My life is torture, had stomach issues for 3 years with continuous visits to the GP

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have had severe stomach issues for 3 years with no answers from the GP after continuous visits. My stomach always swells out and is extremely uncomfortable, forced burps for minimum relief happen almost every second of the day and pains and discomfort in my shoulders chest neck back and hips are also very frequent and it feels all connected. I got intolerance tested and it came up dairy and eggs and i have been on a diet without them for months and still no improvement. My stomach swells after every meal regardless of what i eat. I went 3 months without any alcohol and still was no improvement. I have tried omezaprazole for years with no success, i am currently on buscopan and colofac with little to no success in improvement of symptoms. It really has ruined my life and i have no idea what to do next. It feels like im surviving rather than living. Any help or ideas on what this could be would be so appreciated. Thanks- Jordan

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Try a food diary to see what other foods may be the problem other than dairy. What other causes has your doctor suggested other than your food intolerances and what other tests have been done?For example, have you had an endoscopy and ultrasound?Has your gallbladder function been tested via HIDA scan? Shoulder blade and back pain can occur with gastritis and gallbladder problems. Have you had any change of bowel habit?

• Posted

It literally happens regardless of what i eat, i have tried to upload a video but it doesn't seem to be working. I had an endoscopy last June which only revealed very mild gastritis which they thought would be due to alcohol consumption. I eliminated it completely and went to a healthy diet consisting of chicken/fish and rice and vegetables most days. I also feel like there are small holes in my throat in which gas comes out of but my GP didn't think that would be possible. I haven't had a ultrasound or a HIDA scan. My bowel habits fluctuate between being extremely constipated and complete diarrhoea there really isn't an inbetween. It really has taken over my life.

• Posted

Gastritis can leave your stomach sensitive even if it heals up. Food triggers with gastritis are common and can be difficult to pinpoint so still try a food diary to see if there is a pattern. You may also have IBS along with gastritis. IBS can also cause food triggers. Look at the Low Fodmap diet designed for IBS and ask your doctor about Irritable Bowel. Bowel habit change is also a symptom of IBS.

• Posted

Have you seen a gastroenterologist yet?

You could ask them about a gastric emptying study, which is used to determine if your stomach is experiencing delayed (or rapid) gastric emptying, which can be pretty uncomfortable.

• Posted

Sorry to hear this Jordan, I also have the same symptoms as you do. My stiffness in my neck and shoulders is daily. Recently my knee cap has been stiff and its been awkward stand up at times. All of my muscle stiffness is on my left side only. I also get bloated after every meal (more so when I stand up) and my burbs give me no relief. It feels more like I'm having hiccups and burping at the same time...about 3-5 belches back to back. I have had an colonoscopy, endoscopy, capsule swallowing, gastric emptying test, SIBO and an H-Pylori test which all came up negative. My Gastro says he feels depressed because he can not find out what is wrong with me and will discuss my issue with his colleagues and get back to me. He wants to see me back in 3 months! I have a appt with my pcp on Thursday. My pharmacist thinks it could be a liver problem. I'm going to ask for a liver and a pancreas test next. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully we can find help soon, so frustrating!

• Posted

hi there, im in a very similar situation. bloated after every meal with abdominal pains, alternating changes in toilet habits, stiffness all down my right side only- including shoulder, chest, back. ive also lost a lot of weight- about 2 stone from 12 to 10 and cannot put a single pound on despite having plenty of calories- have either of you had weight loss too?

ive had all the usual gastro tests plus liver and pancreas tests and scans and everything looks normal.

i did have a low pancreas enzyme stool tesy result but this occurred after my weight loss and the medication im on for this is having no effect on my symptoms and is being retested as it may be a red herring. my gastro wants this to be the answer as he hasnt got a clue what else it could be (and doesnt seem to care either).

For me, all of this started a week after i had 2 wisdom teeth removed. all the conventional doctors ive seen dont think there is a link, but i struggle to see how it cant be connected, i was really fit and healthy before.

x

• Posted

Were your wisdom teeth infected before they were removed. It sounds like IBS if nothing else is showing up. Maybe you have post infectious IBS. I would say if your symptoms came on a week after dental surgery, there is a connection. My IBS came on two months after a botched blood test. My doctor recognised the connection. Ask about IBS.

• Posted

Back pain is common with IBS. When you had your wisdom teeth out, the surrounding nerves in your mouth may have been disturbed and the pain from that may be referring to your shoulder.

• Posted

thanks pippa. no my teeth were not infected before they were removed. they were impacted and facing sideways with some minor discomfort hence why the dentist recommended the removal- but they werent infected. and the pain was nothing compared to what ive been going theough the last 6 months since with the abdominal problems. the referred pain would make sense, all my symptoms began at that same time so in my mind it cannot be coincidence x

• Posted

A lot of people find dental work stressful; the stress of your dental extractions may have triggered stress related IBS. It doesn't take much to upset your gut. Even if you didn't feel anxious or stressed with your dental work, these things can still put stress on your body because it has to do extra work to recover and heal from the procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.