My hemorrhoidectomy recovery

Posted , 128 users are following.

Hi there, this is my first time posting to a forum of any kind regarding this issue, I have however read countless stories from all different places (over 99% horror stories) in the last couple of years. 

This post is to share my personal experience, answer any questions and also to get some feed back from people who have had the procedure done also. Forgive me in advance for the long post but I am trying to be as detailed as possible. 

First of all, I am a 33 years old male, 5’6 and 110 lbs. I have suffered from hemorrhoids since my teen years but within the last few years they have seriously affecting my life. I had 2 very large grade 3 internal,  2 external hemorrhoids and an extremely painful anal fissure. I had the 2 internal ones banded in April of last year but it didn’t work. 

My surgeon suggested that I do a complete Hemorrhoidectomy of int and ex hemorrhoids along with a sphinterotomy, HOWEVER, I have decided not to do the sphincterotomy because I was afraid of getting incontinence. 

DAY 1: I woke up in recovery at 6:00pm in excruciating pain, was given dilaudid thru IV with no relief and again about 15 mins later and then fentanyl about 10 mins after that and then 10mg of oxycodone by mouth, all which didn’t even touch the pain. I was then taken back to my room to get discharged. While waiting for the discharge nurse I decided to try to urinate but only a few drops came out. I then Signed my discharge papers and was wheeled out to my car and my father drove me home. During the car ride home (about 20 mins) the pain was still the same, I got home around 8:00pm, took stool softeners and ran a bath which offered some welcomed relief, repeated the bath about 30 mins later, ate some soup and crackers and took my second dose of 10mg of oxycodone and 1,000mg of Tylenol at 10:00pm. As I am writing this post it is 11:30pm and am in the bath again (3rd Time since I’ve been home). I Also would like to add that I am using extremely hot water because that seems to help better but am wondering if that could be harmful to the surgical area (any input would be greatly appreciated). The pain meds make me really tired but am not able to sleep for more than 15 mins because the pain wakes me up. 

All in all so far it is every bit as painful as advertised and i ABSOLUTELY DREAD when I have to have my first bowel movement. I am hoping that this doesn’t become one of those horror stories but so far it has been. But on the bright side, it has only been about 6 hours post op. 

I will be updating this frequently so feel free to any questions. 

7 likes, 150 replies

150 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well, after the set back I had with the bleeding on day 10 (you can read about it on another post on here), I can say that on day 20 from original surgery and day 10 from second surgery, I am doing great. It wasn’t a progressive thing, I felt pretty bad on day 17 but by mid day on day 18 everything changed quick. I felt almost completely normal. As of right now I am pretty much able to do anything I did before the surgery, my pain level is way down to almost nothing, I do still have some pain after BM but nothing to really talk about and I do soak in the tub afterward as a precaution. There is still some swelling but that has gone WAY down and gets better every day.  I am hardly taking any pain meds. I am still gonna take it easy for a couple more weeks as far as strenuous activities go just as a precaution. I will not be updating this forum anymore but will check it every once in a while to answer any questions. 
  • Posted

I almost talked myself out of the procedure after reading different patient forums. 1 persons post convinced me to have it 3 days ago as he said he had it that way and never used pain pills and felt fine. I am in his boat!

So here is some good news to someone considering fissurectomy and hemroid removal. I had 2 tears and 2 hemroid. I started having pain issues with bowels a year ago, after csection. I finally went to doc and 1 attempt of hemroid banding worked for the 1 internal hemroid but the real issue was the anal tear and the expensive compound pharmacy cream didnt work, nor tea tree and coconut oil. However, I finally was healed of It! For 3 weeks no pain so I got off still softeners and was so happy but then my cycle time came. I dreaded the week of cycle as the constipation and bloating made the anal fissure worse and sure enough, I tore again. My cycle was due this week and I said nope, I cannot do this horrid pain every month. Doc said at this point it was chronic and surgery was done the next day, which was 3 days ago.

I was in pain and extreme dry mouth upon waking up. I just wanted ice and pain meds. I have the med log of everything they did from entry to surgery to exit but I'm too lazy to get the form but I know the pain meds started with a D and did not help. Ww tried hydrocodone at 230 amd that did it. I felt no pain lol. I woke up at noon and left facility at 3. I called uber to just drive me right after they gave me the hydrocodone. I only live 5 miles from facility so I just had uber turn around and drove myself home. Picked up kids meal chikfila. I could only eat 1 nugget and 1 fry. I went Thru 3 cups of their ice though. I dropped off pain meds and picked up the other meds doc called in.

I had a huge bm within hours of coming home. I was sooooo nervous. But it was all soft and no issues. I still felt numb from hydro. I went to work at 6pm. By the time I got off, that 1 hydro she came me at 2pm had wore off and I felt pain. But they told me only use pain meds as last resort as it'll make you constipated. So, it's been 3 days and thank God I haven't touched a pain pill. Only Tylenol and Motrin 2 times a day. I take the 1 antipiobitc but refuse to take the metal tasting flagyl.

My period was due this week but I'm so scared of how that will affect my great healing that I googled it and realized thousands of woman skip the inactive 7 day pills and start a new pack immediately to keep period free. I wish I had known that before as I'm certain that the extreme constipation the week of period is what made the fissure return months ago. So, thats my story. I had surgery Thursday, went to work Thursday. I was supposed to work Friday and today Saturday but I took off because my son's birthday party is today. I know all pain tolerance is different and I've had a lot of people praying so I just post this to encourage someone to not always think post op will be bad. My surgery unit prepared my in every way and I have countless faq forms they gave me. Friday, day after surgery I ate small bites of greens, peed, smothered turkey, macaroni. Enough to fit a small toddler plate, like 8 bites. I am taking the 2 stool softeners a day but not the Miralax as she said too much causes diarrhea and I've had soft bowels each day so I'm ok.

I feel pain when I need to pass gas actually. Like the pressure sitting there on top of anal area hurts. But once I pass it, I'm good. My doc and surgery unit were rated amazing and better be for the 4k I had to pay for deductible to be met.

I was hoping I'd lose some dogfone weight lol but not yet. Today I've just had a yogurt cup. I'll try a small plate of the greens, beans, cabbage later again. But I honestly am hungry but still scared to eat more than 4 or 5 bites a meal.

I'll keep you posted as days and weeks continue. Oh, doc said no creams and keep area dry. I bathe in morning and try to have a bowel movement before I bathe. So far it's been once a day right in morning. I blow dry butt area after I get out of shower. I know I need to up the water drinking asap so that's my main goal today and rest of recovery time.

With a 1 year old and 3 year old and teenager , I haven't had luxury of laying around so I've had to change diapers and cook and play at park these past 3 days and now birthday party. But, I can say when I do take the Tylenol I do want to take a nap and I doze off for an hour or 2 and I think that is my body forcing itself to recover.

• Posted

Guys Im 3 weeks post op, pain doesnt bother I guess it goes away on scale of nothing at all, 2 stitches fell off on the 2nd week, sorry to mention or to gross you out but im still discharging some brown leakage and I dont know if it was a pus but pretty felling...My doctor only gave me vitamins 1x a day and daflon 3x a day. I still have some wound and it itch after bm and clean ups, my concern is the other stiches still wont fell and these smelly discharge.. Im still using sanitary pads.. is someone experience the same? I appreciate any advice.Thank you.
    • Posted

yes I experienced the same thing. Im 2.5 week post opp and experience the same thing except I smelt fishy.I kept up with sitz bath with betadine & Epsom salt. My qeuestion did you have 2 big scalp like bulges back there that felt like something was moving back there & did the same when it itched from healing?

• Posted

I am now 17 days post op. I required 3 columns of internal and external hemorrhoids removed, with cauterization of the site afterward. I did a clear liquid diet and colonoscopy prep before hand, to postpone the initial bowel movement. Unfortunately I have had an unusual side effect of the anesthesia in that my sense of taste is almost completely gone. I also have a cotton mouth. This has made it just about impossible to get in any calories or solids. I have lost about 20 lbs post op and if I'm lucky I get in 500 calories a day; everything just tastes slimy and weird. I get hungry but can only drink fruit juices and I take in 2 protein shakes per day (dairy free due to other gut problems). One bite of normal food kills my appetite. In online forums there are a few patients with various kinds of surgeries who get this effect and all you can do is wait for it to improve; apparently it starts to get better after 2-4 weeks.For what it's worth, this has delayed resumption of normal bowel movements; I will pass small stools every few days because there is basically not much in there. I do not know if that has slowed my recuperation from the pain because bowel movements can still elicit excruciating pain. I have zero energy and I have just had to take off a 4th week from work, which is very worrying to me. All I can hope is that my sense of taste recovers.

One big problem I had is the surgery team was reluctant to prescribe adequate pain medication. I got a prescription for 20 oxycodone 5 mg and ibuprofen. They refused to refill anything; I wonder if they were following their protocol and wouldn't allow for outliers? I was able to get hydrocodone/tylenol 10 mg from a local doctor. I have slowly been weaning myself because I hate the drugged feeling but if the pain really kicks in and I did not intervene right away I may be fighting pain for more than 12 hours. 

The only good news is the pain is slowly abating. I am going for a 2 mile walk each day to build up stamina. I basically only use the hydrocodone once or twice a day now, depending on bowel movements. I use fiber supplements to keep stools soft. It is very important to get in enough water because dehydration makes stools harder. So far I have no great ideas how to improve my caloric intake.

My suggestions are to emphasize the sitz baths;I still use the tub for hygiene after stools, using the faucet like a bidet. A good soak15-20 min in hot water helps after stools or if I am otherwise uncomfortable. I try to avoid any other medications that affect bowel motility like benadryl or antihistamines. Ibuprofen, gabapentin and Tramadol don't do so much. I think my experience has been tough because of the very extensive surgery and my inability to get in normal food.

• Posted

Hi bas84, thanks for sharing. I had the same surgery (hemorrhoidectomy) about 3 weeks ago and the pain was out of this world,after I woke up from surgery I was having IV meds every 10mins which wasn't helping. I am still sore but getting better. FYI the hot water do gives u some relief of the pain..THE PAIN WAS WORST  THAN GIVING BIRTH 

• Edited

okay..i had my surgery on July 31st and it is now November, and Im finally comfortable talking about it. First off, I read this forum before surgery and i will go with the others and say PLEASE REALLY think about having this surgery before you actually do it. As my surgeon told me, it is the most painful surgery he knows of. I woke up screaming in pain post-op and morphine didnt even touch it. i had to go ti the ER multiple times because the pain meds werent even touching it. It truly feels like you have a rusty hot knife just shoved in your butthole sitting there..and theres spasms on top of that pain..which feels like 2 of those knives at once...and that pain lasted me 3 weeks. It still took about 5weeks just to sit properly. I couldnt sleep because of the pain. you cant cough, sneeze, stand/sit/lay, sit up or sit down, roll over, move in general...nothing. Anything i did HURT. i was in tears all day every day. I regretted it so much, i said it every day in tears. the worst part- i can NOT stress it enough...you NEED to poop after surgery. i went TWO WEEKS post-op without any poop...I was admitted to the hospital for 3 days to get me to go. they gave me EVERYTHING they had in the hospital laxative wise multiple times..nothing but extreme cramps the whole time. since i never pooed..my stitches were so tight, they couldnt even get a fingertip in. As the nurse told me the reason why you have to poop so often is one- they dont want you getting constipated becayse it makes it worse. But either way..soft poo still hurts BAD. But two, because when they stitch you when you have a BM each time it stretches your sphincter (inner and outer) so it DOESNT stay one size and making having a BM even harder. Just imagine your poo trying to go through a stitched hole smaller than your pinky. Which is why my butthole wouldn't even stretch enough for a fingertip..because i never went. The only thing that ended up working was an enema (just getting it put in HURT)...and with my butthole not even letting a finger tip in the pain was EXCRUCIATING. I screamed, i bled a ton, i ripped stitches, and i ended up passing out from the pain on the toilet. it was the most embarrassing time of my life between all the nurses and doctors (more than 20) coming in to check me out. Then having nurses fish through the toilet to make sure i got the impacted stool and everything out. thankfully my night nurse has had the surgery before and understood (she had it twice, because first time was botched). i can not stress it enough..POOP. it felt like surgery all over again. after that i was able to go normally...but after that up until 10wks post op, i screamed and cried when i had a BM. it took forever. it hurt so bad. i was always shaking. and so nauseous. i dreaded every morning when i had to go. 10-13wks it slowly got less painful and i still bleeding occasionally. now it doesnt hurt, but does take awhile at times. do NOT get constipated or it is horrid. stool softeners...DO NOT FORGET. go EVERY DAY. ive had 4 children, and i would go through childbirth again and again than to ever go through this pain again. it mentally took a toll on me. my butthole looks weird now lol. i had multiple internal and external and surgery was my last and only option..im only 28 but part of me wouldve rather dealt with them than have the surgery. if you REALLY need it...then do it. but if you have other options first, try those. my surgeon would only do it as a last resort because how painful it is. you WILL need help at home, and you will NOT be able to return to work at 2 weeks. im not doing this to scare anyone..but to prepare you. i read this forum pre-op and was scared, but it was nowhere near what i thought the pain was going to be. it was 100x worse. i couldn't pee the first 3 days because the pain, i had to stand in the shower for a half hour to pee. and to poo...if you have to stand in the hot shower or hot bath..do it. or in the sitz bath..do it. plenty of stool softeners, TONS of water, laxatives, pain meds galore, ice like crazy, hot/warm bath/sitz, lidocain, hemmoroid pillow to sit on. lidocain & ice before and after BM seemed to help a bit..but this was also 2.5wks post op. I did have to wear my kids diapers/pads at times because of incontinence..but that was only after my 1st BM after the hospital because the ripped stitches. After CTscan i was told i was backed up all the way through my colon, and about "a foot worth" of rock hard stool..but the smell..the smell of blood and stool is HORRID. HORRID. Stay home. The hardest part is the percocet is what backs you up, but you need so much and it barely covers the pain. I was double dosing and sooner than the recommended time..barely touched the pain. Expect your stitches to be hanging too. I had an internal one that just hung there until 10wks post-op. Do not touch it, it will come out with a BM eventually. Sorry this is so messy, my kids are going crazy and reliving this kindas hurts my heart. But if anyone has any questions, just needs support before or after, or just someone to talk to that understands (because honestly..family will say they do, but after awhile i just felt like a burden and it sucked complaining to people that just didnt get it)..feel free to email me any time. Because i wish i had it when i went through it. A friend meant well, and said she understood because she tore during birth..but it is nothing like that. At all. Email me, without the spaces, at:

Im an open book. If you just need someone to yell at or vent to,..Im here. But please...take all this advice. Dont overlook any of it. And REALLY think about it and make sure you have no other options. This surgery is no joke. You dont realize how much you really use your butt until you cant use it at all. Which is for everything. Have someone there who will help you. My amazing husband, bless his heart. Helped with my lidocain being put on, checked the incision sight, even helped trying to "break up" impacted stool (hence the fingertip- last chance before enema) after the 25 doses of diff laxatives (normal lax's, mag citrate, and even the giant jug gallon for colonoscopy prep..NOTHING helped just extreme cramps that brought me to tears.) Stood in there and wanted to hold my hand after enema, but i just couldnt. Its an embarrassing surgery..so have someone there to help you that youre comfortable with. Even if theyre not going to help you like "that", you will still need help. Oh and NO TOILET PAPER. Baby wipes or water.

Again...email me if needed.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Edited

Moderator: my apologies! first time in the forum (I've only read this page) and i was thinking more of helping before i thought about privacy..especially on a public forum anyone can see and use my contact information. so thank YOU. I also didnt know there was private messaging on the website, i guess i shouldve looked around first lol.

So yes, please, ANYONE looking for support/questions/to talk or vent..send me a private message.

• Posted

hey.... how long will it take to pass motion normally?? like without pain??

its been 4 days post op n its pains like hell 😦

• Posted

been week and 3 days post op and still a little pain not as bad only wen its soft BM if it's hard then hold on and pray lol but hang in there we all been there sucks yes pain yes but stick it out and were here to talk you vent if you need message me just eat soft things and stay on your water and stool softeners and no pushing wait till has to come out trust me it will weather u ready or not take sitz baths and you will be good

• Edited

thanks for the motivation.... seems i will be ok again...someday !! 😦

fingers crossed

• Posted

hey! wondering how your recovery is now? im on day 8 and suffering from constipation. even with metamucil and miralax/milk of mag the past 2 days, its not helping. i havent had my 2nd bm since 5 days ago and getting worried. i feel super backed up and it hurts so much down there bc something wants to come out but nothing will. just wondering if theres any tips for immediate relief from this. dreading having to go to er and hoping my bm will come!!

• Edited

thank you for this. i am 10 weeks post op and still in pain, bleeding, dreading everyday when i have to poop. i was told 4-6 weeks and itll be healed. i did have 7 (4 external and 3 internal). but its horrific. im constantly uncomfortable but have 3 little ones so i cant just rest. i take some comfort reading tbat someone else took this long to recover.

• Edited

well helle im MIchelle I just went through my hemorrhoidectomy 3 days ago im in so much pain im on 7.5 vicodin thats not working i have taken my xanax my norco 10s not helping my best friend is my bath tub Hot baths //////im so scared i have not had a BM yet ive taking stool softners no BM im scared to death this is the most pain ive ever been in !!!!!tomorrow is monday im calling my surgeon to get me better meds im suffering if i dont poop i will go to ER i guess im a wreck

• Edited

beka hi j know it's been 2 years but if you ever see this I'd love to talk to you! I feel like I'm all alone going thru this! extremely painful and stinging pain every time I go n bleeding 3 weeks after. when does this crap end????? what the hell is happening to me lol!! I'm starting to feel like I was butchered on not a surgical procedure!!! I've never had pain like this. my girlfriend I should say ex now didn't understand the pain n agony I was going thru thought I was being a baby and wouldn't wait for me to get better. I have Noone. my mom who's 75 she can't help dad has dementia so it's like Noone has any idea but me what it's like! anyway hope we can talk n ty for listening.. Craig

• Posted

I'm not sure how to use the private message thing yet. I'm supposed to be having surgery soon. They want a colonscope done first and that won't be till 2nd week of Sept. I just know I'm tired of hurting and bleeding all the time. I wish there was another way to take care of this.

• Posted

I wanted to send you a PM to ask you a few questions as I'm scheduled for my open hemorrhoidectomy this Thursday, although after reading your post, I'm literally SCARED TO DEATH and I'm contemplating canceling it !!!! I'm scheduled to have two operations that day, an open hemorrhoidectomy for these large bulky internal hemorrhoids and a Delorme procedure for a rectal prolapse. I must have this done as the "tissue" coming out, bleeding excessively, daily, really hurts, especially pushing it back inside. But I'll tell you, after reading about your experience, I'm wishing I hadn't read it. I expect it to be bad, really bad. But I won't be able to get thru a week of "cry your eyes out, pounding the floor on my hands and knees" kind of pain. I won't be able to handle that. I'll be looking "to suck on the end" of my brand new Kimber 9 MM if it's truly that intense. I'm so anxious and stressed out.

• Posted

I am scared of that too. I am still trying to figure out how to message, but honey, it is scary. I do not know if you have me confused with someone else cause I haven't had surgery yet. scared to death to do it!

• Posted

Yes yes yes yes yes. I'm four days in and some of what you wrote made me laugh and it hurt so much lol thank you for sharing this I really really needed to hear it

• Posted

How are you now? How did the rest of your recovery go?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.