My life as I used to know it

Posted , 11 users are following.

Please help. I need advice. I was diagonsed with Graves' disease two months ago and newly on the road to recovery. I noticed a huge change in moods and suddenly I lost all desire to live a life like I used to. For two months now my labs have been in not all range, but I am very emotional. It is hard to justify a rational thought from irrational. The future seems so scary and I literally can't handle anything anymore. Has this happened to anyone even after their levels were normal? Any advice you can give me please. I am losing hope.

Thank you

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I feel like this too. I felt dreadful when diagnosed, then after a few weeks I started to feel better. However, once my levels went into the lower range of normal, I started to feel bad again. Then I got neutropenia and my carbimazole has been reduced to 5mg. I felt better again at first but now feel worse than I ever did. I have severe emotional turmoil and cannot cope with the slightest bit of stress. I ache all over, feel nauseous and am back to having no appetite. I have just rung the docs to have my next bloods brought forward because I think I am hyperthyroid again, or something else is very wrong. I have an active job caring for horses (luckily at home) but most the time I have to sit down and am going to bed by 8pm each niight. Not to sleep (because I can't without sleeping pills), but just to rest and get away from eeverything. The other night I found myself googling painless ways to kill yourself. So it's pretty bad right now.

• Posted

oh my god, I am at the doctors on Thursday for a blood test to see if i have a Over active thyroid and im only 18 rolleyes I know its not a life threatening disease but it is pretty sh*t. If i am having a bad day and something annoys/irritates me, thats it i will just blow up and start crying but i wont know what im crying about. Im worried about this as I am only 18 and could cause infertility which I dont want for my future. Is there any advice on this?

• Posted

oh god i hope you are ok evergreen!

BTW im Jess and im 18. I need some help and advice!

Im at the doctors on Thursday for a blood test to see if i have a Over active thyroid. My mam has a underactive, my auntie has a underactive but got it removed (mams sister), My grandad has a underactive thyroid (mams dad) and my gran has a over active (mams mam). These are the symtoms I get:

Mood swings: Irritated/angry/hyper/nervous. One day i could be feeling fine and the next i would be so irritated by something or angry and would start crying over nothing and become VERY emotional!

Sweat: I get very sweaty under the arms (sometimes especially after a bath) and the palms of my hands would be sweaty too.

Weight: Some days i would look like I have a flat stomach and another day I would look bloated.

Hyperactivity: I would be very hyper over nothing all and would need to squeeze something (strange i know)

Appetite: I dont really each much to start with but I could go maybe 3/4 whole days without food. I would not be hungry until about 7/8 at night (i wouldnt be startving just a little hungry)

Irritated: If something isnt going right (makeup,hair) I would sit in the mirror and cry and probiles punch the mirror

Also, do blood tests hurt as I HATE needles. And are these symptoms of a Over active thyroid? Please help!! xx

• Posted

No, blood tests don't hurt. Just the slightest prick and you don't notice the rest. Just look away. I have had a blood test every two weeks for months. One week I had three! No problem at all.

Your symptoms do sound very typical of hyperthyroid. Many people think you eat more when you are hyper, but I am the opposite. I can hardly eat a thing, and like you, I eat best later in the day. I don't have such a problem after around 6 pm. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Posted

Thankyou! I absolutely hate needles and I work full time too, would I need to keep going to doctors for check ups (thats if i have a thyroid problem) and is hyperthyroid the same as a overactive thyroid can I ask? and I dont think you do eat more when your hyper, I think it should be less (like me and you) because your body is that revved up and ready to go that you dont feel hunger, if that makes sense o.o and yes I will do thanks! 
    • Posted

Yes, hyperthyroid means overactive thyroid, and hyPOthyroid means underactive thyroid. Good luck. If your tests show a thyroid problem, you will have to go for blood tests every 3-4 weeks or even every two weeks to begin with, but then it will reduce to every 3 months, so not that bad.
    • Posted

I always got confused with the different names they have and oh god, I will have to let work know as this could affect my employment 
    • Posted

Hi evergreen! I am so sorry you have been feeling down. May I ask how long you have been feeling this way? Just remember it always does get better
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with clinical depression over 5 years ago and put on various anti depressants, one of which (mirtazapine) I was on for 4 years. Throughout all this I was convinced my mental problems were caused by a physical condition, but no one would listen. Finally I took myself off the mirt and was hit once again by severe loss of appetite, weight loss and anxiety amongst all the other symptoms the mirt was concealing. Finally got a new GP who was amazing, and that's whe I got diagnosed with Graves. I felt amazing a few weeks after starting on the carbimazole both mentally and physically, but this only lasted two weeks, then I felt awful again despite being told my levels are within normal range. The problem is that the ranges are very wide and you body has its own level it wants to be at. If it isn't that exact level, then you will feel lousy. Doctors seem so pleased when they get you within the normal range, but we know as patients that they need to listen more to us and find that 'sweet spot'. We are not fixed until that is found and we can be kept there.

• Posted

Our stories are so similar. I'm waiting for my TT now, should be in October. It took years for the doctors to diagnose me, meanwhile I'm on sertraline because all I had was an anxiety disorder, according to all the docs. I now have graves and a multi modular thyroid. Anxiety is by far my worst symptom

• Posted

Yes, anxiety is just awful. It stops you being able to live your life. I hope that they manage to get you sorted. It is such a long old struggle,
  • Posted

Hi Tricia,

Im Jessica and im a 18 year old female,

I am at the docs on Thursday for a blood test to see if I have a overactive thyroid. Some days I feel fine and on top of the world but the next i could be irritated by the smallest thing and coudl cry over nothing but I just need to cry because it feels better. 

I know i am only 18 but in school I used to be VERY hyperactivity and the popular one you know but now I can't really be bothered to go out with friends etc, I know it sounds bad but thats what has happened.

What other symptoms do you have?

Jess smile

• Posted

Hi Jessie. When I originally got blood tested I went to the doctor for anxiety. I had a resting heart rate around 120 and I was always shaking. I usually fluctuate within 20 pounds now. I also way ALWAYS sweating. I have racing thoughts. I feel like my brain NEVER stops. I then went hypo after medicine and felt freezing, tired, and cried all the time. My labs have been normal for two months now but have went to the low range of normal. I felt fine until about a week ago and now the irrational thoughts are back. I keep praying they will go away soon. Good luck at your apt. Keep us posted!
    • Posted

Thanks Tricia, I will let yous all know how it goes tomorrow around 2 oclock in the afternoon, fingers crossed! 
    • Posted

I have just been for my blood test and it didn't hurt but i nearly fainted, felt light headed and dizzy but all well! Get my results back on Monday so I will keep yous updated smile

• Posted

That's both anxiety and if you are hyper, then it makes it worse. Well done for getting through it though. Let us know the results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.