My Citalopram diary

Posted , 16 users are following.

Well following a admission to hospital 3 weeks ago for extreme fatigue, weight loss and pains in my abdomen and many test including a colonoscopy which all came back 'all clear' I've been persribed anti-depressants for stress and anxiety.

I have always had anxiety since my early teens but have NEVER been medicated for this I have always just 'dealt' with it. However with the pressures of work and imminate house move and young family I think my body/brain finally gave in!

So I'm trying medication in the hope I can lose the anxiety and get my life back on track, after reading many scare stories of the side effects (which nearly put me off) I finally gave in and took my first dose tonight - I was given sertraline 50mg last week as the first option but after what felt like a heart attack (I'm 30 btw) on the 3rd day I threw the towel in.

Having researched since I now know 50mg was quite a strong dose to start on!! So here I am round 2 and a new drug - this time Citalopram 10mg and I started my first dose tonight...well when I say first dose I took a quarter of a tablet effectively (2.5mg) I'm starting slow this time and building it up, I also have Gilberts Syndrome which makes some drugs reactive differently.

I'm going to keep this thread going to help explain any side effects and hopefully dispell and scare stories and hopefully share my own happy ending.

Stay tuned!

1 like, 71 replies

71 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi David

Wonderful idea! This will be of real benefit to new users. Also we are all here for you too xxxx

• Posted

Hi David, Ive been through a similar experience however I started on something different, then I was given citalopram, I started at 10mg, upped to 20mg after 6 months and last week 40mg, stick with it, I can honestly say it takes a few weeks to see an improvement, until last year, I never understood the effects of stress on the human brain. The doctors told me I was suffering from Stress & Depression, my body was a wreck, but it was my brain that needed to take a rest.

Citalopram has given me my life back ! Stick with it!!!

• Posted

I am changing from cital to Zoloft at 3rd week,now at 100mg, not feeling the effects. Was on 40mg of cital but it seemed to shop working? Feel more withdrawal and high anxiety did you go through any of this?

David

• Posted

David you will be OK on CIT .I hated sertraline. Nearly sent be over board. Been taking 20 CIT for 18 months but I felt great after 6 months .I only take them out of habit now. All I can say how down you are keep saying to your self you feel great !!!! If you don't you will brain wash your self,feelibd down depressed and anxiety. Be positive you will get there and you will feel fantastic again .all the best mate
    • Posted

I am off cital and am taking Zoloft 100mg. Went up from 25mg, and 20 mg of cital, next week off cital went up to 50 mg of Zoloft, 3 rd week been on 100 mg of Zoloft (been 4 days).

Doesn't feel like it is working

• Posted

Thanks all for your messages I think I'll need this diary just as much as readers may appreciate it.

Hopefully it keeps my mind off any (at all side effects)!

• Posted

Hi, I've been on 10mg Citalopram for the last 18 days, the side effects to begin with were truly awful but with the help from lots of people on this forum I've stuck it out and each day is getting easier. You may well feel like chucking it in again (I had no choice this time, I've caved in before after a few days, but couldn't carry on the way I was) but please try and stick with it, we are def all here for you xxx
    • Posted

Thanks Marf

I realised myself that I can't deal with things on my own this time after the AD I was first given last week and the horrible side effects I had I tried to get myself back on track but it wasn't working and after a sobbing sessions yesterday I knew I had to give these a go. Good to hear things are getting easier for you it helps to have good support around you - I have a fantastic wife who herself had to take Citalopram some years ago so she understands how this all feels. Interestingly she started on 20mg, started taking them the day she left the doctors and never experienced ANY side effects!

• Posted

David, have a look on the 'has anyone NOT had side effects' thread, there are so many interesting bits to read xx
  • Posted

So it's the morning after the night before!

A few things to note from last night, firstly it seem to take longer than normal to get to sleep, I felt really tired but I just couldn't drop off. When I did fall asleep I kept waking and developed a cracking headache - I suffer with migraines so whilst this may be unpleasant to most my pain tolerance is quite high so I just tried to sleep through it.

Other than that I don't feel any worse than I've been feeling the last couple of weeks anyway. So I'm going to get some breakfast in me and just rest as much as possible today - luckily I'm signed off work so have time to get this drugs working.

I just want to get through the worst of the side effects so I can try getting back to normality then hopefully the 'light at the end of the tunnel' will eventually follow.

• Posted

So dose number 2 tonight - hopefully the hammering headache doesn't follow when I hit the hay tonight! I do have some good painkillers from my stay in hospital which I'll take if needs be!

Other than that today has probably been the best day I've had for a while, been for a walk with the family then did some jobs around the house.

Feel a bit tired now though - so I'll try and get an early night after tea.

• Posted

So the morning after the night before (again) and happy to report that no headache, no real issues really apart from I do find myself waking throughout the night but I settle off again quite quickly.

So I think I'll continue on 2.5mg until the end of the week then I'll increase to 5mg then hopefully my body/brain will continue to ease into them.

Compared to the side effects I experienced on Sertraline this is a breeze so far!

• Posted

It'll be interesting to see if going on them bit by bit works well re side effects, I went straight to 10mg and have felt appalling, although I don't weigh much and am not good at tolerating any drugs anyhow xxx
    • Posted

Hi Marf

I very rarely use any type of drug - I won't even use paracetamol most of the time. So was very fearful of taking these tablets but the alternative was far more scary!

The side effect I'm trying to avoid is loss of appetite - I'm 6'2 and already lost 1.5 stone over the past 4 weeks so I'm keen not to lose anymore. My appetite still hasn't returned but I'm making the effort to eat well and snack little and often.

Can I ask what side effects you are experiencing and how have they developed?

Thanks for your support X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.