My hemorrhoidectomy recovery

Posted , 128 users are following.

Hi there, this is my first time posting to a forum of any kind regarding this issue, I have however read countless stories from all different places (over 99% horror stories) in the last couple of years. 

This post is to share my personal experience, answer any questions and also to get some feed back from people who have had the procedure done also. Forgive me in advance for the long post but I am trying to be as detailed as possible. 

First of all, I am a 33 years old male, 5’6 and 110 lbs. I have suffered from hemorrhoids since my teen years but within the last few years they have seriously affecting my life. I had 2 very large grade 3 internal,  2 external hemorrhoids and an extremely painful anal fissure. I had the 2 internal ones banded in April of last year but it didn’t work. 

My surgeon suggested that I do a complete Hemorrhoidectomy of int and ex hemorrhoids along with a sphinterotomy, HOWEVER, I have decided not to do the sphincterotomy because I was afraid of getting incontinence. 

DAY 1: I woke up in recovery at 6:00pm in excruciating pain, was given dilaudid thru IV with no relief and again about 15 mins later and then fentanyl about 10 mins after that and then 10mg of oxycodone by mouth, all which didn’t even touch the pain. I was then taken back to my room to get discharged. While waiting for the discharge nurse I decided to try to urinate but only a few drops came out. I then Signed my discharge papers and was wheeled out to my car and my father drove me home. During the car ride home (about 20 mins) the pain was still the same, I got home around 8:00pm, took stool softeners and ran a bath which offered some welcomed relief, repeated the bath about 30 mins later, ate some soup and crackers and took my second dose of 10mg of oxycodone and 1,000mg of Tylenol at 10:00pm. As I am writing this post it is 11:30pm and am in the bath again (3rd Time since I’ve been home). I Also would like to add that I am using extremely hot water because that seems to help better but am wondering if that could be harmful to the surgical area (any input would be greatly appreciated). The pain meds make me really tired but am not able to sleep for more than 15 mins because the pain wakes me up. 

All in all so far it is every bit as painful as advertised and i ABSOLUTELY DREAD when I have to have my first bowel movement. I am hoping that this doesn’t become one of those horror stories but so far it has been. But on the bright side, it has only been about 6 hours post op. 

I will be updating this frequently so feel free to any questions. 

7 likes, 150 replies

150 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hello. This is my 3rd day after hemorrhoidectpomy surgery. Its been hell. Worse than having monster sized kids with no pain meds. I understand that there are sutures on your rectum because that's where it needs closed up from removing the hemorrhoids but I don't understand why there is a small suture on the inside of my left butt cheek and on inside of my right butt cheek no where around my rectum? They are just almost to where you would see them from outside of buttock. They are just right inside on each cheek. Does anyone know why doctor would do this? There is absolutely nothing there to be sutured. Ok now I can feel maybe a vessel or something going from rectum to the stitch so I'm thinking the stitch is holding something where it should stay maybe.

• Posted

did you get an answer to this? I feel like I'm insane, but keep telling my husband I feel like I have a stitch way up in no man's land,.

• Posted

has anyone had any itching on there anus I had 2 internal hemorrhoid removed 13 days ago and now its itching I'm wondering if there is anything I can do or my doctor. and how long does this itch last

• Posted

hey.... u can apply anti hemorrhoids cream may be ur doc might have prescribed....anyways its OTC cream or simply apply coconut oil ....it helps.....but since its just 13 days i wud suggest to go for anti hemorrhoids cream....

• Posted

thanks. how long does it relieve the itch and how often can I apply cause I'm still wiping the mucus that's leaking out still. I'm hoping this itch ends soon its driving me nuts I rather have the bit pain before this then this itchy feeling.

• Posted

u can apply this 2 times a day as per doctor but i think applying it before n after BM helps....how long...depends person to person 😃

• Posted

I'm on same day as you are. Ive been using antibiotic ointment for a little while, because I want it healed as quick as possible. Doctors office only had me on percocet and it wasn't doing much for me at all when I was taking it. It just made going to bathroom awful. I haven't been on them for awhile because of that. Once going off it was a lot easier going to bathroom.Still hurts but nothing like before because painkillers make you constipated. Now I've been having itching which is a sign of healing. Ive been using hydrocortisone ointment.

• Posted

Same i got off my prescribed meds after the first week i didn't want to get constipated. I have a more burning pain now and itchness comes and goes i got the hydrocortisone as well but my doctor said the steroid could delay healing so i just been using the otc cream for when im at work and tucks at home. I'm just can't wait till the discharge stops i can deal with the burning pain and itchness but the discharge is more annoying.

• Edited

Ok maybe you guys can help me out. Can you guys describe what the pain is like?

It seems that I have the gist of what it's like to poop, with the feeling of glass cutting your insides/rectal area. That seems to be the most common description for pooping.

But what about the rest of the time? When people are talking about the pain that they are in, is there anything to compare it to and maybe multiply the pain level by 100 or something?

Does it feel like breaking a bone? Or getting punched? Or like a throbbing sensation sort of like when you have a huge migraine, but instead of your head throbbing it's your rectal area throbbing?

Can anybody describe and compare the pain that you feel after a hemorrhoidectomy to something relatable, or that I might have an idea of what kind of pain it is?

Again, I'm not talking about when you poop, I'm talking about the rest of the time. What is the pain like and what does it compare to?

• Edited

the first month (yes, month) its so many different feelings. yes, it feels like glass when you poop. but its still a constant pain otherwise. for me, it was like a sharp throbbing pain, sometimes felt like it was on fire. its not a pain that comes and goes...its constant. after 3-4 weeks it eases up a bit. but the first 3-4 weeks..you will NOT be able to do anything. i suggest having help if possible. it gets especially worse whenever you move. just to sit up, lay down, when you cough/sneeze, walk up stairs, just move in general (you dont realize how much strain is really put on your butthole until you have the surgery)- its like someone is stabbing you in the butthole with a firey rusted knife..only way i can explain it. its been almost 2 years since my surgery, and i was diagnosed with PTSD from the surgery (as crazy as it sounds. but the pain was horrid. i regretted the surgery but had no other options. there was countless times i just layed on the floor crying and telling my husband i wanted to die. granted...i spent more time in the hospital because i didn't poop for 2weeks after the surgery, was completely backed all the way up. 3 days in the hospital and every pooping medicine in the hospital given multiple times, nothing helped just cramped me bad. in the end i had to get an enema..and my goodness..it was just as bad as when i woke up from the surgery). IF you have other options, i would explore those first before you opt for the surgery..but i know in some cases like mine. its the only option. i will say, my doctor told me at my post-op appt that this is the most painful surgery recovery there is. i wish he told me prior so i couldve been prepared. so...long answer short...3-4weeks of feeling like you have a hot knife in there whether youre still or move..moving/coughing/etc just makes it feel like the knife is going deeper i suppose, and pooping feels like you're pushing out shards of glass.

• Posted

hello! just wondering how all you all are recovering. im on day 10.....had my 2nd (worst) bm and hopefully over the hardest hump of this journey. im curiius when it will stop smelling back there and when the brown stuff will stop coming out. ugh. im changing my underwear twice a day bc it just smells so bad.

i got off all pain meds on day 8 bc it caused the worst constipation. my tip for ppl is to try to take half of what the doctor prescribes for you to prevent as much constipation as possible. or drink lots and lots of water. right now i am just taking cbd to help w pain.

anyone also has a bump down there still? doesnt look like a hem but just rrally ugly..like a really wrinkled grape looking thing. i hope its not a hem!!! ahhhh!!!

• Posted

how has your recovery been?

im almost 10 weeks out and still have that weird extra swollen skin there. im still in pain with every bowel movement and bleeding often.

• Posted

im 2 months (8 weeks?) out. i still have the extra swollen skin as well (like 2 bumps).. and it itches sooo much! does yours itch?. no more pain and bleeding during bm though. ive been having diarrhea and constipation lately (mostly due to bad diet or not enough water) ugh trying to be better about drinking 8 glasses of water.

• Posted

yes! two bumps that im assuming are swollen skin. i hope they go away! no itching really. ive been trying to be better w diet too but its so hard!

• Edited

i had 7 removed surgically. 4 external and 3 internal. i had the surgery on may 28th so its been a considerable amount of time. i did see my doctor twice for follow ups. the last one i went to i was in tears the entire time. i felt in so much pain that something wasnt healing correctly. he said that i had some swelling which he wasnt concerned about. i mentioned that i was bleeding every bowel movement and he didnt seem concerened.

it was too painful when he tried to look internally.

even today, 9 weeks later, i am still umcomfortable, bleeding, and have swollen skin. anyone else experience pain still after this long?

• Posted

yes I am too!!! the doctors LIE to you about how long the real recovery is!! or Noone would go thru with it!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.