my first day of taking citalopram dont feel right

Posted , 5 users are following.

so iv recently been suffering from health anxiety only had it for 2 months iv never really felt like this before except for a short period of time when i was age 11 day to day life has been hard recently always feel detached worrid about things my heart beats always noticeable even when im resting that brings my anxiety on alot of the times yesterday i decided i had to get treatment so i went to see my gp who has give me citalopram and referred me for some cbt therapy but iv heard the waiting list is pretty long for this so im not holding out much hope .. last night i took my first dose of citalopram didnt feel anything as of last night woke up this morning feeling slighlty anxious witch kept me awake in the morning i then started to feel very detached and also a spaced out feeling abit shakey and gittery am also feeling quit anxious im aware my anxiety might not been helping but i dont remember feeling like this just from anxiety so im guessing im having some kind of side effects from the citalopram im only 21 and usually healthy i keep fit going to the gym and so on also felt sick this afternoon and have vomited after having somthing to eat have slight headache nothing to bad can anyone relate to this when first taking the drug replys would be appreciated

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Adam go to the forum 'anyone not had side effects from citrolopram' lots of support and advise there. It does sound like you are getting some of the side effects. Take care lynnet
  • Posted

I'm kind of in the same boat you are. I'm only on my third day of taking Citalopram and have also experienced some heightened anxiety, upset stomach and headaches. Though it has only been 3 days, it was worst on the first day and it actually has gotten better just in two days. I have also been taking it in the evening when I know I will be able to be home for a while so if I do experience any of those symptoms I know I will be home and feel more comfortable, especially with the heightened anxiety.
  • Posted

Hi Adam, Don't worry its a very powerful drug- what dose are you on? It took me about 6 weeks for my body to accept it- I was on 40mg and weighed just 6 stone 10lb- you will feel like a zombie as it blanks out your 'bad feelings' and in the long term 'all feelings'. You should keep in regular contact with your GP as it may be too strong a dose or you made need to try a different pill?

Best of luck- please don't begin to rely on it though- just see it as a helping hand!

• Posted

thanks for your replys guys im only on 10 mg at the moment my gp told me to just take half but i eneded up taking the whole 10 mg last night its a pretty low dose i guess compared to being started of on 40 i have a vert strange feeling in my head sort of like fuzzy feeling or electricity sort of feeling in my brain its slightly worrying
  • Posted

Don't be worried- its just a weird sensation and your body is trying to deal with it. Make sure you keep focused on other things and just let it do its job...try not to drink alcohol for a bit either and don't drive if you feel at all dizzy/ ill. I had the luxury of just staying in bed for the first few days as it was a bank holiday - I took mine and still do in the morning. Your speech may become slurred and you get a really dry mouth...its like the weirdest things but all apparently 'normal'- I also became jumpy- to the point of tears when someone walked behind me in the supermarket. Whats worse for you anxiety or getting used to this drug?
  • Posted

im trying to relax i do feel high anxiety i have had some anxiety the last thew days but nothing as bad as this i was fine yesterday in the daytime antill it come to the night then i started to feel anxious again and i took the tablet about 9 pm felt ok antill i woke up yeah thnaks for your advice it does help me to relax abit ..and i think ill be ok getting used to the drug its just these feelings im getting that is causing me anxiety at the moment i havent really felt this way before so its bringing my anxiety out and getting me worried witch i guess is making the whole thing worse
  • Posted

Hello Adam, Sorry you are having a tough time. I remember when I started taking this drug I thought I was dying, it made me feel so bad. I had to break it and start off with 1/4 pill, took that for 4 days then gradually built up. This really helped me. Some people are very sensitive to drugs. Within a couple of weeks I felt wonderful. It was a miracle for me! I live in the USA, (English) and I have been on it 12 years , which I don't agree with. I would love to be off it now, but have a hard time with the withdrawal symptoms . As some one said, try for least amount of time.! Good luck to you.
  • Posted

thanks sharon yeah im guessing as its my first time ever taking and kind of medication like this im having some side effects to it i think ill do what you did and cut the dose down and maybe bring it up over the next week i already took a whole one when my doctor said only take half which was very foolish of me roughly how long would you say these bad feelings last before you start to feel some positive effects from your anxiety ? because at the moment im feeling very anxious
  • Posted

I felt better within 2 weeks. It felt amazing to feel NORMAL. I wouldn't wish anxiety on anyone . I couldn't leave the house for months before I decided to take meds. Back in England I had it once, Dr didn't want me on any drugs so some one used to come to my house and talk..mental Health nurse. She was great. I know what caused my anxiety the second time. It was divorce, brothers death, divorce, buying a house getting married, huge custody battle, and move to STATES!!!😳
  • Posted

i no its horrible isent it i think my anxiety is mainly to do with my health so iv been ok goin gout in public and so on its been holding me back slightly tho i always feel more safe at home when i first started getting anxiety i didnt want to take any meds there somes pretty bad stories of people who have took them but it has been pretty bad for me so iv resorted to taking them i just want to feel normal again im hoping that i can get my cbt therapy soon aswell im not sure the waiting time on it i guess it will take a while im alooking forward to just feeling normal again and being myself im usually really outgoing and fun up for anything these last two months have probabley been some of the worst of my life im hoping to recover from this as soon as im only 21 this is holding me back
  • Posted

Dont know if this has been said but try taking your tablet before you go to bed, thats what i do , every tablet on the market has side effects, i was not sure because i had read the leaflet if i was getting them because i expected them, but been on this for years now and generally live a normal life.
  • Posted

yeah i took the tablet for the first time last night im generally quite worried at the moment iv never felt like this before feel really spaced out and dizzy almost in a state of trance im not sure what to do with my self as soon as i get out of bed i feel dizzy and have to get back in iv just had some dinner n had to get straight back into bed im hesitant to even take the pill again tonight
  • Posted

Adam, I really feel for you being so young. It's strange how this awful anxiety attacks us. I'm also very out going and people are always so shocked when they know I have suffered with this. I did buy a book many years ago that I found a great help. Dr Clare Weekes...self help for your nerves. It's very informative . Also relaxation CDs do help a lot . I found it difficult to begin with but eventually I was able to do it and always fell asleep. Try anything to help yourself. Look on Amazon for the book x
  • Posted

i over the years have been put on different anti depressants and you have to persevere with all of them, my side effects with this tablet at the start was i felt as if my blood was heating up and would slowly spread across my body, i to get dizzy moments but i really think that is down to anxiety when you are not breathing properly, i think we are so desperate to feel better that you concentrate so much on how you are feeling, which makes it worse, make sure you eat plenty and have fluids, i know its scary but dont stop taking it, its there to help you once your body gets used to it..... good luck
  • Posted

Hello adam I read your messages and I am a therapist in the US

Who had anxiety as a result of health issues.

Was on cit for 15 years . It really helped me at that time but everyone's chemistry reacts differently to the SSRI

So keep in contact with your gp and by all means the Cbt will help I feel I stayed on it too long.

But thAt was my bodies reaction

Thanks

Regards

Fellow sufferer

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.