My IBS journey and what I hv learned from my personal experience

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good afternoon..Here I am writing my IBS journey and what I hv learned through my personal experience.. If  this might help someone in a little manner also, I will feel I did something right.

So I was diagnosed with IBS-predominantly constipation type around 9 months ago.  Before that I had to go through so many tests and antibiotics courses as IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion.So once everything was rued out including my small intestinal biopsy result was non specific, I was given diagnosis of IBS for my symptoms like changing bowel habits between constipation and diarrhea, Bloating, feeling tired and muscle aches and also some unexplained rashes and trouble in concentrating and also couldn't control my anger( Yes that is a symptom)...I believe so many people might be going through the same or more who are suffering from IBS.

Concurrently, I was found severely deficient in vitamin D and vitamin B12 and also had moderate gastritis....So I was started on supplements...after which I felt GReat....But to my surprise I noticed that now I can not tolerate gluten...I was tested for gluten sensitivity also but the test came negative but somehow My intestine can not tolerate wheat and as soon as I eat Wheat I feel bloated and I hv to go to toilet to relieve my bloating...So At the time of my diagnosis I had those symptoms every day....But now I get it once in a few months...It has reduced significantly.....Now I will let you kw how...

So, First of all Thanks to my doctor who didn't even treat my symptoms of IBS but he also focused on treating me as a whole...As he was very well aware of the gut mind connection....So my doctor gave me one mild dose of anti depressant and advised me to have some yoga and meditation classes along with IBS treatment....For my constipation he prescribed me ISABGOL...very effective...It helped me a lot in my constipation and I still take it...It is very safe to take...and some anti spasmodic...

Guys, I am a medical student and may be I was overly sensitive towards my illness and the medications I was taking and I knew there is no absolute cure for IBS in allopathy as it was all symptomatic Rx, I decided to go to Ayurvedic doctor....And whatever the medicine I was prescribed by my Ayurvedic doctor, It did wonder for me... I still have 1 year course of those medications left....But I am feeling well now...well I was advised to eat anything I like but I didn't feel good after eating wheat so I still avoid it and try to experiment with my food....

So few things I have learned through my illness especially IBS and also helped me in my illness;

1. stay happy and keep your mind calm..Do yoga/ meditation...(As there is connection between gut and mind)

2. Antidepressant does help as it contains serotonin which is common chemical in brain and gut.

3.keep your vitamins level in appropriate range.( It helps with the energy)

4. Be mindful what you eat...your body will tell you what it likes and doesn't like you just need to pay attention after eating...If u eat something and after eating feel good and your mood is elevated then that food is good for you and If you feel down after eating certain foods avoid those food...your body doen't like it...you just have to be mindful you will know immediately. I prefer to Eat every 2 hourly that provides me energy to go through the day joyfully.

5. Isabgol is wonderful for relieving constipation. Don't take it during diarrhea episode.

6. Take good care of your gut's healthy bacteria..they are also your family..This is very important for any gut related issue or so many other illnesses... we don't pay much attention to it and take it for granted...but not now...So eat yogurt everyday, if it is not contraindicated like lactose intolerance etc.

7. I am myself a medical student and I do believe in medicines but with my personal experience I hv realized that we are more responsible for betterment of ourselves than our doctors...Stay informed and change your lifestyle...Total lifestyle change is the key.

I am writing this article because when I was in dilemma about my diagnosis, I went through so many forums finding answers and searching for people who was suffering from the same illness...Reading about complains and their solutions gave me relief and I could find my life again ,back on the track...so I think I owe those people who take time to write on these kind of forums and gave us strength...

I wish these things which I have learned through my experience might help those who are in same situation where I was 9 months before.       whatever I have written might seem very simple but believe me It is helping me tremandously...hope that helps you too..biggrin

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI how are you finding your antidepressant, what mg are you on
    • Posted

Hi susan...I am under the care of RPN from psychiatry department...She prescribes me whatever My physician thought right for me...I am taking T.sertraline(50mg) once a day.
  • Posted

Just ordered Isabgol we'll see how it works.  I'm also looking for a Ayurvedic doctor.

• Posted

Hi albert I really wish that works for you...let me know after using it, how do you feel..and all the best for your searchbiggrin
  • Posted

Vitamin B12 can also cause mood changes and problems with concentrating as well as IBS causing it.  However, being a medical student, you will know the signs of B12 deficiency anyway.  So you will have had a double whammy of these symptoms!

My IBS was brought under control by my diagnosis.  My symptoms were at their height before it was identified because no one could help and it triggered severe health anxiety.  I learned to laugh more and to avoid stress when possible.  I take Buscopan occasionally which is very mild and avoid strong medications like anti depressants which would be too harsh for me because I have a hyper sensitivity to prescribed medications. 

• Posted

Hi pippa you are absolutely right that vitamin b12 deficiency can cause mood changes..But I had before and after levels..and it dropped suddnely, so in acute setting it is less likely....I also had health anxiety and it came down with my diagnosis..But I am happy that you are copping with it well without any anti depressants...Hope you stay in good health and guide us if anything...

Well having a IBS has changed my perspective towards life..although had to suffer but now I see it as a bliss not a curse...because what I am living right now is better than what I had even before IBSbiggrin

• Posted

Before my IBS, I was far too serious and didn’t laugh as much and I was often anxious.  Since I know that anxiety will trigger my IBS, I try to lampoon commotions in my life and it takes the heat out of stressful situations.
    • Posted

Hi Pippa...It is nice to know that you are a writer, My writing skills are not that goodcheesygrin..But you are absolutely right, It is a vicious cycle of Anxiety and IBS..So if we can control one of them, We can control both..biggrin
    • Posted

I’ve had a bit of stress recently because of losing gloves that I had just bought and they completely disappeared before I got them home.  I then left clothes repairs behind in the police station where I had gone to check on my gloves.  At least I got  my clothes repairs back.  However, I was lucky and this time, my IBS didn’t flare up.  I ordered new gloves on ebay which were more elaborate than the ones I lost!
    • Posted

Hi pippa sorry for your gloves...But the good point is, you can handle your stress well and so you are not getting your flare ups now...Happy to know that and we also should learn from that...Keep inspiring us..We need more people like youbiggrin and in the end whatever happens, happens for goodcool

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.