My hemorrhoidectomy recovery

Posted , 128 users are following.

Hi there, this is my first time posting to a forum of any kind regarding this issue, I have however read countless stories from all different places (over 99% horror stories) in the last couple of years. 

This post is to share my personal experience, answer any questions and also to get some feed back from people who have had the procedure done also. Forgive me in advance for the long post but I am trying to be as detailed as possible. 

First of all, I am a 33 years old male, 5’6 and 110 lbs. I have suffered from hemorrhoids since my teen years but within the last few years they have seriously affecting my life. I had 2 very large grade 3 internal,  2 external hemorrhoids and an extremely painful anal fissure. I had the 2 internal ones banded in April of last year but it didn’t work. 

My surgeon suggested that I do a complete Hemorrhoidectomy of int and ex hemorrhoids along with a sphinterotomy, HOWEVER, I have decided not to do the sphincterotomy because I was afraid of getting incontinence. 

DAY 1: I woke up in recovery at 6:00pm in excruciating pain, was given dilaudid thru IV with no relief and again about 15 mins later and then fentanyl about 10 mins after that and then 10mg of oxycodone by mouth, all which didn’t even touch the pain. I was then taken back to my room to get discharged. While waiting for the discharge nurse I decided to try to urinate but only a few drops came out. I then Signed my discharge papers and was wheeled out to my car and my father drove me home. During the car ride home (about 20 mins) the pain was still the same, I got home around 8:00pm, took stool softeners and ran a bath which offered some welcomed relief, repeated the bath about 30 mins later, ate some soup and crackers and took my second dose of 10mg of oxycodone and 1,000mg of Tylenol at 10:00pm. As I am writing this post it is 11:30pm and am in the bath again (3rd Time since I’ve been home). I Also would like to add that I am using extremely hot water because that seems to help better but am wondering if that could be harmful to the surgical area (any input would be greatly appreciated). The pain meds make me really tired but am not able to sleep for more than 15 mins because the pain wakes me up. 

All in all so far it is every bit as painful as advertised and i ABSOLUTELY DREAD when I have to have my first bowel movement. I am hoping that this doesn’t become one of those horror stories but so far it has been. But on the bright side, it has only been about 6 hours post op. 

I will be updating this frequently so feel free to any questions. 

7 likes, 150 replies

150 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had 2 internal + 1 internal removed 3 weeks ago- I'd like to make this clear: After almost having my gallbladder rupture over the course of 12 hours- and not stealing my parents car, or calling an ambulance: My doctor put "high pain tolerance" on my record.

And I thought I knew pain...I really did- but then I had this surgery: I've been screaming and whining like a little b--- for the past 3 weeks. It's totally pinned me down- I even had an adult circumcision 7 years ago: This still tops that. Worst pain I've ever felt in my life.

Unfortunately, I didn't watch myself well enough after surgery, the external site got infected, my pain worsened, my overall condition worsened, and it got to the point where no pain medication or soothing method helped: Oxycodone, Motrin, Tylenol, a sitz bath, ice pack, heating blanket, lidocane cream- everything failed.

I finally woke my wife up, and said: I need to go to the hospital right now- I need professional-grade medical assistance immediately.

At 3 AM, I admitted myself- and I've been on IV administered antibiotics for the past 4 days.

My surgeon ran a CT scan, and said I was lucky that the infection didn't breach the skin, enter the muscle, into the bloodstream, and spread to the rest of my body- AKA gone Septic.

He said I dodged a colostomy bag, but if I don't keep the area clean 24/7 after being discharged: This could happen all over again- and next time it might truly result in a colostomy bag.

Thats why I plan to do IV therapy after being discharged- so I can keep the infection under control while I continue to heal- and my surgeon says I have 4-6 weeks before the site heals- so for the next 4-6 weeks I'm looking at IV therapy.

Probably every day after work.

Possibly multiple times a day.

SO YEAH- If you're not good at cleaning yourself, OR you have a compromised immune system (I'm pre-diabetic)- then you might end up with a colostomy bag.

Thats how INSANELY risky I THINK- after MY EXPERIENCE- hemorrhoid removal surgery is. Because I just wanted 3 hemorrhoids removed, and it almost resulted in a colostomy bag.

There is ZERO ROOM for carelessness or laziness with the recovery process. Take it seriously, do exactly as you're told, or you'll pay for it. Trust me.

I'm still not out of the woods- I'm STILL here at the hospital- and maybe I'll be discharged tomorrow- but how I'm going to work while focusing on keeping the area super-clean over the next 4-6 weeks: That needs to be figured out. They'll my wife to clean me, but even then I still don't have full confidence in us- which is why I'm going to try and back myself up with IV therapy. Time to get serious.

Chow guys!

• Posted

hey bro hope your doing better dodnt have external thank god internals but did have 3 other things don to forgot but non were external I believe I do with bath to keep it clean and put water on paper towel and tap lightly everytime I change paper towel and gauze so dont bleed on my underwear but got lucky bro it's been ok so far pain alot yes on second day alot it was hell yesterday was ok today was little better havnt felt the pain I did second day thank god but doing everything I'm told and everything I'm prescribed water fruit fiber and pain meds with ibuprofen

• Posted

I'm 2.5 post opp and the 1st week was hell. Pain Constipation, Nausea. But every recovery is different per patient & the skills of the Dr. Doing better now. Only thing i question did anyone experience these two bulky scalp like balls where the incisions was made to cut hemorrhoids out? I mean they went down in size a bit but not all the way.Also did they move when you washed then and when they itch from the healing? Feels like something is crawling back there. Is this normal experience for anyone?

• Posted

I'm at 4 weeks post op- just starting to feel normal again! I still have some pain and bleeding during a bm. Still bowel urgency (seems like its getting a little better)

The skin bulges are normal and are still healing. I asked my surgeon about it at my appt this week and she said they should go down in a couple months. If not she can remove the excess skin if its bothering me.

• Posted

thats great I'm exactly a week post OP had a BM but man still hurt still use gauze in my underwear cuz I still bleed other than that alot better than the first few days man that was torture

• Posted

4 days post op ..... pain has gone down a bit but still too much to bear ..esp during motion 😦 i feel like i can pass out/die there.....

i can still feel bulges there and that too very painful and too hard 😦 any suggestions please.... is it normal or surgery was a waste 😢

• Posted

i feel like i could have written this myself. i am about 9 hours post op and your waking up in recovery is IDENTICAL to mine. I am also 33 and 5'6" lol.

Whatever local anesthetic they gave my bum is wearing off. They gave me 5mg oxycodone and 600mg ibprofen. Neither is touching the pain.

Im in agony.

i apologize for the typos, I am miserable

• Posted

Be strong and patient. I been through all that. I know how you feel. You will get better.

• Posted

Hang in there, it will get better. As many say, it is a mental race. I'm "only" on 8 days post-op and doing much better, even though I had a small mental breakdown today, sick n' tired of this BS, lol. My swelling has gone down a lot, until I poop and that's when reality checks in for a couple of hours at least. I've noticed, as many have stated, hence the "mental race", that this is a condition that you may think that you are getting better or maybe even think "hey...I'm feeling good today yaaay", and it usually smacks you right in the face when you have your BM for the day. It's a wierd feeling really, mindfu-s you, even if you're getting better you may feel you're not, but you are, so...hang in there! And keep your stools soft, I use Movicol/Macrogol.

• Posted

they just prescribed me some valium because of the spasms. i couldnt pee all morning but after squirting hot water on my vagina i was finally able. Still feeling awful but the valium is relaxing me

• Edited

I had my hemorrhoidectomy and anoplasty Thursday, 5 days ago. I took 1 ibuprofen and 1 10 mg oxicodone when I got home. From then until Saturday, i woke up every 4 hours to take an oxi, eat a squeeze pouch of applesauce, soak in a bath or sitz bath. But on Saturday, I started feeling nauseated and just plain crummy. Also experienced my first BM. Was not fun.

Anyhow, my husband went out and bought me an edible chocolate bar from a dispensary Sat afternoon. It breaks into 5mg pieces. So since then, I've been able to take half an oxi and 5mg thc from the edibles every 4 hours. So I think if you're in excruciating pain and you live in a state that allows recreational, you could try the small dose of THC. It helped me keep the pain away and reduce the amount of oxi I was taking. It did make me feel a little spaced out but was better than the oxi.

• Posted

I exclusively breastfeed my 6 month old so thats not an option for me 😕

• Posted

i wish Texas had medical weed because i had my surgery 4 days ago now and the 7.5 vicodin isnt cutting it im taking my friends xanax bar and got some green too !!!no BM yet im scared to death i cry thinking about it this pain is the worst

• Posted

hi Bas84!

thx for posting your experience . im a 38 years old female will need this Hemorrhoidectomy soon. I guess my case is beyond rubberbanding ligation. I’m a little hesitant since I’ve heard many stories about incontinent and continued leakage a brown discharge even after patient recovered. Is that true?

and what is ur progress now and is it worth it?

• Posted

Hi NuAnne,

I'm 39, female, and also looking at hemorrhoidectomy. I've had 4 rubberbanding ligations over the course of 7 years... last one was today. My surgeon said that if this one doesnt help with the pain within 2 weeks, I'll have to get the hemorrhoids removed. I have five grade 3-4 prolapsing hemorrhoids and they've become gradually more painful over the last four months. I'm incredibly scared of the pain after hemorrhoidectomy, considering I have low tolerance for pain... so I'm trying to determine which one is worse: horrible suffering from hemorrhoidectomy (possible incontinence, possible hemorrhoids reappearing after a couple of years, possible complications, etc) , or average suffering from hemorrhoid pain for the rest of my life. This whole situation is so depressing... I feel like I cannot live normally. After reading most comments here, I feel there are others out there with similar problems...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.