My Dizzy Unbalanced Nightmare.... Any Ideas???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Out of the blue nearly a year ago I was talking to a colleague at work and suddenly felt like I was going to fall over and had to grab part of the door frame to continue the conversation. It was a frightening experience and one that stayed with me on and off for quite a few months. I visited the doctors and they diagnosed With Vestbular Neuritis.I was given Stemitil to help with the dizziness and sent on my way. I continued every day with the same dizziness and found it almost impossible to hold a conversation with people as I felt I was unbalanced and was going to fall over. 

As son as I looked at a person and was talking to them directly it was a major issue. I had to be sitting down and even then it took all of my concerntration to stop myself from falling. Just sitting on a chair I felt like I was unbalanced and was constantly having to fight against it. It was becoming tiring just trying to get through the day. I went back to the doctors and they then said I had BPPV because of the way my eyes reacted to the doctor moving his finger. More medication for the more difficult moments but yet again it made no difference to how I felt. The dizziness and unbalanced feeling was now also now making inroads into my private life and going to Supermarkets was a complete nightmare and still are one year on. I havent stopped going to them but it really hasn't got any easier the feeling of falling or dizziness in the aisles is just awful. I can't go to a local museumn without the dizziness feeling taking over and ruining the day for myself and my wife. 

It seems now where ever I go there are issues,Hospitals,Supermarkets,Museums,Piers,shoppi ng centres,crematoriums,cinemas.etc etc etc I have the same feeling that Iam unbalanced,dizzy and feel like Iam going to fall. I have also now started to get some sort of myclonic jerks whilst sitting and awake but mostly these are when Iam tired. I also cannot watch some TV programmes because I feel like Iam experiencing everything I see.

I visited the doctor again Thursday and explained again my symptons and she decided I need to see a neurologist. She wasn't happy that I failed the romberg test by swaying to the right and she said I was struggling a little with walking straight with one foot in front of the other. I also was seeing double when she was moving her finger and Trying to focus.

Iam really hoping that the neurologist will be able to come up with some sort of diagnosis,the whole dizzy unbalanced feeling Iam getting is currently causing absolute havoc within in my life and the fatigue you get from just trying to get yourself through the day is only something that those who have had dizziness would fully understand.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

A quick update after my visit to the neurologist today. He thinks my condition may be caused by a,low grade migraine and has put me on 10mg of Amitriptyline before I go to bed at night. He has ordered a two part scan of the brain and vestibular system but he expects these to be normal. He spent a great deal of time noting my symptons but zeroed in on the occasional headache pain I get. My MRI is scheduled for this Saturday and results to follow. 
    • Posted

thanks for the update.  Do you get noticeable headached?  I don't but i do lately think that i have some kind of minor discomfort in my head around my ears and eyes, so not sure.  The consultant said i'm having silent migraines, so i am wondering if the amitrityline might help me also.  I will go back to my GP.
  • Posted

Good luck with the amitriptyline Adrian and I hope your MRI goes well.  I'm back on amitriptyline along with almotriptan.  It hasn't stopped my migraines but it helps me to sleep a bit better.  As every patient is different it may do the trick for you!
  • Posted

Veemae appreciate your comments thank you. I didn't realise I was Suffering from migraine to be fair but Iam hoping the neurologist knows his stuff. At this point iam  willing to try anything. 
  • Posted

Well had MRI today of brain and ears. Was not looking forward to it and the improvement  I have noted since being on Amitriptyline seemed to disappear today. The MRI was loud it was almost unbearable but got thorough it with gritted teeth. Came home rested up for a while and I have now got the worst vertigo and sickness feeling ever. Seems like I have gone back right to the start of it all again. Iam hoping these are just symptons of the MRI scan and will wear off very soon. 
    • Posted

Adrian,i had another MRI recently, and yes I do think it 'upsets' something in us as didn,t feel good afterwards for a few days either.  but I think that some of the movement stuff is so they can see how our brain reacts when that happens, so,hopefully it will show up,something.  also,some MRI,s are to rule things out, but my,last one I felt was more,looking at different things as they said  oh we are now doing the second view etc etc, as they went along.  I always take things easy if I can for those days afterwards, sleep a lot etc and nt too much aggravating movements that I know makes things worse. when I feel nausea I find anything with Campbor , or 

eucalyptus type smells really help me.  also flat coca  cola!!

• Posted

MRI vertigo is caused by interplay between the magnetic field and the salty fluid that fills labyrinth canals, the scientists believe.

The magnetic field is thought to push on the current of electrically charged particles circulating within the tubes. This in turn exerts a force on the cells which use the fluid's flow to detect motion.

The discovery has implications for MRI-based brain research, say the scientists.

They point out that the scanner could itself be inducing previously unnoticed brain activity related to movement and balance.

Researcher Dale Roberts, from Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, said: 'We've shown that even when you think there's nothing happening in the brain while volunteers are in the scanner, there's actually a lot happening because the MRI itself is causing some effect.

'These effects must be taken into account in the way we interpret functional imaging.'

The MRI effect on balance could in future be used to diagnose and treat inner ear disorders by stimulating the labyrinth, said the researchers.

Gillian if you google MRI Vertigo you can find the article by the daily mail.  Can't post the link in case it gets moderated.

• Posted

Thanks Anne I will,definitely have. Look at that very interesting.  also to you both, check,out  a. Book Called 'The. Brain that Changes Itself' by Norman Doidge.  got a link for the whole thing from someone on Faxeboook and saved it, butt can only send it via Messenger or email.  the first chapter covers balance and story of a patient with our problems, and a 'new' treatment t (was written on 2012), very interesting!!,
    • Posted

thanks Gillian, just had a look at the book on amazon and read some of it.   It's very interesting.  Happy Easter everyone.
  • Posted

Thanks Gillian for your support once again,it would make sense for them to test creation parts of the vestibular system maybe and I certainly feel as though I have had a workout to say the least. Feeling a little better now but still very edgy and jumpy  not expecting much sleep either tonight even though iam yawning as I type. Have a good rest of Easter.
  • Posted

Thanks Anne I hope you have ordered a set of those armbands iam sure they will look good :-) Never liked carrots or their colour to be fair an easy vegetable to blame. 

I was getting occassional headaches but was putting that down to stress,and I seem to have been a lot better since I have been taking amitriptyline I suppose it could be the placebo effect but time will tell.

really appreciate the article your posted reference dizziness and MRI made a lot of sense and helped me somewhat earlier this afternoon when I was very groggy.

My name has been spelt wrongly that many times even I do it now :-)

Iam 48 years old but feel ten years older sometimes. 

• Posted

Gillian thank you for the book reference, iam going to buy and read that on my iPad it has excellent reviews as well. Have a good Easter Sunday thanks adrian 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.