My experience of coming off sertraline

Posted , 240 users are following.

I have found this site very helpful during the period that I was taking sertraline and felt I should share my experiences of coming off the drug, in the hope that they may be of help to others.

I was diagnosed with depression last year and have been on 200mg of sertraline for approx 10 months. I also had some therapy during this period and recently took the decision (with my doctor's support) to come off the medication. Wary of repeating the experiences some other posters on this site have had I resolved to reduce my dosage gradually over a period of about a month (more gradually than suggested by my doctor).

Each week I reduced the dosage by 50mg a day. So week one I went down to 150mg a day, week 2 100mg a day etc. The first two weeks were fine with no real changes. By the end of week 3 I began to feel a bit light headed, with hot sweats and dry-mouth also returning. As a result I remained on this dose another week instead of stopping altogether in week 4.

I have now been 5 days with no sertraline and have found the experience of quitting surprisingly easy. I still feel a little light-headed now and again, but other side effects I suffered during the full dose (yawning, tiredness, sexual dysfunction) have all but gone, and although I kind of miss the 'wrapped in cotton wool' feeling I am glad to be back to life without medication.

For what its worth I would suggest that gradual reduction of dosage is the most effective way to avoid the worse of the side-effects experienced when coming off sertraline and that the good news (for me anyway) has been the speed at which the side-effects disappeared.

31 likes, 450 replies

450 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everybody.

I was hoping for some advice regarding coming off sertraline. I have only been on 50mg per day for 2 months, which my doctor put me on for mild depression. I can't say I have noticed much difference in myself,

probably too soon. The problem has been I get palpitations sometimes (could be because I am currently

going through the menopause) and when a bad episode meant a visit to A&E the doctor suggested I discuss with my GP if I really do need to be on sertraline as it can cause palpitations itself.

My GP said to stop the tablet and see how I go. I asked if I would get any side effects by just stopping straight off and she said I might feel a little "woozy" but it won't last long.

I was wondering if anybody has stopped this abruptly on this dose and if it is a god idea.

Many thanks for your help.

• Posted

Hi Alison33,

Your GP should not have recommended you to do that. I can see why they advised it due to your palpitations but stopping abruptly you will experience dizziness, brain like electric shock sensation, tiredness and

agitation. I have stopped it before and felt awful, they should be tapering you off. You may still get some side effects but you don't want this to affect your mental well-being. If they advise you to stop, they should be able to give you an alternative to help with this. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks Jay. They are getting less intense/freequent, so must be almost there now! smile
  • Posted

Many thanks for your reply Jay. Did you do 50mg every other day before stopping altogether? I could possibly do that, I shall check with my doctor or pharmacist.
  • Posted

Hi ClaraD, your welcome. Your almost there. Take it easy though smile

• Posted

Hi Alison33,

I went from 100mg to 50mg for two weeks and then just 50mg every other day for two weeks. You could do that or even halve your tablets to 25mg for two weeks.

• Posted

It is strongly advised not to havle tablets to taper, instead gradually reduce your dose and once you have reached 50mg per day, reduce further by taking one every other day / few days. The tablets are NOT designed to be split, the ingredients are not guranteed to be in equal proportion when you havle a 50mg tablet.

I have been on sertaline more than once and have tried both methods of stopping. Cold turkey is not the way to go. Take as long as you like to taper, the brain shocks are awful but ease with time. 

Cold turkey side effects for me included dull head, unable to think clearly due to brain fog and feeling constantly dehydrated. I found pain relief helped with these. Also agitation, getting annoyed at the slightest thing. I guess because not much bothers whilst on sertaline it is an adjustment to have to be tolorent when coming off. I explained to people (my family) how I was feeling and that it would pass, I asked them not to be offened if I was a little short at times. Better still, avoid the people who annoy you the most, (just for a while). smile

Sertaline is a great drug, a real help to me.

If you are thinking of trying for a baby you dont really want to be on this drug due to the risks involved. The doctor will advise you to continue taking it only if the risk of stopping poses a greater risk than the potential risk to your unborn child. Speak to a doctor about your circumstances. I stopped taking the tablets before trying to concieve and when I didn't get pregnant and was off them for a year, it really took it's toll. I later realised that I should tapered off during the first few months of pregnancy as the risks involved only really coming into play during the later months of pregnancy, this means of you need to return to them the down time is less. Something to consider but again, speak to your doctor regarding your own personal circumstances, everyone is different. I also tried an alternative drug, one less hazardous during pregnancy but it left me with no motivation to do anything at all.

Good luck, you're not alone. 

• Posted

Thanks again Jay. I just spoke to my pharmacist who said I shouldn't stop abruptly too. He understandably didn't want to advise what to do but I'm going to break a tablet in half to take 25mg every other day and speak to my doctor.

Thanks so much for your help. It's very reassuring to be able to chat to people like yourself who have been in the same situation.

• Posted

Hi Alison33,

No worries, anytime. I am glad you sought advice from a pharmacist, and they advised you properly. You know what's right for you. Take care of yourself smile

• Posted

Hello I am glad to have come across this forum because I currently am struggling with coming off of sertraline I've been on numerous anti-depressants/anxiety meds over the last few years and this is one of the more

difficult ones yet. I rate Cymbalta being possibly the tie for first. I have been taking sertraline 100 mg for

several months now and have become washed out and emotionless from it. Not to mention fluctuation in

weight. I discussed with my doctor to wean off completely. She told me to start with going down to 50mg for 3 weeks then split in half to 25 for 3 weeks and be done. I ended up doing a month of 50mg and recently started my 25mg. Going to 50mg was painful! Headaches galor and brain zaps not to mention feeling like my body was in shock from missing that extra dose. I was so tired all the time and motivation out the window. It somewhat decreased. Now starting this 25mg I've been sick and the first two days felt like I was out of my of my

mind. I have weakness and am in that feeling in the clouds mode. Not to mention a touch of anxiousness

returning and heart palpitations that come and go. Hard to concentrate at work and I'm hoping it passes soon because I want to feel normal. I'm rather afraid of what will happen when I'm done with it all together.

• Posted

Hi Ashmarie,

To be honest I would strongly advise you to get straight back to your GP as soon as. If you struggle, they can give you something else to help wean you off the tablets. This could involve using a different tablet to taper you off or going back up to 100mg for a few weeksdand then gradually wean you off with something different. I can see what you mean by the anxiousness, I have been getting that a great deal lately and genuinely do not suffer with this, my GP put me on Propanolol which is a beta-blocker and it's only been a few days and it's not too bad. I have been off them for almost 6 weeks now but after 2 years on them, it's taken a while to adjust.

If your side effects are bad physically and its playing with your emotions then definitely get to your GP today and don't leave until they explore different avenues with you. I had some of the physical effects what you had and it lasted almost 3 weeks. The emotions are getting there slowly. Just think, you were on 100mg for a few years and it's been a few weeks for your body to adjust not taking that extra dose, don't give yourself a hard time, your brain is working overtime searching for the tablet, it will wear you out at times but but don't suffer with it, your mental health is vital. I really understand where your coming from because you are not sure what sort of person you are without them, but go to your GP and talk to your family and friends as support is great and what we need at this time. Good luck smile

• Posted

I have been on sertraline 150 mg/day for 4 years now. I have decided to come off it and cut back on one tablet now for 2 weeks. I have had so far noticed no symptoms of anything. I do know however, or that it seems, that my overall general mood is pretty good. I am planning on cutting back on one more of these pills. My doctor doesn't know I'm doing this. I will tell him when I see him, and I know he won't be happy with my doing this without his consult, however, I have come to the conclusion that I alone am able to tell if anything is amiss. If things change, then I will go back on it.

• Posted

Hi everybody. It has been a while since I put a post on here. I have now come off the sertraline. I was only on 50mg per day for 3 months when after a nasty palpitation episode and a visit to A&E, where the doctor said

sertraline can cause palpitations, I decided to get off them. My GP put me on them when she felt I was mildly depressed (it turned out to be all menopausal symptoms in the end). My GP said to just stop the tablet which turned out to be bad advice as I felt horrid - anxious and agitated. After that I gradually weaned myself off by having half a tablet a day for a month, then half a tablet every other day for 2 weeks, then virtually a quarter

of a tablet every 4 days for 2 weeks, then stopped altogether. I think I had a few brain zaps but nothing too

bad at all really. I know I wasn't on the tablet very long, and it probably makes a difference, but I did feel

coming off them at that speed worked well.

• Posted

Your situation is very similar to mine. I stopped pretty much cold turkey and feel awful. How long were you off the sertraline before you got back on to slowly wean?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.