my first day of taking citalopram dont feel right

Posted , 5 users are following.

so iv recently been suffering from health anxiety only had it for 2 months iv never really felt like this before except for a short period of time when i was age 11 day to day life has been hard recently always feel detached worrid about things my heart beats always noticeable even when im resting that brings my anxiety on alot of the times yesterday i decided i had to get treatment so i went to see my gp who has give me citalopram and referred me for some cbt therapy but iv heard the waiting list is pretty long for this so im not holding out much hope .. last night i took my first dose of citalopram didnt feel anything as of last night woke up this morning feeling slighlty anxious witch kept me awake in the morning i then started to feel very detached and also a spaced out feeling abit shakey and gittery am also feeling quit anxious im aware my anxiety might not been helping but i dont remember feeling like this just from anxiety so im guessing im having some kind of side effects from the citalopram im only 21 and usually healthy i keep fit going to the gym and so on also felt sick this afternoon and have vomited after having somthing to eat have slight headache nothing to bad can anyone relate to this when first taking the drug replys would be appreciated

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi adam

Been on cit 3 months has changed my life

The dizzy in the morning is absolutely normal just take your time getting up!

Treat yourself like your poorly so do just that relax as much as you can

You will feel better soon

Keep strong

• Posted

thanks for all your advice people it does help im just trying to stick it out iv been in bed all day that is very strange for me even wen im ill with flu and so on im usually up and about the house atleast so its been strange for me it doesent help that the anxiety i suffer from is health related so these symptoms im getting is only making my anxiety worse i guess im just trying to last it out hoping that i feel better soon im trying not to get into a panic but the drug has seemed to heighten my anxiety somewhat i will only take half tonight as the doctor said and hopefully i dont feel like this tomorrow and yeah thanks sharon ill check that out i try to use mediation on youtube to calm anxiety it does help somewhat to calm me down but not always for that long
  • Posted

i was thinking about ringing nhs direct up and telling them how im feeling but i guess theres not much they could say to me
  • Posted

Its such a shame your so young to be having this awful experience but trust me people who suffer from anxiety and depression are special because theyve given all they have to others!

You must look after yourself! !

Trust me this will make you strong for always

I found lavender oil to drops on your top makes you sleep well

And one a night nytol are excellent and non addictive and over the counter

always here for chat

Gill

• Posted

im feeling worse guys feel very dizzy like my heads spnning my hand and stuff feel numb and i feel very strange my breathing is very shallow its hard for me to tell if im having panic or this is because of the mediation im not sure what to do with my self
  • Posted

it sounds like your having a panic attack, i know this sounds strange but do the opposite, lie still, and go within yourself, as the panic heightens concentrate on your breathing and as much as your body tells you breath slowly, the panic will have a peak and if you can get through it within yourself, u will beat it, i know every bone in your body is telling you otherwise but trust me, do the opposite..........

• Posted

a panic attack is exactly what it says on the tin, shear panic, as much as it feels like you are going to die, you will not, breath in a controlled way through your nose, you will sweat and really want to move and scream, but that wont help, i can now have a full blown panic attack without no one else realising, as soon as you can get through one you will be able to cope better with the next.......
  • Posted

Frist thing frist get yourself with someone you can talk to and be with you when you feel this way . Breath in to a paper bag this should help to calm you down .l,ve been takeing it for some time now and what you are feeling will past and things will get better see how you go but if keep feeling this way speak to your doctor they will help in other ways trust me
  • Posted

thanks guys i also think it must be panic im having i dont feel good at all im trying to calm down im goig to take nickys advice and see if it helps do you guys think i should still take the medication tonight even tho i feel like this ? i seem to be going to the toilet loads like every half hour witch iv never had before
  • Posted

Definately take it, we have all been through this and its hard, its amazing what your body can do to you , you are early on in this, but if you can find the strength to relax and breath when you feel panic stricken you will be amazing, its all alien to us when it first starts, but i truly believe its not just the tablets its just a realisation that you need help and then you want it to make you feel great straight away, you need to get through the bad bit to feel better, i used to feel everyone was looking at me as i felt panicked inside, that made it worse, i would not want to talk, that made it worse, basically except its going to take a bit of time, i always used to think i was going to pass out, then it dawned on me ........ so what if i do.. nothings going to happen..... you can do it.....

• Posted

Yes take it!!!

Get it in your system!

Your panicking breath in counting to 10 breath out counting 10

IT WILL STOP you have to tell it to be able to calm it!

Nothing bads going to happen adam your safe!!

You need to be with family or friends when your like this

If your on your own you have touch time to think

Here if you need anymore advice

G

• Posted

thanks for you advice it means alot atm i have had panic attacks prevous to this but as i suffer from health anxiety when i get the physical symptoms it makes me more anxious and its hard to deal with when i start feeling alot of symptoms from the anxiety secially during a panic attack i always think im having a heart attack even tho i no deep down its just the anxiety iv been checked and they said my heart is fine but when it happens its hard to think overwise as you all no ...nicky about the technique you mentioned so i lay down and just try to relax with deep breaths and just try to confront all the physical feelings im having and just acept them kind of thing ? and what would you guys say about me carrying on with the medication should i take some more tonight but just a lower dose and hope the symtpoms die down over the next thew days ?
  • Posted

sorry gill didnt see your reply before i wrote that i will take it tonight then thanks for your advice im trying to calm down i feel abit calmer
  • Posted

It sound simple for me to say just lie there and let the panic attack overwhelm you, but its not simple and it takes a lot of concentration, u have to think to yourself when its happening nothing is going to happen, panic attacks definately peak, if you can go that far and stay calm you will feel it slowly coming down, you will want to run as it is what it is pure panic, but dont, its taken me a long time to do this, but you are young you can do this, beat the bastard...... excuse my language, i would be out shopping in Asda get half way round and want to run, i would make myself stay and what felt like an age, it would slowly go, and as much as i wanted to run home, i would make myself slowly walk out the store, perhaps im just weird....lol
  • Posted

haha no it doe-sent sound weird to confront the panic instead of try to cast it out like iv been doing ill sit there and try make it go away or try block it out i can see why this would make it worse instead of trying to accept these feelings i do feel calmer now gladly hopefully no more panic but i do still feel very anxious and have alot oh physical symptoms iv just took half of the 10mg tablet and eaten some cornflakes lol so im hoping i will feel better tomorrow if i do it will give me hope that this medication is right for me because atm im feeling like mabey it doesent work well with me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.