My cure for hives after 21 years

Posted , 24 users are following.

I thought after 21 years, I would NEVER find a cure.  I was diagnosed after taking two Ibuprofen.  It almost killed me, and the lasting effect was hives.  I couldn't do anything or go anywhere without being covered in hives.  I could no longer wear sundresses, shorts or capris because my legs and arms were ALWAYS covered in hives.  I went to bed with them and I woke up with them.  I was allergic to everything.  I saw more than my share of doctors, even a Hematologist.  Nothing worked.  I took every prescription, cream, lotion, and shot available, including two cycles of Xolair.  Nothing.  The stress of itching all day, every day was overwhelming.  The swelling it caused in my hands and feet was unbearable.  Then one day, I remember having an allergic reaction to Aleve years ago, ending up in the ER where they gave me an IV drip of Pepcid.  I thought that was odd.  I even mentioned it to my doctor, and he said huh, an H20 inhibitor. Not knowing what he meant by that, it didn't mean anything to me.  All these years I continued to suffer with no hope in sight.  One day I started thinking about the drip they gave me and while I have been on Prilosec for years due to having Asthma and Acid Reflux, I had never taken Pepcid AC.  I had been on Zyrtec for years for my allergies, but it did nothing for my hives.  I decided to switch fro Prilosec to Pepcid AC and used it with my Zyrtec instead.  After a few days, I couldn't believe my eyes.  I had them before on my hands and feet.  Now, nothing!  I was shocked they were going away.  Over time, they continued to disappear.  It's been about a year now, and I have not had one hive.  I feel as though there are phantom hives on me, when I look, there's nothing there.  I am so relieved of the stress of having to deal with it everyday.  I know this may not be a cure for anyone, but for me it was a Godsend, because I was at the end of my rope.  I take 4 Zyrtec and two Pepcid AC everyday.  NO HIVES in almost a year.  My doctor was shocked that that combination worked, but since he was at the end of his rope and there was nothing else he could do, I think he was relieved I healed myself.  I didn't change my diet, my environment, or anything.  Good luck to you all and I hope you find a cure, because I know exactly what hell you are going through.  After 21 years, I AM CURED!!!!

7 likes, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am going to look into Zyrtec and Pepcid AC. Thanks for your contribution.
    • Posted

It's worth a try.  I've read some of the other forums that some are on Zantac, which is also an H20 inhibitor.  I just chose Pepcid since that's what I received as an IV.  My allergies are bad enough that I need the 4 Zyrtec a day, I just added the Pepcid instead of the Prilosec.  I hope you find a solution to your problem.  It can control your life and keep you from enjoying things that others take for granted. I'm happy that I no longer have to talk about them or see them anymore.  I just hope and pray that it's a permanent fix.  I'm enjoying wearing dresses and shorts again.  Good luck to you!!!

?

• Posted

Hello!

I have been taking 10mg of Zyrtec twice a day (7am and 7pm) for about a month now. It's been working great for me, no hives until yesterday I had a small flare up. I was wondering how you split up your meds throughout the day. You say you take 4 zyrtec a day...do you spread those out? Since I take my zyrtec one at 7am and one at 7pm where should I add in the Pepcid?

• Posted

I'm surprised you were not directed to try an H2RB- e.g., famotidine or ranitidine (I take both) earlier in your treatment. If you look at this website and any professional allergy org and/or current literature about urticarial manage, you'd find most of us are already taking these drugs in various dosages and combinations. I Iist the 9 or 10 meds that I take incl, dosages in other posts. I'm also an RN, now FNP, so I was familiar with all of the drugs classes and, also, taking many b/c I have severe allergic rhinitis. I'm on the max+ of all treatment categories (antihistamine [1st/2nd gen], anti-inflammatory [steroids/Plaquenil], H2RB, montelukast/LTRA, and doxepin/antidepressants [anticholinergic/H2blocking]); it's mainly the prednisone that's helping me and not the 6 doses of Xolair I've taken the last 4 months. 

I am glad to hear that you've gotten relieve and/or remission ;-). It gives me hope. I’m on my 9th month w/hives. My allergist says to wait until 6 months of taking Xolair before I assume it’s a failure. Mainly, I'm weaning off of the steroid very slowly but the hives always break out if I rush it or take the dose late. I am also being very strict with keeping a food diary of my eating habits b/c I recently noticed certain foods like fig-based fruit bars, Country Time Lemonade and lemon juice concentrate cause hives. All I can do now is adjust my diet and use of personal hygiene products to avoid allergens/triggers.

• Posted

I've been on every drug you can imagine.  I've seen many allergist, even a hematologist because my blood work was also so messed up because of my allergies.  Their only solution was to send me to Houston for a full work up and treatment.  There is not one drug or combination of drugs that I haven't tried.  These hives were cause by two Ibuprofen when I was 30 years old.  Between the allergies, which started at 25, then the asthma which started in my late 20's, then I started having allergic reactions to things I had taken for years. My body Is overly sensitive to all medications and I have just the opposite affect on what they should do.  I couldn't stand in my front yard and water my grass without breaking out. I live in South Texas and I'm allergic to mesquite, hickory and pecans.  Where can you go in Texas and not find these things in everything you eat?  I've been allergy tested 4 times, my last round of allergy shots was 4 years.  I've done the Xolair injections twice.  I've tried every inhaler, nasal spray, over the counter allergy meds, prednisone, depo Medrol (which now I'm allergic to), I have a nebulizer when my asthma gets bad, my last set of shots cured me of 10 allergens, and I developed 12 new ones.  It never ends.  As long as this combination works for me, I'm not changing anything.  I guess everyone is different, you have to find what works for you.  I don't want to be on prednisone, because I have a lot of side effects from that.  Not good long term. I will keep doing it as long as it works.

• Posted

I agree, take whatever drug you and your providers think will or does works the best for you. Hopefully, my post did not suggest otherwise since it was not my intention. As you may already know all drugs have 3 names: brand name: Pepcid, generic name: famotidine, and, lastly, a chemical name: N'(aminosulfonyl)-3-[[[2-[(diaminomethylene)amino]-4-thiazolyl]methyl]thio]propanimidamide, which providers almost never use. I use generic and brand names interchangeably as well as a 4th category, mechanism of action [H2RB-a hydrogen receptor-blocker], to discuss medications on this site. My goal on this site is to provide and receive support for chronic intermittent urticaria (CIU).

No 2 patients with CIU or any disease are ever identical; however, the etiology (cause of illness) is generally the same or similar. CIU is a disorder of the immune response, mainly rogue IgE antibodies or abnormal IgE receptors located on specific inflammatory/immune cells. I am also more sensitive to outbreaks of hives/angioedema or itching with exposure to new or even familiar products or allergens; it's common with this illness. ?I wish you the best and hope you remain hive free.

• Posted

Oops, I meant to write that an H2RB is an H2 (histamine-2) blockers, which results in decreased hydrogen/hydrochloric acid.

Mechanism of action:

Ranitidine [all H2RBs] is a competitive, reversible inhibitor of the action of histamine at the histamine H2 receptors found in gastric parietal cells. This results in decreased gastric acid secretion [hydrochloric acid/HCl] and gastric volume, and reduced hydrogen ion [H+] concentration.

• Posted

Good for you,that you are hives free.I have had them for 6. Years,everyday  I 

They are making my life miserable,I take cetirizine,and they go away,but live me tired and depressed and they came back again,I can’t Handel anymore without no cure this is a very bad situation I am not being happy,because of hives.

• Posted

Has anyone ever tried an elimination/rotation diet? An allergist put me on one years ago and I was able to get off all meds for a year. Foods are in families and this diet allowed only 1 fruit, 1 veg, and 1 meat per day (all you want) and it couldn't be repeated for 7 days. This eliminated wheat, dairy, sugars, soy, corn, etc, etc. After a few months the body is able to heal itself because it is not being bombarded with sensitivities all the time. The dr. used a glass of water as an analogy. Your body is like a glass; every time you come into contact with an allergen, it's like a drop of water in the glass. When you get so many drops in the glass, it fills up and overflows. This is a reaction whether it's hive, asthma attack or sinus stuff. The goal is to reduce the drops of water (allergens) so the glass (body) does not over flow(react). Food is the most controllable of sensitivities so that's what we went with. It is terribly difficult to do but it works. I felt like a new person after 3 months. After health is sufficiently regained, you start adding back one food at a time and carefully record any reaction, not just typical reactions but nausea or stomach cramps etc. too. It's a lot of work to be so disciplined but it's the only thing that ever worked for me. 

• Posted

Hi Rene, thank you so much for this post. I have only had hives for two weeks, but it has driven me mad. I had a little acid reflux too, but the doctor didn't correlate the two.

anyway, I have taken the Pepcid and the hives are gone. I can't believe it and I am so grateful to you. Thank you so much for sharing the info and I hope you are still hive free. xxx

• Posted

Hi rene

can you tell me how much pepcid you used ? It has been three weeks now and my hives gets worse every day although am on allegra ans benadryl. Is it the pepcid you use for acid reflux? thanks

• Posted

Rene, thank you so much for sharing your experience. Like you, I have been a CIU sufferer for 27 years. I've been to 10 different doctors, dermatologist, allergists, to name a few. Over the years I've spent countless times in ER, taken countless drugs, spent 2 yrs on XOLAIR and nothing has cured me of the nightmare! I recently (Jan2018) had a severe attack and another severe attack last week (Feb2018). I came across your post and tried the XYRTEC/PEPCID AC combination. For the past 3 days I have been HIVE free! God knows I am praying that this will continue to work for me. Needless to say, I have grown weary of this relentless condition! God Bless you and I pray you continue to be free of CIU! Once again, thank you.....

• Posted

Hello Fedup

how are you doing with your hives.......are you still doing well with the Zyrtec and Pepcid?  I haven't seen you posting after posted 4 months ago.  I hope that is good news.  We would love to hear from you.  I pray you are doing well.

Wendy

• Posted

Wow!! I'm so glad you were able to overcome. Is just diagnosed with CU today. Second incident of hives in 2 days, they are everywhere. It's somewhat depressing. The doctor told me to up my once a day zyrtec to 4 times until he gets approval for Xolair. I am so depressed right now. I was wondering when you took the Pepcid? At the same time as a dose of zyrtec, or later? I have had allergies, eczema, and asthma most of my life, but I grew out of them. Apparently not. None of them bothered me until a couple of years ago. I have been on so the concoctions, Singulair, Allegra, hydroxycine, levocetirizine, zyrtec, etc. Creams and lotions galore, plus 2 rounds of prednisone. And now hives!!!

Please, any advice from anyone would be welcome. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.