My diagnosed A fib a week ago.

Posted , 9 users are following.

A fib worrying me and my family and to had stress to this, I am currently on aprobationary period in my new job and scared I might loose it and my wife is convinced we will lose everything. Currently on 1.25mg of blocker and blood thinners. Waiting for scan in 2 days.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

We are in the same shoes. I suddenly had afib last August. Went on temp disability and after three months got fired. Now I not only need to fight afib but need to get a new job which is very tough as I so scared I can’t get through the probation period because of afib. I feel means my family’s life have been totally messed up and if can’t find a job by early next month, I will not be able to pay the mortgage, then bigger problem will come out. Sometimes I just want to give up. Afib makes everyday life miserable especially for the young that has kids and still need to work. Afib just happened at the best time of my life. I don’t even look forward to live a long life now. I just want to get over this and don’t best to grow with the kids into their 20s or 30s. Then I will finish up myself. There is no joy left in my life.
    • Posted

I know exactly what you are going through. It's only been a week and I am walking around the house with a bottle of water waiting for my appointment dates. Even got a welfare meeting with the boss on the same day of the scan. And then there is the cardia shock procedure they are planning to do sometime soon after. You feel like you have been dropped into another world. Even find myself taking little exercises to see what happens. It is a nightmare my friend. But we must be positive for the family as we have no choice. Stay in touch, I am sure we will get through it.

• Posted

For me it’s been eight months. I hadn’t lived one day like myself. I don’t think about any future anymore. Just push through and live day by day without thinking of tomorrow. I used to hope I can get this behind me, but losing hope now.
    • Posted

Is there any plans medicaly for you? Have they done all they can?
    • Posted

I've seen 5 cardiologists and 2 EPs. Also done 5 treadmill tests, holter and ultrasound, and also a CT scan to look for calcium scoring, not to mention numerous blood tests. All and all returned normal. I'm taking the pill-in-pocket approach. There's no plan whatsoever, and there's no much option to be honest. It'll be either daily med (which will fail eventually) or ablation. I've been putting down the ablation knowing it's not a true cure and because I have very young kids that in case something happens during the procedure they'll be so affected, although they've been affecting in the bad way since my diagnosis. Like you, I just want to turn the clock back or get over this for all. But it's sad that nothing seems promising as a cure. Not sure how old are you, but being 37 yo myself, I feel sad and depressed because of this. 

• Posted

I am 55 and I suppose I have had the best part of my life. You are alot younger and I am sure you will get there. I know it seems like a dark place at the moment. We can only keep pushing the medical proffession for more help to get that cure. My meds seem to be helping. But like you I crave for normality as soon as possible.
    • Posted

James,

?there is only so much the medical profession know and WANT to understand about Af - the rest of it is down to you ................. you need to sit down quietly and think about how well (or unwell as the case maybe) you have been feeling prior to AF hitting you in the first place.

?For me I had about 2 and half years of palpitations on and off and my GP and I often tried to capture these on an ECG but by the time I got to having the ECG they had gone away.

?Then you need to think about triggers, what may have brought it on .... in many people there is a genetic link, others stress, and in others diet and perhaps lifestyle, then again there are more medically based issues such as dysfunctional vagal (or some say vagus) nerve ( Google it).

?I was 65 when AF hit me in Jan 2010. I was a bus driver  (and Union Rep in the company I worked for), so plenty of stress - traffic, difficult and unpleasant passengers etc, difficult management etc About a year after AF hit I identified the start of an AF event with food I'd eaten. I developed several symptoms which were similar to IBS and Coeliac Disease (digestive issues which give the link to the vagal nerve). Once my GP organised blood tests and confirmed I was not affected I consulted a Nutritionist who did some basic tests, put me on a course of probiotics and gave me a diet to work on, basically, gluten free, wheat free and oats free ( in both food and alcohol - itself another trigger, as is caffeine and tea). Over the years that followed I monitored my diet and expanded it - end result - only one AF event in 3 years - and that occurred from sleeping on my left side - postural thing, could also be linked to a dysfunctional vagal nerve.

I am now 74 (almost) - survived major surgery ( knee replacement) and still work 30 to 40 hours a week driving a tourist bus which means I must pass a medical each year in order to retain my bus driving licence.

?Hope this helps to reassure you that there is life after AF , no big deal - just take 5 and think about your life. Incidently, I have also discovered a genetic link in my family - my fathers side on the male line of the family.

John

• Posted

Although Afib is a worry especially when first felt, with decent treatment it can often be managed to reduce the occassions, not sure of your details of course, I take calcium channel blocker and small dose of flecainide each day, been pretty good last 9-10 months,  Stress doesn't help, but of course thats easy to say.

I would think if the scan shows nothing wrong wiht your heart, then you will be able to manage this ,

although long term an ablation may need to be considered if you cant control the afib with medication

Best of luck

• Posted

Thanks for that kindly advice. I just want to turn the clock back. A lovely sunny day but could not enjoy it. Seemed wrong my wife at work and me stuck here thinking of nothing else. I have had an episode like this many years ago but it was over in a day. This time it seems to be plagueing me. This is my 6th day. Not as strong now thanks to the 1 beta blocker daily, but I know I am not right yet.
  • Posted

Hi James. Im now 4 yrs into Paroxyml AF, 3 ablations, done the meds, off the meds, still get some episodes BUT after my heart MRI, was assured no structural issues, so big relief. Your new job is likely stressing you to some degree or other. Im fortunately in the stage where Ive stopped letting AF rule me, and Im able to just deal with it as a "bl**@y nuisance", but in truth, that took some time. What levels are your beats per min? For me now, up to 120, I just crack on -a bit slower n more breathless - but gently push on. Ive made a lit of foods into "no go" eg no booze for 3 yrs, no crisps or salty things, defo no soft drinks, watch sugar levels etc etc, and youll see lots of references by folks on this forum to dietary influences. Lots of advice, ideas and positive support on here. Stick with us. Try to chill about it if you can. 😊

• Posted

Hi. My beats before I was perscribed a beta blocker was at 147 at one point. Not as bad now. I think if I can convince my boss I will be ok at a less ectic pace. If my job is safe then my family is safe and that would be a great weight off my mind and I can get on with recovering. But until then it's all up in the air and I always think the worst. It's a bad time.

• Posted

Thats unpleasant when its up there for sure, and gets scary too. What do your meds manage to pull it down to?
    • Posted

James, thats a good med result! I wish mine had actually managed to do that. Please - take that as a positive. Even though you may still be in AF, that rate is defo workable. All of us need to grab these small ups - they help. One of the hardest things to do is get the mindset sorted. If you can start to grapple that, you'll see some hope.

• Posted

Hello James,

I know its a terrible shock when you first get diagnosed as afib - but please take a deep breath and calm down - the worst thing in the world you can do is streess out..

I was diagnosed with afib last July - I convinced myself I was a deaths door and would pop my clogs at any moment - but I was totally wrong James.  I had an Echo cardiogram which showed up nothing - no heart disease no heart failure. I was prescribed Bisoprolol and Apixoban. - and like many other sufferers on this site I AM STILL HERE.

You are in the right place  James, there are hundreds like us here, all with a different story to tell - Good advice and Empathy.

I know its scary, with your heart suddenly taking off. and you not being able to control it - but you have your medications now - things will get easier.  The Beta Blocker will keep your Heart Rate on an even keel, and the Blood thinner will do just that and prevent any clots forming, so your risk of heart attack and Stroke are now vastly reduced, 100's of times better than they were before.

It will take time for you to feel differently, but you will just give yourself time - calm your Wife, and calm yourself - the more you worry, the worse you will feel - says she who didn't go out of the house for 3 weeks after my attack, as I thought I was about to have another at any time.

Go and have your Scan - see what it says, chat over any issues with your Cardiologist, and ask all your questions.  I'm afraid I found, like many others on here, that the medics don't seem overly concerned, unless there are any real issues brought up by the scan you will be sent home with your medications, and told should you have another attack, then get yourself to hospital.  Although most sufferers on here will say ride it out., and only go to Hospital if you get pain with it.

So Calm yourself James, your medications will protect you - if you have another attack don't panic, keep yourself and your wife calm and if necessary get yourself off to Hospital.

There are lots of people on this site with afib - read what they have to say, read up about your condition so you know exactly what your dealing with - it will all help you to feel better about yourself- but don't stress.

Regards to you and your family.

Babs x 

• Posted

Thanks for your positive reply. I must admit my biggest worry at the moment is my welfare meeting with the boss. Hope he keeps me on. I feel I could manage as long as I manage my condition

• Posted

Hi James- I presume you are in Britian.  Are you employed on a casual basis? I don't know about the laws there but l don't know if you can be sacked without a statement from your doctor that you are unable to do your job anymore. Are you in a union or can you contact the ombudsman? I am 54  and have had paroxysmal AF for 4 years- when l first got it l would be in AF for 4 days- I would still go to work but would be very tired. Now with medication and avoiding my triggers ( alcohol, MSG and preservatives) I only get AF occasionally and usually for only an hour or two. I was very anxious at the start too- which everyone is. It is like grieving- you will get to acceptance and learn to deal with it. You shouldn't lose your job and you will be able to look after your family. Hang in there- you will be ok. Good luck in your journey James.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.