My experience: Right foot bunionectomy May 12/17, what can I expect from here?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, so I had a rt foot bunionectomy on May 12/17 - no idea which procedure but it was mild-moderate bunion and only needed two screws. smile  Had it done via local - which I would totally do again! 

The day of post-op was wonderful. I couldn't feel a thing. I was in great spirits and could walk around. I was a good girl though and did rest after getting some food into me.  When the freezing came out, and the intial meds wore off ... well ... it was freakin painful. There were two occassions that I thought I was going to pass out in the bathroom from shock.  Luckily, I was able to slink to the floor and regain my composure and then get up and back to bed. There was no sleep that night despite taking a T3.  My doctor was amazing as he called me the next afternoon to see how I was doing! 

Days 2-5: Doctor called on 2nd day post op as well to check in on me. As long as I keep my foot up, and ice it, it is fine. Don't get me wrong. It still hurt. Burning sensations, shooting pains, feeling of numbness, and just red hot pain. The moment I hobble, with crutches, to the bathroom, the foot feels like it is going to explode. I seriously have to grab it and hold it in the air. I cannot wait for this to stop! I took the T3's sparingly but caved in at night as the pain seemed to be worse when I tried to sleep. I manually moved my toes around and can move them, slightly, on their own. I have also been trying to do ankle circles. I am basically off the pain meds. 

Today is day 6.  First post-op appointment is tomorrow, May 18 to have the bandages changed - not sure if they remove them or just change them. It will be super interesting to see what the foot looks like. The part of my foot that is not under bandages and my ankle, is a mixture green, yellow and purple discolouration. The bandage is purple so not sure how much the skin is taking from that hue.  I tried yesterday to put the walking shoe on and take a few steps. I paid for that. Guessing it is too soon for that - at least for me.  I can get around on the crutches much better now but can't wait to get rid of them. I was hoping to be able to walk into the doctors office with the shoe thing and no crutches tomorrow but I don't think that is going to happen. 

When have other's started to weightbear and walk with crutches? 

When does the feeling of your 'foot exploding' stop? 

Helpful tips from here on in with pain, swelling, mobility etc? 

Thank you and hoping everyone is doing okay! 

Edie

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Edie - to be honest you've a bit to go before you should be weight bearing - I'd follow advice from doctor but I wasn't weightbearing for six weeks on advice from hospital and then still on crutches and boot for longer than that.      The exploding foot sensation goes gradually just keep foot elevated whenever you can.  I had op end of January and still have swollen feet if on feet too long and get shooting pains.  I'm still in trainers.  It has been a much bigger operation than I thought and you have to be patient.....

• Posted

Hi JaneG! Thank you so much for replying. I really wasn't sure if people frequent this forum.  It is reassuring that others do! I hear what you are saying. I just feel so unstable on the crutches.  

Admittedly, I did toss the crutches this morning and have used the shoe thing. I didn't do alot of walking but enough that I felt some independence.

And now, some pain.  sad      

I will take it easy for the rest of the night and definitely for tomorrow.  

Keep in touch! 

• Posted

I had surgery yesterday and still have the numbing block in. I'm so scared about the numbing coming out.

• Posted

Hey Juliem2017! 

Was just there a few days back. I totally get it! Take the advice of elevate the foot, and ice it! I truly have done that. It makes it hard to sleep for sure (I am a stomach sleeper so I have had to make some adjustments), and take the meds as you see fit. 

I am here for you ! 

• Posted

Thank you so much! Since I don't feel pain yet, I haven't iced. I have on the surgical shoe so what is the best way to ice the area?

• Posted

Admittedly, I tossed the shoe the moment I hit the bed and used three pillows to elevate the foot. I iced right away.  As soon as you feel the begining of any pain, I would ice immediately.  I used  - and still use gel packs.  I iced the top of the ankle and also underneath the ankle, including the heal.  I often have to move the ice pack to the toes as they get pretty hot as well.  smile 

If you run out of ice packs/gel packs/ frozen corn or peas work just as well! 

smile 

• Posted

You're awesome and so helpful! Thank you and bless you 😊

• Posted

I can't offer any help, but I can offer support! I had a lapidus and osteotomy yesterday.

that foot exploding thing is $@sad?!#%?! I know this will be  a distant memory soon, and we'll be back on our feet!

Julie make sure you stay ahead of the pain. 

• Posted

Hi Laura04277! 

How are you doing? I am doing better today for sure. First post op appt tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes! 

Cheers 

• Posted

Thank you so much! My doctor said to take pain meds when I first notice tingling from the numbing coming out. I had surgery at 2:00 yesterday and he said block should last 2 days so I may go ahead and take meds in late morning.
    • Posted

I would totally listen to your doc's advice and not try to 'tough it out'. I did try to tough it out at day 2 but my body took over and convinced me otherwise! I am no longer taking meds other than ibruprofen.  And, I am listening to my body.  smile 

• Posted

Hi Julie - how are you?  Your foot will be 'defrosted' by now.  Hope all ok.

jane

• Posted

Hi JaneG, I am still numb for the most part. Pain has not set in yet. I've been taking one oxycodone every 4 hours since 10:45 est this morning (I'm in North Carolina). I guess I'm extremely lucky but still waiting for the numbing to come out. Was just going to google how long a numbing block usually stays in. My doctor did say and I confirmed with my husband that he said he put enough numbing meds in for two days but my surgery was over at 3pm Wednesday. I called dr office this morning to ask if I should go ahead and begin oxycodone and they suggested yes, so I did. I can feel a little more but no pain yet. Thank you for checking in on me. Will post again soon.

• Posted

Also I've been keeping it elevated really well since we got home from surgery...maybe that's helping a lot.

• Posted

I had my husband draw a face and I nick named it! Helps me find some ..... 
    • Posted

I kind of can't believe it, but I've not had major pain at all. I've kept my foot elevated and kept oxycodone every 4 hours since yesterday, even during the night. I paged my doctor before lunch today who called me back, and I asked if it still had numbing in it because I wasn't in the pain I expected. He said he often gets calls like mine where patients wonder why no pain. He said I did good at listening to statingoff my foot and keeping it elevated and keeping meds consistent and that numbing would have been gone by yesterday and I was just doing really well. I'm so glad to share a good report. Really such a blessing because I had imagined and prepared for the worst. My post op is may 30th. I've stayed off of it and home since surgery on Wednesday and now spreading oxycodone out every 8 hours. 😊👍🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.