast..only salt n green seasoning... no pepper... also no coffee .n chocolate tea.....my tea was hardee (saffron )n ginger root grated n boil together ...simmer down. You could sweeten with honey n add little cinamon......n drink..it taste good......iv stopped all soft drnk n juices ...it help ed...when i felt good i ate badly n it came back..when i lost a few pounds it help with the acid too....
  • Posted

Hi there ,

I just read this post  and I was wandering how are you.... I m in some similar situation ... since 1997 Im having problem with my stomach . Last  5 month I Being dealing with terrible stomach pain .... before I had so much pain I could not even be able to   burp. Which  gas bubbles was causing  my heart to beat very fast  pulse  180 _supraventricular tachycardia..... I used any acid and all those mambo jumbo medicine and nothing helped ... I was in ER for maybe 6-7 times ... last time in ER they told me to stop using Anti acids meds cause they not helping ... so I was without any meds dealing with stomach pain and trying to burp so I can avoid SVT  ... Any time I eat anything, there goes burping which I could not be able to burp easy ...  In Internet I found that  trying to throw up by sticking my finger deep in my throat .I can feel gases coming out through my mouth and immediately my heart goes back to normal rates. Also I use vagal monuver , ... I lost 26 pounds  and for  last 2 month I did not had non of this heart problems "Supraventricular tachycardia" .

Now is much easy less pain cause I saw in Internet that if you use Siberian pine nut oil it will cure ...... I being using Siberian pine Nut virgin oil and let me tell you it works perfectly .First time I use in empty stomach right the first day I noticed difference . I can burp very easy  and way much less pain. As long as I dont let empty stomach .

As long as I dont let my stomach empty .Always  need to eat something.

I could not be able to do endoscopy  cause my Cardiologist think it is cause of my

heart  , He think thats supraventricular tachycardia have nothing

to do with my stomach ( it drives me crazy when I hear this).  .... previous 

gastroenterology think that nothing wrong with my stomach  cause I don't have HP virus  and cause negativity HP   everything  is in my

mind , and he said  stomach have nothing to do with digestion   and cant effect  heart .

( man where did they graduate ).  

Well now I have very good gastroenterologist and he was able to convince others that I need to do endoscopy .So to day after non I will be having endoscopy and will see what is in my stomach .... I hope  to day I will not have  stomach pain cause I have to have empty stomach ... Oh I think I have Ulcer  and some form of hernia  somewhere .... I hope I don't have cancer or some other dangerous thing . 

So ... SIBERIAN virgin PINE NUTS OIL really does help big time.

Has being 3 years since you posted this .I would really like to know how is your health to day ... I hope all is well . 

Sorry English not my first language . 

• Posted

Hiii

After eating my heart rate goes 100 per minute. I feel every beat on neck on my head and chest and stomach. After eating i walk even 20 sec feel my heart uncomfortable due to fast beats.

And what should i do? I have done all my heart related tests and every thing is fine.

But didn go to any gestrologist.

• Posted

Hiii

• Posted

This thread is a little old but I hope to help some & to hear of any successes. 

**Too little acid is my answer.

It’s a long. story & I’m also on a smartphone, so...  Approximately 5 years ago I was hit with shortness of breath (SoB).  It was out of the blue & so severe I would more or less freak out (felt like I was suffocating & my heart would race til I nearly blacked out).  

Some facts that got buried early was it happened consistently after eating,  lying down & exercising.

At the time I was say 15lbs overweight, in a stressful but rewarding job, eating out more than I should have & training for a marathon (not going playing around - 7 minute mile stuff).

Tons of trips to different doctors that nearly killed me via heart medicine I didn’t need & superhigh doses of PPIs that basically had me passing partially undigested food... which caused other many other issues.

I took a year off from work because doctors swore it was depression or anxiety... which I was like okay let’s see (so stupid because I sat broke & going into debt with all the same symptoms for that year).

So I dug deeper & began paying cash to high/end physicians... & one of them was an MD that had gone into wholistic medicine after having been misdiagnosed himself.

He read my through my records & laughed telling me they’re treating you for the opposite condition.  He believed I had some unknown issue causing my body to creat too little acid.

I take Thorne BPP

• Posted

Sorry Part2 - I take Thorne BPP (HCI, pancreatin & pepsin) to cope & it lessons all my symptoms... & solves my GERD.

I’m with another functional medicine fellow to chase down the GI issues I have & hopefully find a cause/solution.

I cannot exercise, tired a lot (hormone issues) & have the heart rate issues that seem to be tied to stomach PH (BPP has been my only successful tool really).

Today I’m functional & having to force myself to keep persuing root cause/cure.

I take heart in that so many people are suffering from things western medicine is blind too & it’s important to solve these things, help each other out.

Funny thing is I studied pre med in college & hate to admit I have very low trust in traditional medicine business these days (actually saddens me to say it really).

• Posted

Thanks for your input Phil, very interesting.  My gut problem has been ongoing for 20 months now, similar story, I was told it was anxiety.  (not when you wake up with it through the night and in the morn.) It puts you off when you hit too many brick walls.  I have had lots of tests and 3 trips to Emergency room.  An xray revealed a small hiatal hernia and gerd. Put stress in the mix and it's worse, I had a traumatic experience which added to it all. I did the sleep apnea test at home for one night and it showed I stopped breathing quite a bit during the night, I'd say that's when the heart starts to beat faster to compensate but it's also tied in with the gut. (it's so complex)  I have described it to some as my heart being a little trigger happy. Heaps of gut activity at night with electrical activity shooting across the upper abdomen and around the back. I have been using the sleep apnea machine at night and it helps regulate, I never started taking any medication as I've just had one test after another looking for answers. I'm overweight too, so it's all connected in some way. The breathing, heartbeat, nausea, headaches, digestion.  I'm seeing a naturopath and had acupuncture and massage and exercise. I take 1tblspn of Apple Cider Vinegar in water every morn and other herbal remedies.  No more buzzing through the body and all other problems have improved so just have to lose  15kg. I will mention the Thorne BPP to my naturopath. If you're tired a lot Phil, it would be worth having the sleep apnea test.  Everyone is looking at gut health now, it's amazing what effects it has on the body.  I don't understand it as well as you do but I'm learning.

All the best Phil.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.