My boot

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anyone else have problems getting boot on? I'm almost 12 weeks out from surgery, displaced and fibula fracture, all the screws and plate like everyone else. I'm not even allowed to try to walk yet, doc says no callous seen on X-ray yet. I was told I can remove boot to shower or anytime I'm in bed, so to avoid pain I stay in bed and keep the boot off.

Here's the problem, my foot won't reach the bottom of the boot. My swollen ankle is in the way. I'm sort of suspended about 1/4 inch off the bottom of the boot. I'm not comprehending how I will even attempt to walk in this damn thing, I just can't get my foot flat in it. 

Any thoughts? My pain level goes up so much just sitting in the boot as it squeezes my ankle, as opposed to just sitting with a free ankle. 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you pumping your boot up. It needs to be fully deflated when you put it on and do velcro up. Then once you have your foot in then you pump it up. If the ankle is really swollen you can bend the boot a bit to make it wider. Maybe take it to hospital physio dept to fit it? What size shoe do you take and what size is your boot?
    • Posted

I do deflate it, then by the time I wear it again , it seems to reason the air would be gone.  When I try again, I velcro up, then pump it. I wear a size 8-1/2 women's, it's a size medium boot, I was told in my range, and my toes are hidden so it's seems somewhat big in that regard. I guess I'll have to address with my doctor Wednesday when I go in for an X-ray. I know they have in house physical therapy,  maybe there is something they can do to adjust it.

• Posted

I was just on the cusp of small medium. Small was tiny and medium was a little big. It had 3 chambers and I put 25 pumps into each chamber to get it comfortable. Re inflating if needed in the day. My boot was really comfy and I could walk miles in it. Do get it sorted. Good luck x
  • Posted

After 4th surgery and ankle fusion and still non weight bearing I dont wear the boot in my house. It feels much better loose for me. Maybe when the swelling goes down you will have a much easier time wearing the boot. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks, tick, tock - swelling that never goes away! 
    • Posted

Your rite... Forever swelling. I was thinking that I'm going to have to buy 2 differemt sizes when I get shoes after this nightmare😭

• Posted

Isn't it such a nightmare, who knew walking to go pee was a gift! Lol

• Posted

I am out of the boot. My ankle is like a balloon!
    • Posted

Nightmare is an understatment!! Only someone who had ankle surgery and had to be still for so long can understand the boredom ... Isolation.. Pain.... Ive done this four times. 3 in the past 15 months and everyone was worse for the one before. I tried to explain it to my sister how depressing it is..... Not all day every day but I have to fight it oven. I really just want to walk and my life back😁 and a clean house and laundry done!

• Posted

I cannot even imagine. Ankle surgery was my 7th surgery in life, thyroid cancer, 2 babies, gallstones, lol etc...but I would take any of those surgeries and pain over this! I am thankful my kids are at an age to help, although they are slightly spoiled and lazy, but there's no way I could do it. It is ridiculously depressing and isolating, I just start crying every now and again, lol I can't help it, so you definitely are not alone. But damn, that many ankle surgeries, that is rotten! :-(

• Posted

Geez, seems there's no easy or quick fix, it's just a waiting game of many months. 

• Posted

It really is nice to know that I'm not alone and someone gets it!!!! Thank you😁

• Posted

I know. I am just out of boot now. Slowly mobilising. Ankle surgery is so long winded and psychologically damaging. The support on this forum indicates just how much. We all want to help each other.
  • Posted

Often times the tightness of the boot will help with inflammation. During a previous foot surgery, I was instructed to wear a sneaker. Couldn’t get it on very well, & kept on not wearing it. Finally forced my foot into it & slowly improved.  Ask your doctor??

• Posted

Yeah I was kind of wondering if I'm not screwing myself up by not tolerating it solid for very long, and going ankle naked lol. The doc is the one who said as long as I'm not moving, all ok. We'll see what he says Wednesday, definitely can't walk as this fits now.

• Posted

I had a hate hate relationship with my boot as well. Lol. I was able to get it on but the pain was excruciating. Plus it was heavy and hung on my ankle when I was up. I ended up researching boots and ended up paying to get a better one. While I was online shopping for one I found the one I bought form the doctor. I paid $110 for it from him and it was $40 on line and had terrible reviews. I went with an Aircast instead and it made all the difference in the world. It was roomier, had 3 separate air chambers so I could customize where I needed it to be tighter or looser. and about 1/3 of the weight of the other boot. 

• Posted

I'm not sure what I have, it's a big black monster, you pump it up, and strap yourself in. I feel like when I lift my left my ankle is lifting the whole boot, how can that be good?! I don't understand what you mean by chambers, is there anyway you can send a link to what you bought? My surgeon billed my insurance company $400 for this monster, but I saw it on line much cheaper; robbery! I'm definitely willing to try what you have out of my pocket if it feels better! :-)

• Posted

Aircast are the best boots. They have 3 seperate chambers for pumping up. So if your ankle is more swollen one side or the other you can adjust the corresponding chamber. They are quite light. Very supportive and protective. I loved my boot. I bought an aircast walker elite, longer length to just below knee. I am out of boot now, for 6 days, but went out and did lots of walking the other day so wore my boot again. If it is not comfortable it is definitely not right. Are you in USA?
    • Posted

Yes I am. I'm going to google what you have. 

• Posted

Thank you, thank you! I have my X-ray and appt in a few hours, going to address this with doc.  The boot you bought also looks closer to the ground, mine at least appears higher. Did you need a lift for your other foot to even things out? I'm excited there be something that fits me better than this thing! :-)

• Posted

It is the same boot as mine. I wear a thick soled trainer on my other foot.

It really was so comfortable, my mobility was good and it helps minimize inevitable muscle wastage.

C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.