My drink problem and constant fear of losing my job

Posted , 11 users are following.

Since retraining as an accountant I have felt the stress to be unbearable.

In my first role the training was none existent but because I had never worked for a firm before I assumed this was normal. I'd spend ages trying to figure out things for myself as whenever I asked me boss for help he simply wasn't interested. At my 6 month review things were all fine, then at 9 months they said I wasn't progressing well enough and sacked me, just before Christmas.

Snapped up a new job at a different firm and things seemed great for the first five months. I planned to move closer to the job and asked boss before committing to solicitor costs was he happy with my work as it was just before my six month probation. Said he was happy with my work. Three weeks later said I was still a bit slow so extending a further six months.

My dog died in October and I struggled around that time. Obviously work wasn't as good as usual but I worked in my own time so as to not go over budgets. Well even before then I was petrified of going over budget in case it put my job at risk do worked lunches and breaks most the time. Also kept head down and didn't chat much for fear of getting in trouble.

At December review day before Christmas party they said work hadn't been consistent and I should have left my problems at home. Extending 3 more minths.

At Christmas party I spoke to a girl from the other team and she said exactly the same thing was being done to her. All the things they kept saying we're generic reasons but our work quality could not be disputed.

Things got worse for the girl, she had done all her accounts exams but never done accounts prep before. But they took her on at a high salary when she had never done the job. They were blaming her for this, saying she wasn't good enough and bullying her.

I made silly mistake of emailing HR to say I felt we were being treated unfairly yet we worked so so hard and our work was good.

Three or so weeks later they sacked me. Two weeks after she was next.

I was unemployed two and half months and then got a job at an accountancy company - slightly diff to working in a firm. I was petrified starting. I'm still there and the stress and fear of being sacked is horrible. As I don't drive it takes 2 hours each way to get there and I work a solid 9 hours and no break as the work load is ridiculous. Every night as soon as I leave I rush to go to get wine and drink it very fast. I know this makes it worse but what with the stress and exhaustion, I guess it just want to blot it all out.

Are there any accountants out there - is this normal to feel like this is business these days? In which case I need a new plan. Or is it perfectly understandable that my drinking is progressively getting worse if I feel constantly under pressure and always have the fear of losing my job again which ultimately means I could lose my home, everything.

Thank you loads x

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Emma. I had a very bad relationship with alcohol about 5 years ago. I'm 43 now and nearly lost everything.  I promised my family that I would do something about it and went to AA, the kind & caring people there gave me a strength that I could not of got from any drug or counselling service. Once you quit the booze, you regain your emotional strength and I bet you would know exactly what to do about your job. When we drink, we are weak, tired and vulnerable. Once I got stronger, all aspects of my life clicked back into place and I bet yours would too. All the best x

• Posted

It's gone from worst to worse. As I drank loads as was so stressed last night I must have smelt of alcohol. Sent home.

I guess the sack on Monday ??

• Posted

Sorry about the news, but it may be a blessing in disguise. Get the best local job you can find, then see if you can build a bookkeeping biz or the like, get some continuing education on accounting, maybe even try to specialize. 

The only other thing I can think of is (if you'll be returning) to find someone there that's doing ok and ask them for some tips, they might know which imperatives need to be attended to and which can go on the back burner. 

Getting the drink under control is paramount though. The side effects of Selincro usually fade after a week or so. If there's some way you can get Naltrexone instead, you generally start that on half a pill then work up to a full pill. The side effects of Naltrexone are usually milder to boot. 

This might be a good time to check out some temporary agencies too. Over here, we've actually got one called Accountants Overload. 

• Posted

Understood. 

Well, I hope this turns out to have a silver lining. Don't break down, break out!

• Posted

I've just joined, Emma and read your thread. 

I am afraid I also handle stress really badly. Hope you managed to sort things out with work. I am so sorry you were made to feel like that. Please let me knnow how you got on ? 

• Posted

Hi Emma, I've just joined and read your thread. I am so sorry to read the problems you are having and I can really relate to your problems. I don't handle stress very well and drink far too much and it gets me into alot of trouble. I hope that things worked out for you with the work situation. Please let me know how things went?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.