My colonoscopy was difficult because I have kinks in my colon, anyone else have this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone, I have just joined and am so glad to have found a lovely group where we can get support, advice and share different experiences of diverticular disease. I started having symptoms in July this year, bloating, pain in my tummy and back pain. Then, in September I had excruciating pain upper left handside under my ribs which had me doubled over. My doctor ordered a colonoscopy which I had in October. I was sedated, but unfortunately my procedure was difficult, my colon apparently has kinks. So they had to give me gas and air, then the nurse had to press down hard on my tummy to try and flatten the kinks. I left the hospital feeling like I had just done 10 rounds in a boxing ring!! I never, ever want to have a colonoscopy again! Anyway, I received a letter from the hospital stating that the investigation has shown some diverticular disease and they were going to leave my on-going care with my family doctor. Is there any need to see the doctor, as I am keeping a food diary, cut out out all fruit with seeds and pips. Also, I am taking 1 sachet of Fybrogel a day and touch wood, everything seems to be ok. Thank you.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Most people get Diverticular Disease as they get older. 

I think you have coexistant IBS, which is causing the abdominal cramps.

IBS is triggered often by anxiety or certain foods (Dairy and gluten being the classics). Have an experiment with your diet, but stay reasonable and rational - if a dietary exclusion has made no difference after 3/4 days - you’ve got the wrong villain - reintroduce that food and try something else.

• Posted

I agree Ben im 67 but only found out I had it after a bad flare and a  colonoscopy showed diverticulitis before that I had no symptoms not even bloating.
    • Posted

Did you actually have diverticulitis? 

Diverticular Disease = Diverticulosis = Having colonic Diverticulae

Diverticulitis = A diverticulum gets clogged up - infected and inflamed - its like appendicitis but in a colonic diverticulum.

Diverticulitis is a rare complication of diverticular disease - most people with DD wont ever get it.

• Posted

Good luck with that one Linda I personally wouldn't even attempt to eat a Chinese meal apart from the spices and fat content the quantity would floor me. I have told people that I cant eat very much and when I do its very select last Christmas I went out for a meal with our local gym and didn't eat until gone 7 which is far too late for me and I left  over half the food on my plate, suffered for days so now im making a stand and saying no.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.