Posted , 6 users are following.
Good afternoon..Here I am writing my IBS journey and what I hv learned through my personal experience.. If this might help someone in a little manner also, I will feel I did something right.
So I was diagnosed with IBS-predominantly constipation type around 9 months ago. Before that I had to go through so many tests and antibiotics courses as IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion.So once everything was rued out including my small intestinal biopsy result was non specific, I was given diagnosis of IBS for my symptoms like changing bowel habits between constipation and diarrhea, Bloating, feeling tired and muscle aches and also some unexplained rashes and trouble in concentrating and also couldn't control my anger( Yes that is a symptom)...I believe so many people might be going through the same or more who are suffering from IBS.
Concurrently, I was found severely deficient in vitamin D and vitamin B12 and also had moderate gastritis....So I was started on supplements...after which I felt GReat....But to my surprise I noticed that now I can not tolerate gluten...I was tested for gluten sensitivity also but the test came negative but somehow My intestine can not tolerate wheat and as soon as I eat Wheat I feel bloated and I hv to go to toilet to relieve my bloating...So At the time of my diagnosis I had those symptoms every day....But now I get it once in a few months...It has reduced significantly.....Now I will let you kw how...
So, First of all Thanks to my doctor who didn't even treat my symptoms of IBS but he also focused on treating me as a whole...As he was very well aware of the gut mind connection....So my doctor gave me one mild dose of anti depressant and advised me to have some yoga and meditation classes along with IBS treatment....For my constipation he prescribed me ISABGOL...very effective...It helped me a lot in my constipation and I still take it...It is very safe to take...and some anti spasmodic...
Guys, I am a medical student and may be I was overly sensitive towards my illness and the medications I was taking and I knew there is no absolute cure for IBS in allopathy as it was all symptomatic Rx, I decided to go to Ayurvedic doctor....And whatever the medicine I was prescribed by my Ayurvedic doctor, It did wonder for me... I still have 1 year course of those medications left....But I am feeling well now...well I was advised to eat anything I like but I didn't feel good after eating wheat so I still avoid it and try to experiment with my food....
So few things I have learned through my illness especially IBS and also helped me in my illness;
1. stay happy and keep your mind calm..Do yoga/ meditation...(As there is connection between gut and mind)
2. Antidepressant does help as it contains serotonin which is common chemical in brain and gut.
3.keep your vitamins level in appropriate range.( It helps with the energy)
4. Be mindful what you eat...your body will tell you what it likes and doesn't like you just need to pay attention after eating...If u eat something and after eating feel good and your mood is elevated then that food is good for you and If you feel down after eating certain foods avoid those food...your body doen't like it...you just have to be mindful you will know immediately. I prefer to Eat every 2 hourly that provides me energy to go through the day joyfully.
5. Isabgol is wonderful for relieving constipation. Don't take it during diarrhea episode.
6. Take good care of your gut's healthy bacteria..they are also your family..This is very important for any gut related issue or so many other illnesses... we don't pay much attention to it and take it for granted...but not now...So eat yogurt everyday, if it is not contraindicated like lactose intolerance etc.
7. I am myself a medical student and I do believe in medicines but with my personal experience I hv realized that we are more responsible for betterment of ourselves than our doctors...Stay informed and change your lifestyle...Total lifestyle change is the key.
I am writing this article because when I was in dilemma about my diagnosis, I went through so many forums finding answers and searching for people who was suffering from the same illness...Reading about complains and their solutions gave me relief and I could find my life again ,back on the track...so I think I owe those people who take time to write on these kind of forums and gave us strength...
I wish these things which I have learned through my experience might help those who are in same situation where I was 9 months before. whatever I have written might seem very simple but believe me It is helping me tremandously...hope that helps you too..
1 like, 29 replies