My first cast

Posted , 4 users are following.

I tore a tendon in my ankle last week.  The current plan of treatment is to put my leg in a full leg cast for 5 weeks and then a short leg cast for 4 more. I'll be on crutches for about 10 weeks as well.

They couldn't cast it right away because of swelling.  Does anyone have any tips for living on crutches and in a cast?  

Since this is my first cast ever, what should I expect when they cast it later this week?  And just how will they put it on?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am on my third cast were I have it on for three months ...for the first month rest with raised leg above your body allow the tendon to heal get over the op ..then when it started to swell ...I have a cast on at the moment now comming up to seven weeks ..I bought a trolly on casters and a stool for kitchen which allows me to get a my own breakfast and lunch ..you can get a waist belt with pockets which allows you to carry things like news paper ..phone ..cup ect Google it ..got both on Internet good books get a plaster cover ..plaster room should be able to help you were you will get it ..so you can have a bath shower ..bath is easier ...it's boring but you will get there ..remember to get spare rubbers for crutches they wear out about six weeks into cast ..good luck 
  • Posted

I was in a cast for 6 months and I got a friend to come and move cups plates etc all into head height cupboards and I had a chair in every room just to make things easier! Also try covering your crutch handles with pipe insulation makes the best handle and doesn't give you blisters! Also I brought a cheap ugg boot and cut it down the front and threaded laces through it so when i was out and about I could rest my foot on the floor without damaging my cast. Hope this helps!
    • Posted

Thanks, I've already had a friend get me a stool for the shower. I'll probably move a chair into the kitchen as well.

I'll as the doctor when I go to my casting appointment but I don't think I'm supposed to let my foot touch the ground at all.

Just how do they put the cast on, and was it extremely painful?

• Posted

It's not painful at all. Slightly uncomfortable but if you let them know if it becomes to uncomfortable they'll give you a minute to adjust. I couldn't put mine on the floor either. I found when I was out and about sitting down its get a dent in the bottom of my cast which would wear into a hole. More so when I had my half leg cast on. Keep it in mind it saves making a trip to a&e to get it repaired!x Hope you're better soon!
  • Posted

Preperation where possible is key, my wife was great at sorting out what I needed, before she left for work she would make flasks of coffee, plenty of bottles of water & sandwiches so that I didn't have to move to much. Comfortable clothing that is loose you are going to be sat in it all day, cotton is better than nylon. Move in your chair from side to side to avoid the possibilty of pressure sores. Physical prep was quite straight forward but nothing prepared me for the mental anguish of being in a cast for a long period of time, but such was the circumstances post op that after two months I had to have the aircast boot put on instead.

As much as is possible sit outside whilst keeping your leg elevated, read a book, listen to the radio or even better listen too and watch what nature has got on show for you. These are all things I did that really did help to eleviate the feeling of being boxed in, visitors help massively to brake up your day, so when they phone to say they're coming round tell them the door is open.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.