My Anteria and Posteria Repair

Posted , 126 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

Prior to having my Anteria and Posteria Repair, mainly due to problems going for a poo, when to be frank it felt like I was trying to push the poo sideways out of my bottom, resulting in lots of pain and blood - making me very unhappy. After reading this and other forums, which I found very helpful (which is why I'm contributing now in the hopes that this helps others) I decided that although some people had not had a good experience it was worth the risk rather than putting up with the pain for the rest of my life (47 at the time).

On examining me the Dr found that I had significant bladder weakness too and he suggested that he could improve both - he did seem to focus on the bladder a little when I kept telling him it was my bum that was more of an issue - I digress a little as you know how dismissive doctors can be and how hard it is to stick up for yourself, especially in this area which not only affects you physically but psycologically as it impacts your sexuallity and self confidence too.

So I had the op in May 2013 and I recognise a lot of the other post-op entries on this forum but the main instructions were - 3 Golden Rules, number 1 - don't lift more than half a kettle for 6 weeks. Number 2 do pelvic floor exercises or it will all come back and need doing again. Number 3 make sure you stick to rule one and two.

I took 8 weeks off work (I have a desk job and a supportive employer) and followed the rules I, 2 and 3. Yes it was difficult and very frustrating also for the family to remember when you look fit and able but you can't bend to pick stuff up as it would pressure where you shouldn't have it.

It wasn't all plain sailing with pain and concern about stitches not disolving as quick as I hoped but I wanted to let you know that now (9 months on) I feel more confident, sexy and in control of my bodily functions. The Rectocele hasn't made things perfect but things are still improving even after so long so perhaps it will get even better but if not, its much much better than before.

Regarding the sex, thats better too and one thing I wanted to share - I noticed significant dryness for around 6 months, around the scar tissue but I', happy to say that this is also is improving.

Basically well worth having done and I would advise anyone to go for it. Prolaps issues should be taken much more seriously by GPs as it is embarassing to discuss and we deserve to feel 'Right' and everything that entails!!

27 likes, 278 replies

278 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi ladies,

thought I would share that I went to the docs today and six months on from small anterior and bladder repair it would seem that my anterior repair has loosened off. My gp wanted to refer me back to the physio but I took it upon myself to phone the physio who said this was pointless and that it should be a referral for the consultant that I should be getting.  I then called the consultants secretary who is sending me out an appointment for around end of Sept.  I am absolutely devastated as I would've thought that six months on I would be okay but unfortunately not.  I don't know what I could've done differently.  Whilst she did say it wasn't a prolapse I am still worried as to how it can be corrected if at all.

debi

• Posted

Oh Debi, what a shame! What did she mean ' it wasn't a prolapse' and what made you go to the doctor? 'Loosened off' suggests that it could be tightened up? Or does this mean another op? At least the end of Sept is only 4-5 weeks away. I worry that we don't have enough information about looking after the repair during the first year. You said you don't know what you could have done differently. I read somewhere that there's now a school of thought that lifting is not the issue (and you can always feel if lifting something is causing a strain), but things like getting up from a seated position put pressure on the pelvic floor! What are we all to do? My consultant said the point of the operation was to give us back a normal life, so go live it, but it seems constant vigilance is needed, and who wants to make a fuss.

Please keep us updated. I really hope it won't be as bad as you fear.

• Posted

Hi moira, the gp said that my front wall wasn't as tight as she would've thought it would be but nothing had prolapsed to cause it.  As it was my front wall that was repaired maybe there is an easy route to go down to fix it but I am not so sure although my tvt procedure is still a success which was my main problem to begin with so at least that's something.  I have my apt for consultant which is 30 sep so will just have to keep everything crossed.  Feel as though my life on hold again though until I get some answers asdont want do to anything that will make things worse.  Hope you are recovering well.
    • Posted

I found this helpful link that relates to the differing advice re recovery from having a pelvic floor repair. . http://www.nafc.org/women-s-health/prolapse/thinking-long-term-after-pelvic-reconstruction/  I have been doing my pelvice floor excercise since the second day after my surgery and have had to gradually build it up but I had a physiotherapist see me in hospital before I was discharged who help me to do the excercise correctly and I have her contact number for any support I need in future. I have noticed an improvement in my muscle tone though not quite there they felt better than before the op even when I first started to do them, I could actually feel them for starters. re walking I was given an after care book that said to slowly build up my strength with short walks. I was supposed to be at my normal walking level by now (8 weeks post op) but I am no where near the level of fitness I was at before but I have had two bad infections so I guess that will delay things. I am going to contact my physiotherapist about the TVTO hammock/strip as I am still getting pain in my groin and wonder if I need to stretch my legs or something as I can feel some tight scar tissue and don't want that to get rigid. Their are some useful youtube videos about pelvic floor excercises. I read somewhere but can't find the link now that bending puts a strain on the pelvic floor muscles particularly frequent bending even if you are not lifting anything so now I make a point of always bending my legs if I need to pick something up off the floor however light. Also the way we sit on the toilet when we open our bowels apparently makes a big difference. One thing my physiotherapist said was that if you find when relaxing your pelvic floor muscles (which is as important as tightening them) you can't open your bowels easily then stop trying. go and have a hot drink and try again thirty minutes later; this was the best advice I got and it works (on top of eating a healthy diet full of fibre). Good luck to all you girls, its not an easy operation to recover from...us girls have to work so hard as a rule I think we deserve to give ourselves a proper amount of time to fully recover ... at lease twelve weeks before all healing is complete ... at eight weeks still thirty percent left to heal hence the tiredness at this late stage. Here's to a full recovery. smile
    • Posted

Hi. Hope you don't mind me joining your thread? Its really helpful to see how we all are at different stages post op. I'm 12 days post op for bowel prolapse repair (rectocele) perinium repair & a tear near the cervix, first 7 days felt better than expected, (obviously uncomfortable) but minimum pain relief needed. Since day 8 getting real pain where stitches are, finding uncomfortable to sit. Also stings when I move, like sitting on needles, is this just part of the healing process? I have looked, and all looks ok, swelling going down, not red, or inflamed. Still losing fresh blood but not much, most first thing when I pee in the morning. Bowels is another issue for me, am stil taking coloxyl with senna every night and OMG feels like i'm giving birth for 10 mins when doing BM next day! Brings tears to my eyes. Going to try and up medication I think. Will take your advice about having a hot drink and trying again in 30 minutes. Thank you for letting me join the forum, this op is so little talked about and very personal.
    • Posted

Hi Moira,

Just updating you.  Saw the consultant this week and my bladder prolapse is back unfortunately.  I am devastated.  I told him that I didn't want anymore surgery.  He has agreed that we will leave it for 3 months and see how I find things.  He wants me to live life to the full going running, zumba etc but I am reluctant to do so as if I had been given the correct info to begin with I would've known that impact sport is the worst thing for you but I was told to go ahead doing this after 12 weeks.  Maybe if I hadn't then this wouldn't have happened but who knows.  The leakage has still gone but I have the achy feeling if I do too much.  Hope things are good with you.

debi

• Posted

Hi Debi, I'm so sorry to hear this. Don't beat yourself up about what you may or may not have done. I do wonder about the success rate of these operations. It seems to me you really would have to put your life on hold for a year to feel safe. Main thing is the leakage has gone, and the achy feeling should subside. Did the consultant say what grade of prolapse you have? Apparently grade 1 can be contained with regular pelvic floor exs.

I think I've 'loosened' a bit as well. I can feel something inside the vagina, but at least nothing's protruding as before. Trouble is, it's been so long, how do you know what feels normal? Like you, the tvt is still good, and the constipation of many years has gone. So even if it's not perfect, things are still better than they were.

I do agree with you, and I feel quite strongly about this, that women having this operation are not given enough information beyond the immediate post-op stage. It's all too positive. Maybe there are people out there who sail through and are back to normal busy lives with no aches or anxieties after 12 weeks, but I'm very glad of this forum for the rest of us.

• Posted

Hi Debi,I had anterior repair 3yrs ago,followed by a posteria repair a year later,however the mesh that was used had to be removed last year,now the prolapse is back and I'm on the list for another anterior repair! I cannot believe they don't tell us the risks of further surgery for prolapse at the time.I just want my active life back,not able to do much of anything due to the lower back pain and bowel probs:-(
    • Posted

Hi Det just reading this thread even though it is. 3 months on. Some good advice there. Perhaps I'll keep my books on the bathroom floor permanently, I am certainly not going to need my gardening book for a while. Also advice from your physio re not pushing. Good to know, not that I can properly yet as I had a perineal repair as well as rectal, but I shan't from now on. I have been naughty & have been bending sometimes, ( which is also bad for your back) so I shall stop that now! Lots of very helpful advise.  Thanks 
  • Posted

Just for you ladies who have had pelvic floor repair I found this blog really helpful. see link. All the best. 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Good Evening All,

I have been looking for information to help me prepare for my upcoming Rectocele operation and am so glad I have come across this site. I am going in at the end of the month and am a little worried about the op itself and how I will be afterwards. My first consultant said I had a womb prolapse after a 2nd opion I was told it was a rectocele( I just hope this one is right)

I have read through alot of the feed and would just like a little advice from you ladies that have gone through it.

I have been told by my consultant that I will be in hosptal over night and that I should be able to return to work after 4 weeks! After reading some of the comments on here I am now not sure that will be the case. I have a desk job but do drive into work. I also have 2 young children that need to get school.

Please can someone advise me on the following.

Recommended time off work/driving?

How far can I walk and how soon? (sons school is 1.5 miles away)

Did any of you go out like for a meal? I have a 30th party to attend mid Oct do you think I should decline the invite?

Did you all get a follow up appointment? Ive been told my consultant doesnt do them.

Thanks for your help

Donna

• Posted

Hi Donna, Isn't this site great? I think your consultant is optimistic about going back to work after four weeks, although everybody does heal differently. my surgeon didn't use mesh so might make a difference with recovery period. It is just so important to rest, rest & more rest. I am now 15 days post op for rectocele and 2 other repairs the surgeon needed to do while operating, but not hysterectomy. first few days felt really good with hardly any pain relief but then got more painful on day 7.  Pleased to say seems to be a bit better last couple of days but still struggle to sit comfortably. Also even lifting a wok off the cooker last night really pulled my sitches and was a tad uncomfortable all evening. Problem is when you start to feel better you start to do things around the house. So no lifting at all!

Re driving, I have been advised about 2-4 weeks but again you must listen to your body. If its uncomfortable don't do it, it means your body is not repaired enough. I know I am not ready yet!

Re walking, again listen to your body, it is important to walk round house etc to keep muscles going but as for longer walks I would leave it for 3 - 4 weeks.

Depending on how soon the party is after surgery, best to decide that nearer the date, friends will understand. I am hoping to go to a gathering of friends 23 days post op but am not deciding until the day before. Am keeping fingers crossed though as really need to get out of the house. Lol.

Unusual not to have a follow up appointment. I have a follow up 6 weeks post surgery and then Doc will decide whether need more time off work, mainly because I am in manual work. I also had a follow up call from a nurse attached to the surgeons office on day 5 to see how I was doing, and was told any problems not to hesitate to ring her. You could always make an appointment with your own GP if at all concerned.

One thing I didn't get much information about was the bowels after Op. please make sure you have laxatives of some sort in medicines cupboard just in case you need them, doing BM's is very challenging for me. I am still using the laxatives!

I presume you are in the Uk, I am in Perth, Australia and here we are in hospital for 3-4 days, strange how it differs so much.

Hope all of this is of some help to you. This pain is hopefully short lived and I know the outcome for me is going to be great as was in so much discomfort before surgery, I am in manual work in aged care and had to be on restricted duties prior to Op.

Good luck. Let me know how you go and sending best wishes. Lynne

• Posted

Lynne.....I'm in Perth, too, and had a posterior vaginal repair on Oct 1st.

So far, so great for me save for the fact I hadn't anticipated the swollen factor which is how I've ended up on this forum amongst others.

So I'm at 19 days post op. I still cannot walk/sit without having a basketball width between my legs....I'm still so swollen and this is the only thing no one told me about so hence my googling. I'm due to go back to work full time as of Mon 26th Oct. I'm thinking it might be too much at once. Especially given I'm an education assistant for students with special needs.

So after reading this forum and other sites I've decided to ring the Dr tomorrow and discuss it. I'm thinking maybe 2 days split next week, then 3 days split for two weeks to ease back in. There will still be no physical stuff as several of my colleagues themselves have been where we all are including the bosses smile 

Unlike, most women I only needed the rectocele fixed. 

I had been seeing my Physio at KEM for a very minor cystocele as well as getting prepared for the op....which meant checking my pelvic floor. Lucky me at 46yrs I'm actually fine so need keep up the maintenance exercises both pre-op and post-op which I've done. My physio had given me pamphlets and discussed the op with me. I was on our public wait list but had given the go ahead to book me should a cancellation come up. Which it did. I had all the info with me that she'd given me plus I had ensured my diet leading up to the op was optimal, too. 

Donna, (and anyone else) if you can see your Physio or if your Dr has all the post op pamphlets....GET THEM. Whilst waiting to be taken to surgery I had highlighted my pamphlets with what I could do, when, how often etc. For me, forewarned is forearmed smile

I've noticed many women have been given coloxyl for bowel movements (BM).

My advice is actually Movicol which my Drs gave me here. I'm well versed with the 'right' BM as my 8 yr old son has encopresis which is a problem with faecal impaction thus serious constipation. 

Movicol is the gentlest and can be taken 8 times a day if required. Also buy a little footstool for your toilet. That way you are ready and prepared so whenever you go to the toilet your feet are on the stool so your body is in the correct BM position to facilitate ease. Do not push/strain and relax your pelvic floor. It should just slide out. However, if you need to encourage the sliding then GENTLE pelvic squeezes around your rectum...you will notice this aids the process actually far more than if you strain. If nothing happens.....then leave it be. 

One thing to note is exercise helps.....so time your post op walks with going to the loo if you can. What did we all do with our very young babies to encourage a BM...we 'cycled' their legs :-) Same reasoning :-)

Also dietary fibre....but NOT insoluble fibre. With my experience with my son (and it's written in the literature my physios gave me) it is soluble fibre we need at these times. Insoluble bulks up stools making them harder to pass. 

This is the irony given we are constantly told "eat lots of whole grains" ....it is, in fact, the worst thing you can do. A diet higher in soluble fibre mixes with water to form a gel, helping to maintain a good digestive system and prevents straining. Don't avoid insoluble fibers but be mindful of how much you ingest.

Keep your water intake up! (Especially when ingesting insoluble fibres).

But also, bear in mind liquid intake should still be no more than 2 litres/day (8 cups), especially if you've had a cystocele repair as well. So drinking 4 cups of coffee is going to interfere with optimal water intake. Lol...I still had 2 cups of coffee, a glass of pure juice and the rest was water. Also, nothing with artificial sweeteners as apparently they are bladder irritants both physios told me. I don't use them or drink diet drinks/eat diet foods anyway so it didn't affect me.

Walking should occur as soon as your catheta is removed AND your Dr has said so. BUT only gentle walking so doing a lap in your hospital ward is a god start. Report anything to your nurses/dr.

I was in for 2 nights. Op was on the Wed @ 2pm ....catheta, packing, drip all out by 11am the next day. I was walking by 12pm .... I let the nurse know I was and that I was walking up the corridor and back.

By Friday morning I was doing 2 laps (4 mins) of the ward every hour and a half. Anything I noted meant I could tell the Dr and the Physio while I was still in hospital. Note: in my literature the daily walking for the first week is advised at 30 minutes TOTAL. So they recommend 6 x 5 minute (OR 3 x 10 min) gentle walks daily. I timed 2 1/2 minutes up the road from my house ....that way I knew exactly where I had to stop and turn around. 3 days after being home I'd changed it 5 x 6minute. By the end of the first week home I was doing 3 x 10 mins. The second week I added 2 extra 5 minute walks.

im 18 days post op and do 3 x 10 mins, plus 3 x 5 minutes spaced out throughout daylight hours. Listen to your body. DO NOT increase by too much.

In the literature my Physio gave me it states "increase the distance you walk from 30 minutes daily in the first week ( in shirt bursts as I wrote) to 60 minutes daily by week 6. So by week 6 you might aim to be doing 3 x 20 min or 2 x 30 min walks per day. I hope this helps you smile 

It also suggests in the first 3-4wks you avoid walking up/down steep slopes and over uneven/unstable ground to avoid more strain.

Do not lift, push or pull anything heavier than 2kg for the first 6-8wks. This is the equivalent to a 6-cup kettle of water. 

Avoid:

-unloading washing machines or carrying loads of washing (you can hang up a bit and take a bit down but get someone yo carry it for you....both physios said no 'standing' for long periods so don't hang out too much.....bottom line you shouldn't be on your feet more than 2hrs per day and includes your walking!) 

- vacuuming

- mopping

- sweeping

- scrubbing

- picking up children

- carrying shopping

- bending and squatting

- making beds

.......and thus, avoid anything else remotely similar to the above smile 

For the 6-8 wks after those initial 6-8wks gradually increase with extreme caution to lifting 4 to 5 kg. 

I'm lucky in that I've never had catheta issues so my bladder was fine, I needed no painkillers per se as I have my own ideas that if you mask discomfort then you are more likely to do something you shouldn't lol....

But ANY issues say something. I know it can be difficult as this is a very personal thing, but our ability to talk candidly and get help is the key to our recovery. I am one of those fortunate women who suffer no embarrassment even when it was the young spring chicken male Physio who came to talk to me the morning after my op. This makes it much easier I suspect as a) I'll say it like it is and b) ask questions smile 

You will be tired so rest is vital for the first 2-3wks. Early to bed and naps doing the day.....they recommend at least one nap of one hour per day. Though I'm not good at that so I make sure I have my feet up at least. As you shouldn't sit for more than 2hrs at a time either :-/ 

No driving for the 4 wks. There is good reason for this...I knew someone who didn't do this and a) ruptured her stitches because b) someone rear ended her and c) her insurance didn't pay out because she was driving when she shouldn't have been. The insurance does depend on your provider so if your doctor says it's ok to drive say at 3wks make sure you get a letter stating such AND ring your insurance provider. 

Sleeping: pillow or knee cushion between your legs. If you gave abdominal surgery then no sleeping on your tummy either.

Oh,and no....you don't need to shave. The only reason they ask if have recently is because this means your follicles have been 'grazed' which could result in silly things happening that make it more uncomfy for you. They won't shave you unless absolutely necessary because shaving results in itchiness as hair grows back. This is exactly the sort of thing the medical staff want to avoid! 

Lol.....as usual I can write like I talk.....a lot.

I hope this helps anyone.

I, sure as heck, have been relieved to find this forum. I know I'm extremely lucky thus far as everything was and seems to be text book perfect....but it still helps when you get a little concerned.

• Posted

Donna...I just replied to Lynne given we are both Perth gals....huge post but I hope it helps you as I had my rectocele op 19 days ago on Oct 1st.

:-) xxx

• Posted

Morning Sarah. Isn't this a great forum. Everything you have said is spot on. I am 7 weeks post op this Weds. I wasn't given any leaflets for post op so found a lot of information from other ladies on here. Hopefully your comments will give these other lovely ladies on the forum some understanding of what to expext. The constipation was by far the biggesr issue for me post surgery and took 4 weeks to sort. Ended up having to have enemas. I was due back to work today but still have a problem when driving distances. I have an uncomfortable pressure, (it doesn't hurt) in the rectum area and this then gives me backache after driving. Doc has said surgery has gone well and all healing nicely but in my job description (I work in aged care) on some days i have to drive a bus for up to four hours over the course of a day and put walkers etc onto the bus, so know this would be an issue for me. Also, to be honest even though I feel good in myself, that area is still not 100% at its best and get achy if out of the house for more than a few hours. I see doc again this Weds and am going to try and go back next Monday on restricted duties, no lifting, pushing etc. Thank goodness I have also had manual handling training. We have a no lift policy at work so that is good. By the end of Monday I will know myself if the right decision has been made about returning to work. Not over confident but will wait and see. Funny thing is the surgeon says i'm ok to go back but my own doc (female) says I should wait a bit longer! I am lucky to have had 15 weeks sick leave up my sleeve. This has been a very trying time for me as since being in oz have never been off sick. You lucky lady getting a cancellation so early. Since April I had no quality of life due to the problems I had, was on restricted duties at work and was getting so depressed as i kept thinking I must be imagining the pain, so we ended up paying private to get it all done earlier. To be honest if all the surgery is successful it was worth every dollar just to get quality of life back. 

Sarah, you are only going to be 4 weeks post Op when you go back to work, that does seem really early, especially considering you are still uncomfortable. I wiould be surprised if Doc allows you to. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Keep me posted with your recovery. Best wishes, Lynne

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Thankyou for all the info it will be a great help. I've had lots of advice of the ladies on here.☺ I you sure after 4 weeks you are ready to go back to work, Most people have advised me at least 6 and some have had a few weeks longer.I go in on friday for the op. I'm told its 1 night so hopefully home sat. I'm nervous but only to be expected i guess. 

Hope swelling goes down quickly that can't be much fun! 

Donna x

• Posted

Hi Sarah, How are things going with you? hopefully you are well on the road to recovery by now. How long did you end up having off work? i am still having big issues with pressure in my bottom and on restricted duties at work. The back ache can be so intense on some days. I am waiting to see a bowel specialist at Royal perth Hospital to see if anything is going on in that area. I am also seeing a physio who only deals in womens pelvic floor. she has found on examination that the muscle attached to coccyx area is not working and nerve endings are possibly causing grief. lots of exercises to do. can't believe I am still suffering so much after 14 weeks just wish I could see light at what has been a very long tunnel. it would be good to hear how you are, most people on this forum seem to have there fair share of issues after the op.
    • Posted

I live in Texas and had the reticule and bladder sling surgery. It is an out patient surgery here and you go home with antibiotics and pain medication, also I had a catheter for 3 days and then removed by my Urologist who preformed my surgery.

I am 5 days post surgery and I was very constipated, I called my urologist and he told me to take Magnesium Citrate which is OTC...wow what a relief, within an hour of drinking it it was working. Just thought I would let anyone know about this if you were having the same problem as me.

• Posted

Hi Lynne. I've been using this forum for the past three weeks as I've just had anterior/posterior repair and sacrospinous fixation. I realise your post insanity old now but hopefully you may be able to ease my worries. I had been doing well with minimal pain and obeying everything regarding lifting etc. the only thing I had done it to golfer short walks. On Monday night I thought I was hemorrhagic get after walking a little faster that morning. I rang the hospital who said to rest and come into emergency if it didn't settle.mth awful, overnight it did settle down and I've been resting ever since. However, the stomach cramps have returned and the bleeding has increased (although not yet to the worrying extent of the other night). I am also in  Australia so after reading your informative post, thought it worth asking if you had periods of fresh bleeding over the first few weeks of recovery. It seems to have just come out of the blue as before that there was very little discharge at all. Thanks .
    • Posted

Hi Angeka, gosh so much has happened since I last posted. Re your question, I didn't bleed that much to be honest. Probably bled for 10 days or so but not fresh blood. Would be good idea to speak with your GP, but sure you will be ok. I have had more surgery since 1st op.... Cut a long story short, things didn't improve with the pressure in rectum when sitting so gynaecologist referred me to colorectal surgeon, turns out I also had an entrocele & intersussuption, (bowel lining completely consertinered down) & rectocele surgery had failed. Hence more major surgery. I am 5 months post op from 2nd surgery, still on restricted duties, so all in all its been a crap 2 years! Must remain positive though. Hope all goes well with you, keep us posted. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.