My blood pressure needs to be controlled! So now I have Kidney diseases!!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

My feet have swollen and my blood pressure is  consistently high. I have been diagnosed with kidney disease. I am curious about what others are using to control their blood pressure. (I am talking about medications and not food, running, meditation, sleeping etc....) Is there a high blood pressure medication that want damage your kidneys...at least not too much?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you spoken with your doctors? 

Because you have a kidney disease I would definitely speak with them they have to be very careful with medications your placed on

Do they have you on any HCTZ ? 

• Posted

I am talking with my doctor. I am taking Metoprolol and Lasix. My average bp 170/91. I am just trying to find out what others are taking.
    • Posted

It is the Lasix (furosemide) that will be giving your kidneys a kicking. Diuretics do that.

Metoprolol is also sometimes given for a form of heart failure, which means your ankles/lower legs would swell up.

Google 'metoprolol congestive heart failure' don't go overboard on the heart failure, it merely means it is not functioning as it should be. Ask your doctor about it.

• Posted

Thanks RHGB,

I’ll talk with the Dr. about the lasix....I really would like to protect my Kidneys as much as possible....I have even cut out most of my vitamins.

• Posted

Sorry. Metoprolol nearly killed me. It’s poisen in my book But I’m glad that it helps you
    • Posted

Thanks Tee,

What Medication are you taking now?

• Posted

I agreed to keep the HCTZ on hand but my blood pressure is only high when I go to the doc. No BP meds. Hey HCTZ helps me because sometimes I have swelling due to multiple sclerosis but not very bad and I only use it once in a blue moon however I do think it’s safe to use a low dose of that every day I would definitely never go on any kind of blood pressure medicines again like beta blockers channel blocker’s etc.

HCTZ helps because sometimes I have swelling due to multiple sclerosis but not very bad and I only use it once in a blue moon however I do think it’s safe to use a low dose of that every day I would definitely never go on any kind of blood pressure medicines again like beta blockers channel blocker‘s etc. I do suffer from anxiety having served as a nurse and Iraq and Afghanistan but I don’t know if that is why my pressure goes up at times I have no idea I do think I was put on the beta blockers  without enough evidence to back it but I did give it a try I just didn’t know that I would become that Ill. My BP however historically has run a bit high  according to the new standards out before the new standards no one ever thought that I had high blood pressure 

I made some dietary changes that of help me but overall health wise for a variety of reasons

Are you having any side effects with that drug mostly everyone I’ve spoken to hate it and has had a bad reaction from it or become very ill but there’s always a few that do OK on it

• Posted

I have fatigue issues, but not sure its a side effect from the medication. I am going to figure a way to challenge it.
    • Posted

That Metoprolol causes terrible fatigue among other things 
  • Posted

How long have you been on BP tablets and what are you currently taking?
  • Posted

Brown, I can’t speak for BP medication as my experience is that if they don’t knock my kidney function, they cause stomach upsets or other intolerable problems, sometimes landing me in A&E - my body just will not play ball with medication for whatever reason.  The only med I can take is Losartan Potassium, and one excellent pharmacist says it is the one he hears the least complaints about from patients.  Perhaps worth a try for you?  

I have a sole kidney, CKD3b and extremely high BP.

For your swollen ankles, have you tried avoiding salt?  Also, avoid all caffeinated drinks as this can help your blood pressure.  Another helpful solution for the ankle swelling is to get in the water and swim.

• Posted

Thanks MrsO,

I have tried every non medication there is to reduce my blood pressure and swelling. So....now sadly  “I need the drugs”.  You are right about Losartan. I took Hyzaar many years ago with good results except a side effect rashing. I might try that again. 

• Posted

Brown, although I don’t experience any discernible side effects from Losartan Potassium at 50mg, I do experience ithching/rash if I increase the dose to 100mg.  Perhaps you could try Losartan alone at the 50mg dose in the first instance and, hopefully like me will not have the rash side effect.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Yes, I think thats a good idea... I just drop down my dosage to 100mg this morning. I will see how it goes. I need to get a handle on this thing ASAP!!!
    • Posted

Guess what MrsO...you are correct!

My Doctor just advised  me to take Losartan 50mg.

I have been thinking  about other things to try. I don’t smoke, I quite drinking, I really could loose a little weight (5 to 10 pounds). I really love coffee, but guess l’ll need to wean off it somehow.....😰😰😰

Thanks!

• Posted

Yes, I wondered if losing some weight might help my, too.  About a stone perhaps.  I have managed to lose about 8 or 9lbs so far.  However, I wonder if good blood pressure reduction would only occur in those who have a lot of excess weight to lose.  Worth a try though.  With regard to coffee, perhaps it might help if you could try drinking decaf coffee rather than weaning off it totally?  Hope reducing the Losartan dose has a good effect on your feet swelling at least.  Interestingly, not only have I experienced ankle swelling from many BP pills, I also usually experience ankle swelling in hot temperatures.  However, during the last couple of weeks of scorching temperatures my ankles haven't swollen at all.  I'm wondering if the few pounds weight loss has helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.