My cure for hives after 21 years

Posted , 24 users are following.

I thought after 21 years, I would NEVER find a cure.  I was diagnosed after taking two Ibuprofen.  It almost killed me, and the lasting effect was hives.  I couldn't do anything or go anywhere without being covered in hives.  I could no longer wear sundresses, shorts or capris because my legs and arms were ALWAYS covered in hives.  I went to bed with them and I woke up with them.  I was allergic to everything.  I saw more than my share of doctors, even a Hematologist.  Nothing worked.  I took every prescription, cream, lotion, and shot available, including two cycles of Xolair.  Nothing.  The stress of itching all day, every day was overwhelming.  The swelling it caused in my hands and feet was unbearable.  Then one day, I remember having an allergic reaction to Aleve years ago, ending up in the ER where they gave me an IV drip of Pepcid.  I thought that was odd.  I even mentioned it to my doctor, and he said huh, an H20 inhibitor. Not knowing what he meant by that, it didn't mean anything to me.  All these years I continued to suffer with no hope in sight.  One day I started thinking about the drip they gave me and while I have been on Prilosec for years due to having Asthma and Acid Reflux, I had never taken Pepcid AC.  I had been on Zyrtec for years for my allergies, but it did nothing for my hives.  I decided to switch fro Prilosec to Pepcid AC and used it with my Zyrtec instead.  After a few days, I couldn't believe my eyes.  I had them before on my hands and feet.  Now, nothing!  I was shocked they were going away.  Over time, they continued to disappear.  It's been about a year now, and I have not had one hive.  I feel as though there are phantom hives on me, when I look, there's nothing there.  I am so relieved of the stress of having to deal with it everyday.  I know this may not be a cure for anyone, but for me it was a Godsend, because I was at the end of my rope.  I take 4 Zyrtec and two Pepcid AC everyday.  NO HIVES in almost a year.  My doctor was shocked that that combination worked, but since he was at the end of his rope and there was nothing else he could do, I think he was relieved I healed myself.  I didn't change my diet, my environment, or anything.  Good luck to you all and I hope you find a cure, because I know exactly what hell you are going through.  After 21 years, I AM CURED!!!!

7 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hello

are you still taking the 4 Zyrtec a day?

wendy

• Posted

Yes, I still take the 4 Zyrtec and 2 Pepcid AC every day. Not one hive since last year.
  • Posted

Hi Rene

My Chronic Urticaria became severe in July 2015.  the doctors tried everything...nothing worked until I found a wonderful doctor at Johns Hopkins.   She put me slowly on Cyclosporine then added Prednisone until I was hive free..stayed on that dose for a month or so...then very slowly went down and off the Cyclosporine then slowly going off the Prednisone.  I have been hive free for over a year now and down to 6mg of Prednisone.  I was down to 1mg every other day but I had a small breakout due to a stressful situation so doctor had me go back up to 20 mg then slowly down.  The key to Prednisone is going down 1 mg at a time and stay on it for couple of weeks if you are hive free...then go down another 1 mg and so on .  

What would happen if you took less Zyrtec......would you breakout?

wendy

• Posted

Unfortunately, the Zyrtec alone didn't do anything.  I have severe allergies and asthma, so I was on the Zyrtec for the allergies, it was the addition of the Pepcid that made the difference for me.  I've been on multiple doses of Prednisone for years, that had no affect on my hives.  I'm glad you found the solution for you, but long term prednisone has it's side affects as well.  The swelling, increased appetite and overall long term use of prednisone is bad enough.  I would only take it for ten days at a time, and that was when I had a severe sinus/upper respiratory infection, not for hives.  Unfortunately, my hives never went away.  I'm allergic to most antibiotics, so that only made the hives worse.  If all I had to change was adding two Pepcid to my meds, that was an easy, and cheap fix!  I'm glad to have my life again, and all I did was substitute the Pepcid for the Prilosec, so there was nothing new added, just an alternative.

• Posted

I am so glad to hear about you being hives free. Twenty years is a long time to battle with the everyday itching and everything dealing with hives. I battled with  Chronic Urticarial and the everyday itching for about a year before I got mine under control, I hope. I get by with daily Doxepin and occational use of Prednisone and Dapsone.
    • Posted

Hello Brown 

when you need the Prednisone.....how much and how often do you take it?  I am now down to 5mg and slowly working back down and hopefully off.  However if I start to breakout again in the hives I will probably stay on a very low dose.  As long as I have been on the Prednisone I have had no side effects or weight gain.  As mentioned on my other post......I was down to 1 mg every other day until I had much stress then the stress brought on the hives sad so needed to go back up.

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

My last treatment of Prednisone was almost a month ago. I was weeded down from 20mg. I had averaged being on it every other month. My doctor gave me some good advice: he said for me to take a very low dose any time I started a new outbreak. One problem I have with Prednisone is that it makes me a little stressful. For me thats a side effect. So, I have to be careful while using it.

• Posted

Hello Brown

Sounds like we have good doctors.  How much Prednisone ( mg ) is very low dose when you have a breakout?  And how long does it take for you to go off .  Very interesting....you mentioned your side effect is feeling stressful.  I have been feeling that as well....feeling anxiety but thought it was due to our daughter going through a difficult time.....maybe it's from Prednisone.  All I know is that Prednisone has been a blessing being able to be hive free!!  Are you concerned about your bones?  Are you taking any Calcium?

thank you for sharing.

Best,

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Brown

I forgot to mention...my doctor also recommends me to take Allegra.......so I just take it a few times a week just to keep it in my system.  It's a anti-histamine.  Really works well with hives.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

Yes, I like my doctor because he seems caring, concerned and knowledgeable.  5mg of Prednisone is a low dose for me. I found this out the hard way, but yes Prednisone  makes me anxious and stressed out. So, yes the Prednisone will cause anxiety. I am not taking any calcium at this time. I am hoping that my higher dose of Doxepin will keep the hives from coming back. I am glad that the Prednisone is working for you. 

Wishing the best for you Wendy

• Posted

Hello

do you take 5mg Prednisone each day or take 5mg when you break out to stop the hives?  You might want to consider trying Allegra when on low dose of Prednisone every now and then. I am now down to 4 mg Prednisone this week so will take Allegra a few times this week just to keep inflammation down.  Such a blessing to have these meds to keep us hive free.  Eat healthy as well.

have a great day!

wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

I take 5mg until the rash is gone and then take half that for about a week. I will try the Allegra while on low dose. It's worth a try. Yes these meds are a blessing!!

Thanks! 

• Posted

Hello Brown

How are you doing? Are you still on 5 mg Prednisone?  My doctor has me do 4mg then 3mg next day, then 4mg and so on for two weeks before going down to 3 mg.  Have you gotten Allegra yet?  It's great to have if you should start to break out in some hives as it takes them away....instead of bumping up on the Prednisone.

hope you are well

wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

Hope you are doing good. I am doing good for now. My last dosage of Prednisone was on August 31. So far, I haven't had an outbreak yet, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I bought the Costco generic for Allegra and will start taking it I breakout. I really don't want to take Prednisone if I can avoid it.

Best wishes to you

• Posted

Hello Brown

just checking in to see how you are doing......keep us posted.

wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

I am doing fine. I had no outbreak of hives accept for itching, but I am dealing with something new; it’s called Wells syndrome (eosinophilic cellulitis). A topical gel Dapsone is controlling that. Thanks for asking, so how are you doing?

• Posted

Hello Brown

I am doing well.  Still hive free.  I am down to 3 mg Prednisone.  Will ask doctor about going down to 2 mg this week.  As mentioned she has me go down very slowly.  She may have me alter 3mg then 2mg then 3 and so on for two weeks before going down to 1mg.  That is so important to go down slowly when going off the Prednisone.  I will add Allegra a few times a week as well.  I pray I will be able to completely go off the Prednisone.

Glad you are doing well!

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

I forgot to say that my Dermatologist has me on 150mg Doxepin. He said if I stop taking it my hives and itching will likely flare up again. I will cross my fingers and pray that you'll be completely off the Prednisone.

• Posted

Hi Brown

FYI....I am now down to 1mg Prednisone with Allegra.......getting there hopefully.  How are you doing?

Wemdy

• Posted

Hi Brown

Just checking in with you to see how you are doing with keeping the hives away.  I am still at 1mg of Prednisone in the AM and 1 Allegra in the evening.  I have had some hive breakouts then I have to increase Allegra in AM too.  Please let me know how you are doing.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Brown,

I saw a dermatologist who prescribed Doxepin but it didn’t help at all and he told me to go back to the allergist.  😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.