My experience with blepharitis - may help others

Posted , 8 users are following.

Greetings from Canada!

I'm a new poster, suffered from this condition for only a few months. I have read the existing posts with interest, thanks to all for sharing their stories.

A few months ago I began showing the symptoms of blepharitis, and I began doing all the stuff that's recommended: the q-tips with baby shampoo, the warm compresses, the anti-dandruff shampoo etc. I did not however stop wearing contacts or replace/forgo makeup.

The treatments helped a bit but I ended up in a holding pattern with no improvement. At the same time, I also began to suspect I was suffering from anemia.

The main symptom I experience that triggers my suspicions is an overgrowth of candida.

After a couple of months of diligent adherence to the blepharitis protocols, I gave all of them up except for washing my eyes extra-well during regular face-washing.

At this point, I was officially diagnosed with anemia and began iron supplements.

Almost immediately there was a significant improvement of my blepharitis symptoms, and after a month of iron supplementation, the symptoms are down to 2% of what they were at their worst. Without any special treatments besides an extra 20 seconds a day cleansing my eyelids.

I believe that my susceptibility to this condition may have been due to a suppressed immune system. The same condition (anemia) that made me susceptible to candida.

Perhaps this might be the case with other people.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Natalie, a very interesting read. I am going to get checked for iron levels next time I'm at my GP. Often feel light headed if I jump up and feel awful in them morning until I properly wake up (takes about an hour!). My GP is baffled and my optician thinks I have an allergy. To what, I've no idea. He's recommended antihistamines and anti allergy drops for a few weeks. I've given up contacts for the moment and am not wearing eye makeup. I suspect I may have candida too as I use to get fungal infections all the time (not so much now) and would have dietary issues. Can I ask what you washed your eyes with after giving up the other methods? xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.