My first cataract operation is in a few days: how restricted will I be in what I can do after it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I haven't been able to get on to anyone at the hospital for answers and in case they don't get back to me before Friday and my GP doesn't have the info when I see him tomorrow,, could others who've had the surgery please give me some idea of what activities have to be restricted and for how long?

Anecdotally I've been told that I won't be able to drive for a week;  bend down or lift anything heavy for weeks;  or walk up and down stairs for varying lenghts of time.

As I live alone I'm concerned how much help I should be organising and would appreciate info from others who've had successful surgery.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Regarding driving, it's impossible to say because reading the replies on this forum and from my own experience, we are all different.  What will work or be OK for one person will not necessarily be the same for the next.  Commonsense is the right approach, I think.  If after your operation your vision is good then drive.  My vision was totally fine, no double vision or blurry vision..the obly slight problem I had was some radiating lines from point source lights but I wasn't planning to drive at night and so not a problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.