My doctor has stopped my arthritis tablets 'Diclofenic' as they have been withdrawn for over 50's what can I take?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can anyone recommend anything as my hands have become very painful as well as my knees.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My partner has OA in his hands and feet and has weekly methatrexate injections...he's now back playing golf!!
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply I was told by my doctor to buy Ibuprofen & she gave me a gel called Phorpain this has Ibuprofen in it.  It does help but washes off whenever I wash my hands & is not satisfactory.  I'm in my 70's I got the impression that the doctor is trying to keep costs down & was not willing to prescribe anything else.  I am not taking any other prescription drugs so therefore cannot be classed as an expensive patient. I've not heard of methatrexate injections but will go back to my doctor & ask about them. 
  • Posted

I did a quick search and found this that suggests something called naproxen might be a safer alternative. I don't know the first thing about it but maybe it's worth asking your doctor about?

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/news/general-news/2013/february/experts-call-for-diclofenac-to-be-withdrawn-due-to-heart-risks.aspx

• Posted

Didn't do much for me and you can't then take anything like ibuprofen at the same time......
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I was taken off Naproxen for some reason a few years ago - maybe too expensive for the surgery.
  • Posted

I'm not a doctor but my experience {which is all it is} is that I was on diclofenic and taken off it because it wasnt safe.  I've been put on Naproxen.....Everyone reacts differently to drugs so I'm not advising this just telling you what happened to me

What has your GP said......was it him took you off them.....you should have been offered something else.

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Crissy,  What Eileen says is totally correct regarding the Diclofenic. I do honestly think you should go back to see your Doctor and ask for a tablet to subdue your arthritic pain. If he has stopped the Diclofenic for a specific reason,  ask the reason.

Naproxen is a good substitute for pain but only comes by prescription. Do as I suggest Crissy, see the Doctor and keep yourself safe......................Ron.

• Posted

This has got a bit mixed up...original question was from liza!
  • Posted

Hi, I understand the severity of pain cause by OA as have it in my spine and throughout all my joints - widespread. You can try using voltarol gel to rub in to your joints which is a gel form of diclofenac. Naproxen is another prescription anti-inflamatory drug which again must be taken with food to avoid damage to your stomach. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Liza

If your GP prescribes anti inflammatories he should also prescribe a stomach protector like Omneprozol or lansoprozol,....some dont and you have to ask them

The othe thing is be careful of gels if you are already taking anti

inflammatories......I'm on the full dose of Naproxen and have been told not to use anti inflammatory gels as it acts as an overdose....there are other gels.....I admit Voltarol is good but I am not allowed to take it.

Let us know how you get on

Eileen

• Posted

Thank you, Eileen, for your advice I was not aware of the effect of anti inflammatories & gels, also that a protector is needed for the stomach. I do react to most prescribed drugs & cannot take steroids either because of Glaucoma.
    • Posted

Hi liza, I was diagnosed with degenerative joint disease/OA of spine 6 months ago age 44 it was a bit of a blow! - i just wanted to wholeheartedly agree with other comments - i would go back to your Doctor and discuss Naproxen. I couldnt take diclofenac orally it gave me horrendous tummy-ache. Naproxen though is ok, but i had to ask for lansoprazole though, most doc's dont give it automatically - but DO ask because all NSAIDs can cause ulcers. I take 30mg daily and its really helped - it means i can take Naproxen 1000mg per day for my back and its a godsend. Dont agree about voltarol/etc gels though - my Doc and pharmacist have both said as long as you dont use it like a body lotion! its perfectly ok to use voltarol gel in moderation alongside oral NSAIDs like naproxen and ibuprofen - the overdose in question is mainly about the effects on the stomach, and of course gels dont really count as regards your stomach. I use Voltarol on my shoulders knees and hands twiice a day and it helps a lot, alongisde the naproxen and codeine. I guess everyones different though. Best of luck whateveer you decide to do - and if your GP's less tha helpful, maybe consider changing GP ? 
    • Posted

Hi Christine

I'll re-check about the naproxen plus other anti inflammatories......I would love to be proved wrong in thisbiggrin......I found voltarol  excellent but thats before i was taking a full dose of naproxen.

Hope you are right

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Perhaps I should clarify that what my doctor and pharmacist both said was along the lines of 'technically the leaflet will tell you not to/guidelines warn against it'  - but that realistically, as long as you use a minimal amount, no more than when you really need it, you're never going to absorb enough diclofenac via a gel delivery to be dangerous or to interact in a serious way with other meds. My GP is brilliant because he is willing to give the 'common sense' facts not stick to the 'safe side please dont sue us!' warnings and overly cautious guidelines. And of course, I should point out that I am willing to try these things - i appreciate that lots of people are more cautious than me! 
    • Posted

Hi again

Its not the diclofenic that I take via gel.....I take the full dose...slow release naproxen.  I would love to be able to try voltarol again.....mostly on my lower back. I would probably only use that in the morning and at night and across my lower back....not all over.

We'll see what happens.

I usually try things unless they are contraindicated to my epilepsy tablets......have well controlled epilepsy.....more than 30 years since i had anything but still take meds for it.  No way do i want to change everything {like driving} by trying something that is contraindicated or MIGHT BE.....I know this has nothing to do with voltarol....sorry....I went off on a tangent lol

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Ah, I see - you're not just worried about interactions between anti-inflammatories, you're worried about the other meds you take. Im on depakote (Valproate) for bipolar, which is sometimes used for epilepsy too (used to be epilim) - again, havent found any problem, but i appreciate that may not be the anti-epileptic you are taking..

Voltarol contains diclofenac as the active ingredient, so if you're already taking diclofenac in tablet form, i can see how that might worry you - but Naproxen is a different drug from diclofenac, although theyre both anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs)... I would definitely ask your pharmacist as they are usually up on the latest thinking, and will be able to look up all the possible interactions between all your different meds, something the doctor may be reluctant to do in the 5 minutes you get to try and remember all your symptoms!

I wish there were more options for OA pain- i dont think people realise just how agonising it can be. There are times when I could happily top myself im in so much pain - sometimes i just dont know how ill get thru the night. 

But of course you must thoroughly check out the situation with regards to your epilepsy meds - but if theres no specific interaction between NSAIDs and your epilepsy tablets, id give voltarol another go, its a terrible shame not to be able to use something that gave you relief! Id never be parted from mine without a fight, I know that!lol

• Posted

Hi Christine

You will not have heard of my anti epilepsy tablets  biggrin

Epanutin {I think used to be before Epilem}rolleyes and mysoline...they are ancient but do the job.  Every new doc i see....nothing to do with the epilepsy, notice the drugs and say......no one is taking those anymore!!! In fact its mono therapy now.....we'll change them.  I just look at them and say "We wont change them"   why? "If its not broke dont fix it"  biggrin

My last seizure was during pregnancy and my youngest is 33 years old.

I had forgotton that voltarol was diclofenic but i was taken off diclofenic a couple of years ago and changed to naproxen {supposed to be safer}

I will definately check it out.

I doubt if it will be tomorrow.....morning.....I'm at physio....loads of exercises ...I had a 2nd THR13 weeks ago and then 4 weeks into recovery {9 weeks ago} had a fracture doing one of their exercises!!!!!

They say nothing they can do to sort it...it will heal itself but will take a long long time!!!! Whatever a long long time isfrown  I'm getting sick....on 2 crutches most of the time and cant got more than about 20 mins on those!!!!  OA was bad like you say, scoliosis as well but now this and the "not knowing" is whats driving me crackers.

So physio tomorrow morning and then early afternoon a different hospital for a DEXA scan....{Osteoporosis????}

The following day I'll check it

Love

Eileen

• Posted

You got a fracture doing one of their exercises!? Thats terrible - it makes you wonder, the amount they go on  about exercise. Every time I do the exercises Ive been given i am in total agony for days afterwards. I cant tell whether its just me being a wimp and that its sposed to hurt like that, or if ive done myself a mischief!

Good luck with your scan - Ive been doing a lot of reading up on Vitamin D deficiency - with my bipolar i get long, long severe depressions where i simply dont leave the house for up to 2 years at at a time so get no sunshine whatsoever. Ive just found out that bone pain, muscle weakness and fragile bones are symptoms of Vitamine D deficiency and that doctors hardly ever think of this possibility. Its also implicated in osteoporosis! Ive started taking a high dose supplement just in case and will be asking my GP to do a blood test in 3 weeks time, when i see him to get the results of my CT scan that I had done today. Ive been chatting on this site to a retired GP who says most british people are probably not getting enough vitamin D because the UK just doesnt get enough sunshine throughout the year...Hope yhour fracture heals as soon as is possible and that you start feeling better. Take good care of yourself x

• Posted

Hi Christine.

To be fair I dont think it was the exercises I think its osteoporosis

Even though I only managed to get a scan yesterday my GP started me of meds about 2 weeks ago assuming it was.

We dont get enough sunshine here....one of the gP's in the practice laughed and said you need to go and live in Cyprus or Australia.....or somewhere hot LOL

It will be 6 weeks before my GP gets the results of the scan but I think she is treating it as osteoporosis from now.

I had a physio appointment in the morning yesterday and like you say....I'm sore after all the exercises.

Bipolar must be awful if it leads to such dark depression.....I can imagine what depression is.....some people say they can but they cant. I was seeing a psychologist about 18 months ago because i was diagnosed with depression but it was mild depression.  There were days I wouldnt go out.  That mild depression gives me an idea what full blown depression must be like

I had never thought of lack of Vit D causing pain {all my arthritis etc} osteoporosis yes.   My GP had already started me on Vit D meds but they are prescribed ones and I have to take one 3 days a week for 8 weeks then I noticed on my prescription there are others prescribed but not to be taken until I finish this course of Vitiuamin D

Thanks for your reply

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Wouldnt that be wonderful - to move somewhere warm and quiet and peaceful. We can dream!

Funny coincidence - I had a CT scan yesterday, I had completely forgotten about it and only remembered t the last minute (its all these damn pills im like a zombie half the time!)

From what Ive been reading british GP's dont usually prescribe anywhere near high enough doses of Vit D. Theres a brilliant website called The Vitamin D Council (its American, but not full of adverts or nonsense!) - its got lots of good clear info. I plan to go armed with the facts when I talk to my GP. He's lovely, I know I can always discuss everything and he takes me seriously. Just wish I had found him sooner! Apart from anything else I might have got my bipolar diagnosed sooner. Its derailed my life, really over the years - but then, I have had plenty of mad colourful wild experiences too when I am high! No point crying over spilt milk - my focus now is trying to make sure my son doesnt inherit bipolar. Thankfully he's a good lad, he is 20 and at University now, so i must have got something right (Deo Gracias)

All the best for your test results, sounds like you have had a lot to cope with lately - hope things improve soon. x

• Posted

Hi Christine

Yes it would be so wonderful to move somewhere  warm...especially if the NHS paid for itbiggrin

How long will it be before you know the results of your scan...it will be 6 weeks before my GP gets mineeek

No I get the impression that they arent very keen to prescribe Vitamin D....My GP {whenI asked for a test} said OK and then laughed and said you know there is quite a contreversy about Vitamin D at the moment.cry

You've got the right attitude about your bi polar.....I'm trying to be more positive about this fracture........I can cope with my osteoarthritis, with all the aids I need, and my kyphoscoliosis but this fracture is an unknown factor.....weill take a long long time to heal.....nearly 10 weeks noweek

I'm trying to be more positive about that the same as I am with my OA and scoliosis.

Your son seems a good lad....I've got 2 children ...girl 33 not married and a lad of 35 married with a little girl

Love

Eileen

• Posted

They've said results shoud be sent to my GP within a fortnight - but thats cos Im lucky enough to live 5 mins away from one of the best Orthapaedic hospitals in the country, which is weird really cos I live right in the sticks! So Im on pins now waiting to hear. Doc originally said the bone masses on the Xray were definitely just osteophytes, where the joints were 'trying' to heal by growing more bone, and said it wasnt necessary to do any more scans etc. Now, out of the blue, he has suddenly ordered an urgent CT scan.... I hadnt seen him recently, either, so Im wondered what prompted him to suddenly review my case again and why the scan had to be urgent! So, suffice to say - im expecting bad news. That way, if its good news itll be a nice surprise - but if it is bad news, i shall be prepared!

Ten weeks waiting to heal?!?! - are you in plaster? Hope weather doesnt get too hot til the cast/bandages come off!

How lovely to have a granddaughter - I cant wait. I love babies, I loved it when my son was little, if I could have pressed 'pause' when he was about 3 and kept him that age forever I would have done it!!! I bet your sons little girl keeps you positive? its hard to stay down around little ones, isnt it. smile

• Posted

Hi Christine

I can imagine how worried you are......what is it....hope for the best but prepare for the worse??I think thats the saying

Ten weeks yes......and no...no bandages no plaster no nothingsad

Because the fracture is at the top of my hip they couldnt do anything.

I was told what had happened then they said...nothing we can do about it  it will heal itself buit it will take a long long time and you'll be left with a "dip"sad  What on earth is a long long time????? Thats whats getting me....not knowing.!!!Its been a long long time now as far as I'm concerned but no change. and I dont see the orthopaedic consultant until the middle of June.  He has seen me once since it happened, seen the physio once and then was sent to a physio assistant for exercisese.......thats been it.....she can just do exercises with me......cant really answer any questions.

As for my grandchild.....dont see a lot of her to be honest.....they live about 20 miles away and my DIL's mother lives in the next street.

Oh well never mind.....must go now....its 7.30am better start getting washed dressed etc.....it a horrible day looking out the window.....pouring with rain.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

yes indeed - the worry really takes it out of you, i think it adds to the pain as well.

I reallly hope it heals soon! cos I dont imagine physios are much good at giving medical info! mine does it all on the phone now, i cant even get to see them! Imagine that - physiotherapy telephone service its called. whatever next!

Sorry to hear you dont see the little one so much. its not fair really if her other nanna sees her all the time - i worry about that, with having just one son - the mother's family usually get more involvement. You need to nag that lad of yours to bring her over!! but its hard i know - you dont want to bother them.

Yep, nasty weather here too in rural shropshire. Tho actually yesterday was so muggy and close, i dont know which is worse. Like you say, if only the NHS would pay for a move to a secluded cottage on the beach someplace! Right now Id even settle for Rhyl!

Take care of yourself, and best of luck for that consultant appt in June x

• Posted

Hi Christine

I'm trying so hard to be positive and see the good in little things but its not always working.cry

Physio on the phone   never heard of that before biggrin  The physio assistant can give me exercises but any questions i ask she has to go and find the acual physio who deals with me to ask him??

I'm seeing him in a couple of weeks time so I have a load of questions I want to ask him

Yes...this is my son....I do have a daughter 16 months younger than him but she is not married.  As you say the daughters family are always closer ...I can imagine that I would be much closer to a grandchild if Sarah had one.......... Heaven forbid!!!!!!! Dont want her being a single mother.

I dont know whether I said or not...I'm in the North East

The physio appointment comes before the consultant one so he might be a help although he would wrap me in cotton wool....saying you have had 2 hip replaements and 1 fracture so you should stick to the hip rules for the rest of your lifeeek  Dont bend dont twist sleep on your back etc.

My consultant says do what your body tells you to....if it hurts stop or dont do it again ...I prefer his advice  LOL

Love

Eileen

• Posted

I prefer your consultants advice too...... Just sounds like pure common sense to me! you know your body best

yep I couldnt believe it when my GP handed me a piece of paper saying I am referring you for physio - they'll give you a ring!! And thats what happend, a ten minute talk on the phone me describing the pain what hurts what doesnt hurt (not much!) - then she posted me some printouts showing some exercises and recommended a DVD called (wait for it...!) 'Move it or Lose it'!!!!! that you can do sitting down - when i had just told her sitting hurts as much as standing...

Personallly these days I could happily give anyone who tells me to 'be positive' a smart kick in the shin. Nobody wants to be downhearted - but unless you are in constant pain, you cant possiblly understand.

Ah well time to 'try' and sleep i guess (these days i get up and out of bed at about 5am just to get some rest! nights are appalling.)

Think we have taken ovver poor liza6's discussion here! - but please private message me anytime you fancy a chat Eileen. I think you do it by clicking on the little grey envelope underneath the name on the left.

All the best x

• Posted

LIZA

I'm sorry...without realising it Christine and i have hi-jacked your thread.

You start again if you want to.....we have gone off that thread....unless you need an answer

Love

Eileen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.