My Anteria and Posteria Repair

Posted , 126 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

Prior to having my Anteria and Posteria Repair, mainly due to problems going for a poo, when to be frank it felt like I was trying to push the poo sideways out of my bottom, resulting in lots of pain and blood - making me very unhappy. After reading this and other forums, which I found very helpful (which is why I'm contributing now in the hopes that this helps others) I decided that although some people had not had a good experience it was worth the risk rather than putting up with the pain for the rest of my life (47 at the time).

On examining me the Dr found that I had significant bladder weakness too and he suggested that he could improve both - he did seem to focus on the bladder a little when I kept telling him it was my bum that was more of an issue - I digress a little as you know how dismissive doctors can be and how hard it is to stick up for yourself, especially in this area which not only affects you physically but psycologically as it impacts your sexuallity and self confidence too.

So I had the op in May 2013 and I recognise a lot of the other post-op entries on this forum but the main instructions were - 3 Golden Rules, number 1 - don't lift more than half a kettle for 6 weeks. Number 2 do pelvic floor exercises or it will all come back and need doing again. Number 3 make sure you stick to rule one and two.

I took 8 weeks off work (I have a desk job and a supportive employer) and followed the rules I, 2 and 3. Yes it was difficult and very frustrating also for the family to remember when you look fit and able but you can't bend to pick stuff up as it would pressure where you shouldn't have it.

It wasn't all plain sailing with pain and concern about stitches not disolving as quick as I hoped but I wanted to let you know that now (9 months on) I feel more confident, sexy and in control of my bodily functions. The Rectocele hasn't made things perfect but things are still improving even after so long so perhaps it will get even better but if not, its much much better than before.

Regarding the sex, thats better too and one thing I wanted to share - I noticed significant dryness for around 6 months, around the scar tissue but I', happy to say that this is also is improving.

Basically well worth having done and I would advise anyone to go for it. Prolaps issues should be taken much more seriously by GPs as it is embarassing to discuss and we deserve to feel 'Right' and everything that entails!!

27 likes, 278 replies

278 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank-you Happylady I am waiting to have a Prolapse Operation and have heard some horrendous stories about results so I am so grateful to read of your successful operation. and I feel much more confident about it now. Pollydoddle
  • Posted

Hi ladies

I am 12 days post op from mild prolapse and tvt bladder repair. I am doing okay but not as good as I hoped. I am probably just hoping for too much too soon. I would agree with the 3 golden rules which I strictly haven't adhered to although not by too much. Firstly my bladder wasnt functioning properly so got sent home from the hospital with the catheter for an extra couple of days which was tough. I got the catheter out last Mondayand it had been doing well but still did get an infection which isn't unusual. I do still have pains in my tummy but I am assuming that's just everything knitting together..........fingers crossed. I can sneeze and cough without leakage which is the main things. I am hoping it is just rest now.

• Posted

thanks for sharing am feeling the same myself taught i was going a bit mad feel fed up tired and just not in the mood for anyone 
  • Posted

Hiya, as you say its very early days for you and you really have to remember that although you cant actually see the scar, you have had a big operation and that you should take things very carefully. I followed the rules and as frustrating as it may have been I am still improving 10 months on. it takes time, but I hope you get similar results. It really was worth it.
  • Posted

Very encouraging to read mostly positive experiences. I had a posterior repair and TVT 2 weeks ago, and things seem to be progressing. But I wonder how much bleeding is normal? Last week the discharge was so slight I had started using panty liners, but then had sudden bright red bleeding, and was given antibiotics for a bladder infection. Now the bleeding has eased off quite a lot, though still needing pads, and have had some small clots. What should I expect?

Also not sure what's meant by building up daily walks. Just to the end of the garden so far!

Any thoughts welcome, thank you

• Posted

Hi, I am now 7 weeks post op and things still haven't settled but it is still early days I suppose. I feel as though I am worse now than say 2 weeks ago with niggling pains and a lot of it seeming to be underneath like an achy/trailing feeling. I have recently started driving again and I am not sure whether that has something to do with it. How do you feel your tvt open has gone. Have you had any problems?
    • Posted

Hi. I just wanted to know if things kept improving for you. I have a tvt sling fitted a week ago for stress incontinence but no other repairs. Feel a little worse off that before the surgery and it's making me anxious. I actually didn't ask what to expect after the op but if I'm honest I just expected to be dry straight away. I now have an urge issue and sometimes leak just standing up. I also can't stop my flow. I'm hoping I'm just being impatient. I have a telephone appt with a nurse in another week and I see my consultant in 12 weeks. Feeling okay with regards to tenderness and although flow is slow I think I'm emtying my bladder. Any reassurance greatly appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi Claire,

I had my TVT repair last February and it has worked well.  Initially my bladder wouldnt empty at all and i had to keep the catheter in for a few extra days but once that was over with it was all fine.  The flow is very different now to what it was.  I dont normally get a big gush it is a slow trickle most of the time.  If you stand up when you feel you are finished then kind of rock back and forth then try again it usually lets more come out.  I worried constantly about my op especially as it was done with mesh and there was the whole mesh scandal but i have had no problems at all and i am 100% continent now.  My bladder had dropped again tho but i now know how to deal with that and not makes things worse.  I am not sure i would go through it all again to be honest.  Make sure you do not lift anything more than 5 kilos as it can cause strain.

take care and look after yourself.

Debi

• Posted

Thank you, so pleased things are better for you. So good to hear positive stories and thanks for the tips. Just one more thing were you 100 continent from day 1 after surgery or did that take some time to settle also. I am being so careful not to lift but so hard with a 16 month clingy baby. She did the damage - good job she's cute. 😉
    • Posted

I too have the achy feeling like a weight is trying to get out. It's worse than before op, it's 5 weeks since op. Did the aching finally go for you and after how long?
    • Posted

I am two months post op and am still having pressure and feel the urge to go a lot. I had rectocele repair and never had urge problems ever. Am seeing the Dr. in two weeks. Hope you are doing better.

• Posted

I am two months post op and feel the aching and pressure as well, so thought I would be OK by now, but not.
  • Posted

Hi Debi, I am very hopeful re the tvt. I had been worried about coming home/living with a catheter, but it was taken out the morning after the op, and I managed to pee a few hours later. The flow is different - a little gush, then dribbles for a min or so. Don't know if this will settle, but it's ok. Usually 3-4 hrs between visits, and I coughed yesterday without leaking - miracle.
  • Posted

Hi Happy Lady

It's encouraging to read your story. Can I ask when you started the pelvic floor exercises? 4 weeks post tvt and posterior repair I still have discomfort when I walk or do the exercises. I worry that I may be causing damage.

• Posted

Hi HappyLady

i have a question I hope you (or others) maybe able to help with. 

I'm 3.5 weeks post op for same op as you. I have found that internally (within my vagina) I am really swollen. Did you have the same? I literally can't fine a divide between front and rear. I can't image that this swelling will reduce enough in 2.5 weeks to even think about sex!! 

Thanks

kirsty

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.