My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey (Part 8)

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey everyone! Hope you're doing well :-)

My name's Michelle and welcome to My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey posts. This is part 8. Please feel free to read parts 1-7 of My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey to see what has led me up to this point, how and why. Any questions/comments/feedback is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance as always! wink

By the way, today is May 19, 2017, but since it's still early, I'll only be updating up to yesterday, but doing it more as to finish with the 3 wk mark post surgery. And here we go...

POD 18:

Monday, May 15, 2017.

Today was not too bad in general. That or I'm probably getting too used to the pain. I woke up with the usual tolerable pain. I took my regular levothyroxine med in the morn. Kids left to school. I had cereal for breakfast. Afterwards, after husband had left to work, I was enjoying for a bit the gifts I had received from husband, kids & a friend during Mother's Day Week. Had a yogurt for a snack and took a stool softener. Soon, afterwards, around 1pm, I had first bm of day. It hurt, but surprisingly, it was not as painful as usually I expect it to be and not as intense, but instead quite easy compared to the many other bm times. Still had some bleeding as usual with bm, and also discharge. Cleaned up then washed up, and went to bed as I knew the usual afterburn pain wouldn't delay.

Afterburn pain came and stayed for several hours, but like I mentioned earlier in this post, maybe I'm just getting too used to the afterburn pain, because it didn't bother me as much as other days. It was still too painful to walk, but I don't know how to explain that although it was bad, it didn't feel extreme as it usually feels after bm. In addition, I just tried to distract myself from the bad pain. I was searching online for food caterer for my kids' birthday party & someone who will let us rent tables & bounce house. In the middle of my pain, I managed to find the perfect party package deal. Found people on Craigslist who do catering & rent bounce houses, tables & chairs. They even help with serving food to guests. And the clowns for entertaining with games & facepainting has already been reserved weeks ago. At the rate I'm going with recovery, those reservations are ideal for the upcoming party and will be less stress for us. smile

Back to topic, lol, the bad pain continued throughout the rest of the day. I eventually took a tramadol along with stool softener. Husband cooked up some chicken, boiling it in water, than shredding it to small pcs and making a veggie salad to add to the side. So, I had some chicken with veggie salad plus a few crackers and a peach for dinner.

Pain became tolerable at night time and I eventually fell asleep around midnight.

POD 19:

Tuesday, May 16, 2017.

For the first time, I can actually say that pain has been low today. I felt ok for the most part almost all day. Woke up, took levothyroxine med, kids went to bed, then had a sweet bread with milk. Around noon, I had a yogurt snack again with a fruit and then stool softener. Afterwards, had a late lunch of shredded chicken and veggie salad again. Low-pain time didn't last forever. Right before dinner, I had first bm around 6:30. Much painful than yesterday. It was somewhat difficult to pass as well. And the afterpain felt worse than yesterday, too. No fun, but oh well, after bathroom, went to bed, and pain gradually increased. I was hoping it was going to be the same as yesterday, but no, it was gradually getting worse. Had delicious lentils for dinner around 7:30pm. I eventually took a hydrocone with a stool softener about an hr later, but as the night progressed, pain became more unbearable. If I tried to walk, the pain attacks/spasms would come on, so stayed in bed. Husband gave me icy wet towel. It helped a bit, but little relief didn't last long. I eventually took another hydrocone about 1 hr later. Finally, around 1am, pain finally started to calm down. But lingering pain still kept me up despite all the drowsiness I felt from the pain pills. I eventually fell asleep around 3:30am.

POD 20:

Wednesday, May 17, 2017.

Today seemed to be the most comfortable, Low-pain day that I've had since surgery day. Woke up around 7am, took thyroid med, kids left to school, had some cereal for breakfast, had yogurt and peach for snack with stool softener, then for lunch, had lentils & crackers. I managed to fall asleep around 1:30pm and didn't wake up until about 6:30pm. During that time, kids had come home from school & husband had gone to buy a go cart for the kiddos. Wow, lol. Kids love it, that's for sure! So, afterwards, while husband was busy working on the yard outside, I felt comfortable enough to do a couple things without him noticing, lol. I managed to fix up some laundry. My oldest one, Landen, was helping with taking clothes in & out of washer/dryer, and I folded clothes putting everything where it belongs. I had more delicious lentils for dinner. No pain pills since the night before which was a first since surgery day I think. By the time it was bedtime, I figured that I was probably constipated since there had not been a bm all day, but I didn't really care at the moment since I felt pretty comfortable and mobile for once despite the low pain which didn't bother me at all. I managed to fall asleep around 11am which is pretty early compared to most days since surgery day.

POD 21:

Thursday, May 18, 2017.

So, today marks 3 wks since surgery day and I honestly thought before today that the worse was behind me and somehow I believed that it was really finally getting better. OMG, was I wrong. I realized this morning that that is still not the case. Today has been the worse yet. What I didn't pay for yesterday, I greatly paid for it today. Not to mention very painfully...

So, I woke up around 7am as usual, took thyroid med, and soon kids went to school. I had a sweet bread with some milk for breakfast. Soon afterwards around 9am, had first bm of the day. OMG...the worse yet. So difficult to pass, so intense and very, very painful. Not sure how long it took, but I know several minutes had passed. I was shaking during and afterwards as well. The blood along with that bm was a lot along with several blood clots and some discharge. I was crying. I was in lots of pain and I also felt upset because I felt like I had taken a couple steps back. After cleaning up and washing up, I went back to bed, still in tears and in obvious pain. My husband was so sweet as usual, trying to comfort me before leaving to work, telling me to try to be patient and to give it time. He soon left to go to work. Within the next 3 hrs, I had 2 more dreadful bms. Those were not as difficult & intense, but still very painful & each still left me a bit shaken. Well, at least this month's period is over with, but anyways, you can imagine the rest of the day. In lots of pain and in bed. Honestly, I didn't even bother to take pain pills since I l ready know based on experience that they don't help when it comes to extreme pain. Only took a stool softener around noon. But amazingly, I managed to fall asleep for a couple hrs during afternoon. By nighttime, pain was at tolerable level. Husband gave me veggie soup for dinner along with some crackers. Around 9pm, after 48hrs of no pain pills, I took a hydrocone with stool softener hoping it will help me fall asleep easier & maybe bring pain down lower. It eventually brought pain down to low level, but couldn't sleep, and eventually fell asleep around 2:30am. Finally end of POD 21 wink

***A few side notes...

When I wash up down there, it's still with either with warm water bottle or hot shower. I have to admit though that for some reason, hot/warm water is not that alleviating anymore, but instead stinging. But too chicken to shower with cold water, lol, so still wash up anyway to help keep clean, and still am using baby wipes as well, but to help cope with pain, I just do the cold wet towel whenever pain does get really bad.

When pain has been low, I've been kind of challenging myself in the aspect of starting to sit for a few min at a time on my rectum. It is still painful, but Idk, just testing myself to see how much I can take.

Husband still taking care of most things & prefers to keep it that way until I'm completely ok. Wow. I often think it's too much for him, but he somehow handles it all with always a positive attitude. So grateful & very proud of him smile

Dr appt is next Fri. Wonder what Dr will say. I also wonder how I'll be that night because concert is that night. Probably will need doughnut thing to get through concert. I don't intend to miss it..I am so eager to get out as it has been over 3 wks already since I have been out of this house! No fun at all sad

Will post part 9 either this wknd or sometime next wk. Anyways questions, feedback, advice, comments is always greatly appreciated - thanks in advance - take care and God Bless wink

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Michelle are you taking fiber pills? I don't see that in any of your posts. I take 6 to 9 a day of fiber pills. And six stole softeners. My doctor told me to eat regular food to help with my healing and that's what I've been doing the last few days. I made a BLT, had a tiny helping egg plant Parmesan and spaghetti and salad, yogurt and fruit. I do eat bran cereal in the morning and along with my fiber I've had solid but soft BM's. I also do them on a sitz bath so I don't get the horrible pain while going and then sit for 15 more minutes on clear hot water. Soothes and cleans me. I am quite tired and a little in pain after I get off but then I take a little rest and I feel better little while later. I find walking helps me gain back my strength. It will be two weeks tomorrow and who knows what tomorrow will bring but right now tonight I feel pretty good. Very little pain. I just hope it continues. Hope you try some of my suggestions. Nancy

• Posted

do you use any numbing cream before a BM? I feel like i need to go ask for some. Everytime I have a BM, I feel like I'm ripping something apart... and then when I rinse, I use a squirt bottle and sometimes it feels like it's getting inside an open wound or cut. Like as if I'm spraying water into a deep paper cut. I did look and I do have a cut down there that I didn't notice before. Perhaps just the pressure of the squirting irritated it. I'm feeling much the same. At nights I feel like it's super swollen and I can't sleep but it looks the same. When I have a BM, the pain gets over a level 10 but luckily only lasts 5 mins or so. I stopped pain killers my surgeon gave me and just using Tylenol. I'm really hoping I feel normal soon. 

• Posted

I was given numbing cream at the hospital to take home on surgery. I felt that it never helped with pain, but it does help a tad bit with itching, so I guess something is better than nothing...

OMG, I'm sooo sorry...I know exactly what ur feeling :-(

I only hope it doesn't last long for u & gets better very soon!

Have u gotten any other help from family or friends? When do u see ur dr/surgeon again for followup??

Hugs & prayers ur way -

Keep me posted plz & talk to to u soon...continue to take it extra ez! Take care and God Bless ;-)

• Posted

Hi,

I'm happy to see your response. I think I'm going crazy just being here alone. I have a dear friend that is nice enough to get me groceries 2x since I've been home but for the most part, I am kind of lonely here. 

My follow up appointment isn't until July 10th. That's the earliest appointment. So far I signed up for Netflix and just watching everything I PVR on my tv. I find I am going lots each day. up to 7 BMs daily. It's not a good feeling. I hope I'm not like this when I'm fully recovered. 

• Posted

Hi. This is three weeks for me and I still do BM in a sitz bath the sits on my toilet. The water warm to hot soothes while pushing and after so the pains no so bad. I dump the SB into toilet and rinse and repeat. I end with just sitting to soak and clean myself. Don't need spray bottle. It's been three weeks and still do this. Will have to ween myself back to going in 🚽 Like usually do. 😆 Be sure to pop lots of fiber pills too along with a healthy diet.

• Posted

I'm guessing itching is a good thing, means things are healing down there. But it's crazy bothersome. What can I do about the itching?? 

Also, has anyone ever tried coconut oil to soothe the area? 

Last night I felt like my skin was dry and irritated from all the sitz baths or something. 

• Posted

Hi K!! :-)

How are you??

I hope u have gotten some relief for itching. In addition to using wipies, the hemmorrhoid analgesic cream has helped me a bit with itching.

No, I haven't tried coconut oil...have u? Hopefully it helps ;-)

I felt my skin down there being dry & irritated especially the first few wks post surgery, but no sitz bath. In my case, I was thinking maybe the consistent discharge & bleeding plus trying to keep it clean? Idk, but I assume it's just part of the whole process...

I'm so glad ur friend has helped with groceries and u have netflix. How have u been doing these last few days? How is the pain? Hoping it's better...

Plz continue to take it easy & keep us posted, k - talk to you later wink

• Posted

Hi Andrea!

This Friday will mark my 3 weeks post op. And honestly, I'm feeling pretty good. I've been feeling pretty consistantly good for the last 5 days probably. I went out at night for Father's Day to my sister's and I was a little worried I'd have a BM that night but I was fine. Sitting down was fine too.  I do notice I walk a little differently and slower but that's ok. I haven't been doing much lately so my energy level is probably really low. Normally I'm a fast moving/walking person.

Leakage and discharge has dropped quite a bit but I'm still wearing period pads just in case. I'm trying not at night and I'm SO hoping I don't stain my white sheets. I wear the hospital undies they gave me, those absorb well and you can wash them in the washer and it cleans up very well.

The past 3 days though, my BMs in the morning aren't as free and soft as the previous weeks. I don't think they are hard but they aren't coming out as easily as they use to. I've had to give it a push each time and I'm a little worried about that. 

I still have swelling down there, those bumps that everyone is talking about. Those aren't as sore as they use to be but they are still bothersome, especially when they itch. I use to ice it every morning maybe 2x after each BM but I stopped and I noticed I don't feel discomfort as much. Maybe the icing was irritating it more than it was helping.

I guess I feel lucky because I'm finally feeling normal again. However, I just lay around all day watching Netflix and snacking here and there. I was told to avoid sitting and my surgeon seemed very strict about that so I avoid it when I can.

I hope everyone else's journey is looking up. I still can't hold in my BMs too long though which I'm really worried about when I'm out. If you know anyone with Celiac Disease, they have that same issue too. 

Good luck everyone, Happy Healing! Thanks everyone for your stories, it really does help while you're healing to hear everyone's progress. 

• Posted

Hi Andrea. Really hope ur doin we'll. Ur posts have been so honest and helpful. Just wondering if uv posted part 9 of ur journey already? Think I might have missed it or can't find it.. Anyways thank u and good luck with ur recovery

• Posted

Hi Dave :-)

Thank you, I'm so glad you have found my posts helpful. How are you?? How has your experience been like? I hope you're doing well in general wink

I'm so sorry haven't posted Part 9. So much has happened that I keep postponing it...I will post soon though. Thanks again & please take care. I wish you all the best - God Bless - Talk to you later wink

• Posted

Hey my experience so far isn't the best.. didn't do surgery yet. Love ur honesty so far. Is it really worth all the pain? In ur opinion? I'm really brickin it about this op now:-) btw hope ur just busy enjoying life again . Thanks soo much for everything ul never know how much u helped

• Posted

I am now a month post op and can not see how I will ever heal ! My BMs every morning are soft and abundant. Takes me a couple of hours to stop aching enough for me to go about my day.Always throbs throughout the day with some better moments than others.  It seems now that I bleed a little each BM which means I keep opening my surgery site or sites. How will I be able to heal if this continues? I have many summer plans that may not see the light of day if I can't socialize. I put some triple antibiotic cream on the external parts down there to try to assist with healing. Don't think this is helping. Do you have any suggestions? Are you fully healed down there yet? HELP, I can't continue being a recluse while life gois on outside.

• Posted

I know what you mean about being a recluse. I'm so worried that by the time I have to go to work again, I'll be so weak and anti social. I haven't left the house that much these past 3 weeks and I haven't seen anyone either really. 

I thought about putting some polysporin down there to help with the healing but I was told not to by a friend who went through the same surgery. 

Are you still on pain meds? I heard Epson Salt baths are good for healing. I'll google that later but I've been doing lots of those. 

Also, have you thought of getting a stool to put your feet on while on the toilet? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.