My life as I used to know it

Posted , 11 users are following.

Please help. I need advice. I was diagonsed with Graves' disease two months ago and newly on the road to recovery. I noticed a huge change in moods and suddenly I lost all desire to live a life like I used to. For two months now my labs have been in not all range, but I am very emotional. It is hard to justify a rational thought from irrational. The future seems so scary and I literally can't handle anything anymore. Has this happened to anyone even after their levels were normal? Any advice you can give me please. I am losing hope.

Thank you

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Please don't lose hope Tricia. Your irrational and scary thoughts are down to the disorder, these will go when your labs become more normal. I cannot tell you how crazy I was each time I went hyper. You will live like you used to. It can take a little time to get your labs normal, but they will get better. Keep chatting on here to people who can empathise with your situation.

• Posted

Did you feel this way even after your labs became normal? I have been in normal range for two months now and I still feel like I do not know what are real thoughts vs crazy. I do know, I am much better than I was when I was extremely hypo. I was just curious if right when your numbers became normal, if it still took your body time to adjust (your mind, thoughts).

Please let me know! 

• Posted

Sorry you are feeling unwell. Yes, I have felt like that and have also been surprised when my levels were not off much. It is frustrating but I found empowered by knowledge that's why I think I've read almost every book out there regarding Graves. It's also amazing how many people are dealing with this autoimmune disease and continue to live full lives. Hang in there.

• Posted

Do you have any books you would  recommend   me to read?
  • Posted

Thank you everyone! I have had a few good months and then this time I thought for sure my labs would be off but they were all in normal range. I still fluctuate but it is within normal. This has been for two months. I still have a lot of hope because I remember how I felt two weeks ago and keep thinking I will get back there. It's just hard when your labs come back normal and you feel like this. I can't seem to figure out my thoughts. If they are real, fake or just my brain tricking me! Luckily I have a wonderful support system, a wonderful church and I talk a lot. I feel I retell the same story weekly but I just need to talk to people.

It is great to hear that others have had the same symptoms as it makes me think I'm not going as crazy as I thought. I am thankful for this group! It really helps talking to people who know what you are going through!

• Posted

I agree Tricia71710! Talking to others who feel your pain is the best medicine!
  • Posted

Oh yeah. I felt the same way. But one day last week I decided I can't be sad, depressed. I can't let this disease ruin my life. I felt normal for like 2 days. Today I was crying again. I think changing your diet, exercise, and praying may help a lot. Is the irrational decisions, thinning hair and one eye larger than the other that are also hurting me. I heard essential oils help. Lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus etc. And I heard chamomile tea helps you sleep. I hope we find the answer.

• Posted

Oh, so sorry. Hope you will feel better soon. I personally felt somewhat better when I decided I was not going to take it lying down. I also firmly believe in the power of prayer.
  • Posted

Make sure you  have a good endo. Doc then examine you age and maybe if you're perimenopausal start taking evening primrose oil tabs as a great hormonal balance for mood swings recommend 1350mg twice a day keep up with vitamin D and calcium follow a good diet rich in protein and veggies, exercise like walking and yoga 

hang in there xoxoxxox

• Posted

Hi everyone

I can identify with each and everyone of you. ATM I am feeling pretty manky.

Talking to people going through the same is good therapy because IMO it makes one feel 'normal' again. I have been to A and  today due to abdominal pain and diarrhoea. I would not have needed to have gone if the GP had deigned to speak to me on the phone and offerd some modecum of support and empathy even reassurance!.

I am feeling more and more cut off. I understand that a feeling of social isolation is just one of the multiple signs and symptoms of this extremely viscious disorder.

It seems that not even doctors especially endocrinologists can get to grips with this disorder be it hypo or hyper.So if these drs are having a problem dealing with this as a condition how can they help us? All in all a thyroid condition is a very poorly understood condition.  

• Posted

I had a huge goiter diagnosed with Graves Disease at age 18, I'm 36 yrs old now. I've lived with depression and severe anxiety as long as I can remember. I've always been emotional and not able to hold jobs or function normally. My levels are never normal range. I take levothyroxine which obviously doesn't work. I just get by and sometimes I feel better than other times. It's very confusing but don't give up. I'm currently on a mission to fix myself one way or the other. Stay positive if you can and get with a "good endo doctor" if there is one. I have to find one too. Im in the US.

• Posted

Diagnosed with Graves in March of 2016  I was totally sick for what felt like 3 months.  While I made it to work daily, every other moment was on the couch.  I had zero energy, looked completely pale, & felt so incredibly sick.  My doc did blood work and immediately sent me to an endo where I had a throat scan and a Radioactive Iodine Uptake test.  Graves disease.  I decided on Methimazole (20MG) to start.  Within 90 days I cut back to 10MG, now working on cutting back to 5MG.  I feel Great most of the time!  I take lots of vitamins - D, B12, Calcium, C, Probiotics.  I try to eat a gluten free diet and walking is my new exercise.  I'm doing almost everything I did before and most days forget I have Graves aside from taking a pill.  I haven't gained much weight but every time I feel I might be going Hypo, I reach out to my endo to adjust my medication level.  Hoping to get to 5MG every other day.  It gets better!!  Hang in there!!  My biggest challenge is managing stress levels and heat.  Heat takes me down!      

• Posted

The heat and stress are my two worse enemies also! I still lack the energy I once had before my diagnosis but as you said, hang in there; it does improve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.