My LS is getting worse what more can i try

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have been diagnosed with LS 12 months ago. Flairs happens definately around ovulating times. im 54 years of age. what more can i try

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ann - Ask your doc about Tacrolimus. While the steroids help, Tacrolimus, for me, has been a game changer. It is prescription and can be used WITH your steroid...but I would strongly recommend you talk with your doc about it.

• Posted

Snap, I went to a dermatologist office (where all 3 docs deal with gyn issues...not easy to find). I was prescribed the Tac but my insurance won't cover it because they say it is only approved for Lichen Planus. The doc is sending in an appeal with an article showing it is effective for LS. Otherwise it can be made up at a compounding pharmacy in PA for close to $70.

Were you the person that said it could lower your resistance to other gyn problems? I asked and the doc said just the opposite, though what you said made more sense to me.

• Posted

Bev - If you can afford it, I'd say it is worth the $70. I started using it around 1st of July and haven't even used 1/10 of the tube (large tube). And the benefit has been ENORMOUS! Took about a month to get past initial side effects...a really wierd hotness and then itching...but well worth sticking it out. I'm not in the process of weaning down to a minimum/maintenance dose of both the tac and steroid. Doc said my skin looks "normal".

Tac was developed as a drug to help reduce rejection of organ transplants...it is an immune modulator (as opposed to an immune suppressant). Of course, in those uses it is both IV and oral. In this use, it is just topical. I wouldn't presume to say whether to use it if you have other gyn issues...but I have had such a positive experience, I hope others can also benefit.

• Posted

Thanks. I do plan to order it if my insurance won't cover it. I should know soon. Can't say I am looking forward to hotness and itching, but I don't like using the steroid so often (although my buzzing symptom has suddenly lessened a lot so am back to twice a week usage). I have never had itching, thankfully. My vulva was getting very red though which concerned me. The derm said it wasn't too bad, but I can't imagine what she thinks is bad.

• Posted

Bev - The "hotness" is not what I would call burning, it's like your sitting on a heating pad (and only for an hour or so each time). The itching is sort of like, gee, I wonder if I'm getting yeast (but not like, oh darn, I have yeast). So, not too bad, really. I had a streak of red that wouldn't go away, and then, whamo...it was gone after about 6 wks of tacro.

I hope you have the same kind of outcomes...I feel fortunate that my doc prescribed it.

• Posted

what precisely did you use is it called tac. what did you use just one tube or did you use something else with it.

• Posted

was it tac and steriod. what is the steriod called

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.