My hemorrhoidectomy recovery

Posted , 128 users are following.

Hi there, this is my first time posting to a forum of any kind regarding this issue, I have however read countless stories from all different places (over 99% horror stories) in the last couple of years. 

This post is to share my personal experience, answer any questions and also to get some feed back from people who have had the procedure done also. Forgive me in advance for the long post but I am trying to be as detailed as possible. 

First of all, I am a 33 years old male, 5’6 and 110 lbs. I have suffered from hemorrhoids since my teen years but within the last few years they have seriously affecting my life. I had 2 very large grade 3 internal,  2 external hemorrhoids and an extremely painful anal fissure. I had the 2 internal ones banded in April of last year but it didn’t work. 

My surgeon suggested that I do a complete Hemorrhoidectomy of int and ex hemorrhoids along with a sphinterotomy, HOWEVER, I have decided not to do the sphincterotomy because I was afraid of getting incontinence. 

DAY 1: I woke up in recovery at 6:00pm in excruciating pain, was given dilaudid thru IV with no relief and again about 15 mins later and then fentanyl about 10 mins after that and then 10mg of oxycodone by mouth, all which didn’t even touch the pain. I was then taken back to my room to get discharged. While waiting for the discharge nurse I decided to try to urinate but only a few drops came out. I then Signed my discharge papers and was wheeled out to my car and my father drove me home. During the car ride home (about 20 mins) the pain was still the same, I got home around 8:00pm, took stool softeners and ran a bath which offered some welcomed relief, repeated the bath about 30 mins later, ate some soup and crackers and took my second dose of 10mg of oxycodone and 1,000mg of Tylenol at 10:00pm. As I am writing this post it is 11:30pm and am in the bath again (3rd Time since I’ve been home). I Also would like to add that I am using extremely hot water because that seems to help better but am wondering if that could be harmful to the surgical area (any input would be greatly appreciated). The pain meds make me really tired but am not able to sleep for more than 15 mins because the pain wakes me up. 

All in all so far it is every bit as painful as advertised and i ABSOLUTELY DREAD when I have to have my first bowel movement. I am hoping that this doesn’t become one of those horror stories but so far it has been. But on the bright side, it has only been about 6 hours post op. 

I will be updating this frequently so feel free to any questions. 

7 likes, 150 replies

150 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Advice after a HALO

procedure for hamorrhoids

I had 2 small hemorrhoids inside, and two skin tags, and when they did the op the found a very large lump at top? and cut it out!

never ever have i felt pain like it worse than Childbirth, as soon as I woke up from the operation it was instant pain, i think i just slept for a whole week!! and i was finding it very difficult to pass wee even going back to hospital thinking i had an infection.

I am on day eight i seem to be alright in the day but by night my god the pain still wakes me up every 3 hrs, did anyone else have more pain during the night? i have been to toilet around three times since having the op

thankyou andrea

• Edited

1 year after and it was the best thing i ever did it. ❤

make site you take plenty of laxatives after surgery

andrea

• Posted

hello, im on my day 19day post the surgery

i still have pain in Bm but not as before , still cant go out and have a normal life like before bc when i feel i want to go to the toilet ive to go as fast as i can , and i dont know when or how to get better and back to my life again ,

any help please!

• Posted

I am also 19 days post Op as of today and I am not sure if I see a positive making a turn anytime soon.... I Mean, I def. am more comfortable today verse 2weeks ago... but when the feeling of a Bm comes on -I am not sure if it is still the stool softners making me feel like i am imm. going to poop my brains out if I am not close to a bathroom -which makes me feel not so comfortable leaving my house for long periods of time! And when having a Bm I still use the sitz bath(which this routine alone is a big pain in the arse) but I seriously long for the day when i will be able to poop normal again. which i was told by my doctor it will come in time. I never thought I could ever possibly take POOPING for granted...... butt 😃 apparently I have, big time!

good luck.

it's such a vascular and tender area....it'll all work out in time.....

• Posted

It will get better. Already more than a year after my ops now im back to normal. im glad i had it removed but never i wana go through all that healing process again hahaha

• Posted

hello there. I am 3 weeks post op. tomorrow and I am having several issues still. any advice would be a blessing. the swelling (skin tags) are still quite large and tender. will these ever deflate? I count the days and ice them regularly but it is uncomfortably painful for hours after every BM. BMs are easier now but I still have to breathe like I'm giving birth to stay distracted from the intense ripping feeling. I just want to know that these things get better. they go away. especially the swelling.

• Posted

How are you doing?

Ive had similar symptoms

I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op. I had several complications(colon blocked/urinary retention) and a sickness after my surgery. I'm doing a little better pain wise but it still is uncomfortable to walk and during bowel movements . I still gave bleeding with bm's. Also, since surgery Ive had urgency to poop and belly pain constantly. Its almost like IBS with diarrea symptoms.

Any advice is appreciated .....:) thanks

• Posted

hey I go in for surgery this friday just terrified to be honest diet never been the best and hate water and I have tendencies to push during BM just how I go so I'm scared that's gonna effect after surgery cuz I'm going to have to push just scared lol, hope all is well with you

• Posted

get my surgery friday 2-7-2020 so few days

dreading it terrified but had hemmroids since I was 18 I'm 29 now I'm just tired of it and need it gon so yea cant wait but also hope all is good will update as days go by

• Posted

Hi

I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op. I'm sure everything will go fine. Everyone tolerates the surgery different. I had complications right after (my colon basically stopped and I had urinary retention). I was taking every laxative and but on pain meds . Just be careful with the pain meds - you need them but for me it stopped my GI tract and caused major issues

• Posted

You really need to read this

https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/14278Phalo.pdf

I am 18 months past this procedure and it was a breeze. Recovered fully in a matter of a few days. I was fully prepared to bite the bullet and go for the Haemorrhoidectomy but was convinced by my consultant surgeon to give this a try first. I can not thank him enough.

• Posted

I use a step and go toliet stool - this helps alot so you dont strain or push during a bm. If you cant drink water - you just have to drink alot of whatever beverage you prefer (caffeine free) to keep things flowing.

Warm/hot sitz baths and baths help alot with the pain. Im not going to lie its a very painful surgery but you have to look at it that you’re not gonna be suffering every day with hemorrhoids

You just have to go through the recovery process and you’re going to be a lot better over all.

Best

• Posted

i doubt my surgeon doing this kind of surgery plus medical is the one who chooses not the person

• Posted

day 1 idk if its numbing taking this long but barely any pain drink alot of water been urinating alot like alot lol but no bm tried every 2 hours even gas is hard to pass which sucks cuz gives you stomach ache but got pain pills ibuprofen and tramadol and luckily had best doctor in my town so that was a plus

• Posted

thats great news!

glad you are doing well so far and I hope it continues

take it easy and rest 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.