My experience: Right foot bunionectomy May 12/17, what can I expect from here?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, so I had a rt foot bunionectomy on May 12/17 - no idea which procedure but it was mild-moderate bunion and only needed two screws. smile  Had it done via local - which I would totally do again! 

The day of post-op was wonderful. I couldn't feel a thing. I was in great spirits and could walk around. I was a good girl though and did rest after getting some food into me.  When the freezing came out, and the intial meds wore off ... well ... it was freakin painful. There were two occassions that I thought I was going to pass out in the bathroom from shock.  Luckily, I was able to slink to the floor and regain my composure and then get up and back to bed. There was no sleep that night despite taking a T3.  My doctor was amazing as he called me the next afternoon to see how I was doing! 

Days 2-5: Doctor called on 2nd day post op as well to check in on me. As long as I keep my foot up, and ice it, it is fine. Don't get me wrong. It still hurt. Burning sensations, shooting pains, feeling of numbness, and just red hot pain. The moment I hobble, with crutches, to the bathroom, the foot feels like it is going to explode. I seriously have to grab it and hold it in the air. I cannot wait for this to stop! I took the T3's sparingly but caved in at night as the pain seemed to be worse when I tried to sleep. I manually moved my toes around and can move them, slightly, on their own. I have also been trying to do ankle circles. I am basically off the pain meds. 

Today is day 6.  First post-op appointment is tomorrow, May 18 to have the bandages changed - not sure if they remove them or just change them. It will be super interesting to see what the foot looks like. The part of my foot that is not under bandages and my ankle, is a mixture green, yellow and purple discolouration. The bandage is purple so not sure how much the skin is taking from that hue.  I tried yesterday to put the walking shoe on and take a few steps. I paid for that. Guessing it is too soon for that - at least for me.  I can get around on the crutches much better now but can't wait to get rid of them. I was hoping to be able to walk into the doctors office with the shoe thing and no crutches tomorrow but I don't think that is going to happen. 

When have other's started to weightbear and walk with crutches? 

When does the feeling of your 'foot exploding' stop? 

Helpful tips from here on in with pain, swelling, mobility etc? 

Thank you and hoping everyone is doing okay! 

Edie

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I will sleep better tonight! Trying to cut out the Percocet! I find that ibuprofen is pretty effective! I have a hard time icing because I have a hard ace like bandage on. I should have taken a digestive aide right away if you know what i mean. I should be 10 pounds lighter tomorrow smile  

thanks for for your support! As my mother always says, "this too shall pass"!

Julie when that tingling starts to occur don't delay with the pain meds! I know it's scary! I just keep telling myself tomorrow will be better etc. and I try to keep myself distracted. Even if it means reading all night or a movie if you can't get comfortable. 

• Posted

OH well that makes sense. I did cut out the T3's but I may need to take one tonight - will see how I feel once I lay down for the night.  I did also accept some help from other sources that prevented constipation. I found it hard enough just to sit and try to pee ... the last thing I wanted was to sit and ... well ... strain!  So humbly ... all of this hey?  

• Posted

Hi - I've found this forum to be great.  It was such a relief to see everyone was going through the same and it wasn't just me!!  I think the one thing to remember is it's a major op and will take time.  Don't try to rush recovery - and if you need painkillers take them!! 

X

• Posted

I had my surgery on May 12th. I also had a hammer toe corrected and a pin left in for stabilization. I though I would be numb for 12 hours and to say the least I wasn't. My Dr did tell me as soon as I got my script filled to take one and I did but it don't help. When I got home I put my foot up and iced it but within 2 hours I had feeling back and let me tell you the throbbing was the worst. I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong. After crying (sounds so bad) and a lot of trial and error we figured out that I didn't have it elevated high enough, and during all this my husband is like take another pill lol. So once that crisis was avoided I slept a lot. My Dr did say that I could put weight on my foot, while in the boot, only to go to the restroom and I'm not going to lie the first 2 days I tried to hold it because it hurts every time you get up. By Sunday I was feeling a little better so I tried a bath and that went ok. I rested my right foot on the side of the tub while bathing and washing my hair I moved my foot to the shower wall and braced it. Then when I was done I made sure to dry The right side of my body first and did it while sitting on The side of the tub. I do recommend the first couple times you are doing this make sure someone is home that can help you just in case. Monday I went and saw the Dr and he removed my bandage and took xrays and omg you can't wear the boot for the fray and I only had to go 4 steps but I told my husband that I will not walk without the boot until the Dr says I can. It was painful. I also noticed that I have burning and my toes twitch and that is so painful because it isn't something you can make stop. Another thing I noticed was I was having server heart burn. The kind that makes you nauseas, stomach pain and burning in the back of the throat. I would love to know if anyone else has experienced this. I went to my Dr today to get the stiches out and he said no and I'm really frustrated, anyone else have this happen. But honestly for the first week elevation and ice are your best friend. I noticed sleeping in the recliner is better than the bed. Just put blankets or pillows under your foot and I iced mine non stop for the first 48 hours and every couple hours after that or when it would start to ache.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen09956.

May 12 was also my surgery date. Had first change of dressings yesterday (one week post op). Am being told stitches will come out at week 2 - so next week.  I still have to elevate the foot (above the heart) and ice it although not nearly as much as the first few days. No heartburn or other issues for me  smile    It is a slow recovery for sure. Each day I feel and see improvement so that is encouraging. 

• Posted

Edie,

I'm so glad that everything is going well. I was thinking all day today and I think that I may be wanting too move around to much. Do you have aching at night worse than the day?. I am seriously going stir crazy. I have 3 kids and they fix their own sandwiches and things and hubby makes dinner but I'm just going crazy. I have been watching movies and shows and playing on the computer but I still feel like I'm going crazy. Anyone have ideas?

• Posted

So, I had my first post op appt yesterday.  Hobbled in wearing my shoe bootie thing - no crutches! It went well. It felt SOOOOOOO good to have the bandage removed. Got to see the foot 'naked'. I was surprised at the length of the incision and the spacing of the stitches. The incision is close to 3 inches long and the stitches are rather far apart; probably about 12 stitches. Anyways, it wasn't unwrapped for long though. The doc rewrapped it and said it looked good. Stitches will come out next week at week 2 post op.  smile   Still some throbbing but not nearly as bad as it was. It is tolerable now. 

• Posted

Glad to hear the postoperative went well! I am doing ok. No more drugs etc. I have fallen three times trying to got to fast! Fortunately nothing serious! At least no bleeding that I can see! I am trying to be a good patient! And to think I still have 7 more weeks of no weight bearing! I have always been very active so it is hard for me not to move! My first postoperative is Thursday. I don't want to be scolded! I hope your second postoperative goes well! Keep me posted!

• Posted

Hi Laura, 9 days post up and doing pretty good now. Still have to elevate and ice often but no more pounding pain. No drugs either except for the odd ibruprofin. I am walking in the shoe thing all the time. I know I over due it a bit cause the foot throbs when I stop moving (lol). I give it a rest and ice it. That makes it very happy.  smile  Yesterday, I was looking around for the gardening tools and manage to jam my big toe real hard against a metal thing. That brought tears to the eyes pretty quick. I actually thought I broke the toe but it's better today. 

• Posted

Hello - As of yesterday, I am 6 weeks post op - woohoo! I continue to be amazed at the remarkable recovery I am experiencing. Each week brings improvement.  As of yesterday, I was able to walk without limping or favoring the foot. smile  I walked a bit farther than I should have but I wanted to see how far I could go before feeling discomfort. I wore Birkenstock sandals so they were comfy. I walked 2km, took a break and grabbed an ice coffee and walked the 2 km back then elevated and iced the foot. It was such a good feeling.  I even went to the gym and started working out again - very gingerly.  I also tried swimming. It felt great to be in the water.  The foot is still swollen and a bit discoloured but getting better all the time.   smile 
    • Posted

So glad to hear that things are progressing well! You are an inspiration!

I am 5 weeks post op. I get my foot xrayed and pin out next week! I'm hoping for a stellar report!

I had a little scare. My last appointment I told the Dr. How I was having excruciating calf pain and it was keeping me up at night. While lying there trying to... I think my gaurdian angel whispeted in my ear or

..I thought hmmm I wonder if that is a blood clot? I told the Dr, had an ultrasound and discovered that I did have a blood clot. So now blood thinners for 3 months. I am thankful I didn't have to stay in the hospital! Otherwise things are progressing.

I can't wait to go for a walk and.....

Keep up the good healiing!

• Posted

Hi Laura! Sorry to hear about the blood clot - admittedly I was afraid of getting one myself.  I swam again today. I can move my foot much better. It seems to like the water!  smile   When I rest in the pool, I take a few moments to move my big toe - slowly stretch and bend it forward to induce movement. I tried to do this a few times a day.  I can't move it back much at all (I hear it takes time for the tendons to also stretch and release for that).  Went for a short walk today. Basically went up the street to the store but am going to try the 4km again a little later. Take care of yourself!

• Posted

I look forward to getting around myself! I can't wait! Thanks for the well wishes! I look forward to ....😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.