My Mono Journey

Posted , 8 users are following.

Let me preface by saying I am SO happy I found this forum!

I am a (normally) active 34-yr-old female, married with a 4-yr-old. I run a small farm as well as a home business. At the end of October 2017, I felt like I came down with something: swollen, painful nodes in the throat, fever, chills, upset stomach, and just generally feeling terrible. I knew something viral was going on, even though I thought the lack of respiratory symptoms was strange. I slowly began to feel a little better after a few days, and then had a relapse of the same symptoms a week later. Again, I slowly felt better, and was able to carry on with life, pretty much as normal for the month of November, although I noticed a lack of energy and strength, and something just didn't seem quite right. There was this unexplained anxiety that I just couldn't shake. In early December I was hit with a normal head cold, and i noticed the nodes in my neck swell up again, and I just couldn't seem to bounce back after the cold. I was also beginning to feel sore under my ribs. I finally went to the clinic to get checked out. The initial blood test was negative for Mono (the one that tests for an active infection), so the nurse said I had just been hit with a series of viral infections, and to rest and drink lots of fluids. That weekend I felt increasingly worse. All of the lymph nodes in my upper abdomen were inflamed, and I felt so sick I could barely eat. I made an appointment to get checked out a second time, and was absolutely terrified of what they would find. X-rays of spleen and liver were normal, but they felt enlarged (and SOOO tender!!!) when she palpated. They drew blood again and ran an EB titer. She was pretty sure that Mono was the culprit. I waited an agonizing 4 days for the results, which came up positive. I was relieved, since I was convinced I was dying, lol. After two straight weeks of dividing my time between the couch and the bed, I started to feel a lot better. So I foolishly thought I was well enough to start taking walks and hikes and doing farm work again. Stupid mistake! That week of activity caused me to crash hard, and this week has been rest, rest and more rest. I've learned the hard way that I am NOT good at resting! So here are my current symptoms, for those curious:

- fatigue (of course)

- anxiety

- depression

- painful nodes under ribs and armpits (the ones in my throat stopped hurting about a month ago)

- sometimes the nodes in my abdomen randomly spasm. It's so bizarre! I call it the alien baby, lol

- occasional headaches

- occasional poor appetite

- achy neck

- tingling extremities

- chills

- difficulty sleeping

Most of my symptoms seem pretty consistent with other members of the forum, but the one that caused me to find this forum is the ANXIETY. I've had anxiety in the past that could be easily explained by circumstances or hormonal state, but have never experienced anything like this before. It's like a heavy blanket of fog that clouds every thought and turns it negative. It seems unanimous that this is a symptom of the virus itself, so I find that reassuring, even though it's no less miserable.

Of course, the number one thing that helps is REST. Rest, rest, rest. (I feel like I've watched everything on Netflix and Hulu, lol.) I've also been taking vitamins and probiotics, and have ordered a few more - astralagus root and vitamin C (for immune support), and an herbal mixture to target the anxiety.

I also find that taking a warm soak in a tub with epsom salt helps ease the symptoms.

I'm fortunate that my husband's work schedule is flexible this time of year, and he only works a few miles away. My parents also live next door, so I have plenty of help with chores and child care. I'm just hoping that I am able to take over again by the spring, when everyone else's schedules become busy again.

I'm thankful for the rest of you who are on here sharing your experiences and encouraging one another. Hopefully my story will help in some small way. 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi! I've had anxiety all of my life so for me it's hard to pinpoint that it's the mono making it worse. Mine started in November of 2017. I still feel nauseous and lack of appetite but it's not all the time. It's so strange, it always make me so concerned that it's something else and not the mono. I also get off and on chills. I feel like this all happens more when I go out and stay up late and drink. So I'm going to try to cut that all out and see how I feel. It's all so unerving!

I've definitely read a lot of posts about mono and anxiety. And sometimes when anxiety starts for any reason, it's so hard to shake it because it really gets in your head. For lack a of better way of describing it! 

I hope you better soon! We have to really force ourselves to rest! 

• Posted

Also occasionally I feel like my under arm glands and groin get slightly inflamed. I wonder if sometimes this all happens again when we are fighting off other virus'?

• Posted

Yes, the anxiety seems to be a vicious cycle. It's hard to tell whether the mono is causing the anxiety or the anxiety is making the symptoms worse! Seems to be a bit of both. It definitely doesn't help anything!

I've noticed that my glands flare up anytime I overdo it. For me it's mostly the glands in my upper torso and armpits. Take care of yourself, and I hope you start feeling better soon!

• Posted

I had extreme anxiety at first too, I had to fly for 9 hours and the entire flight I was convinced that we were going to crash, even though I've never had any fear of flights before.I also was extremely anxious while using public transportation.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing this. I’ve just recently been diagnosed - I was pushing myself prior to this thinking it was a cold and anxiety - and my anxiety is just off the charts with all these symptoms. I constantly feel like I’m dying. So, if nothing else, it is so reassuring to hear others on a similar journey. 
  • Posted

Hi Phacelia,

Thanks so much for sharing your story, and I really do feel your pain having gone through a similar experience with the virus about 10-11 years ago. It was a relief for me too after many weeks of not feeling at all right to get a diagnosis and explanation, but then of course it still doesn't help in how you're feeling and getting through the horrible symptoms and experience.

I just want to reassure you that things do get better, I took ill in October too (for some strange reason it seems to be more common to occur in the autumn), and those first 3-4 months through to January I'd say were by far the worst - you won't have to go through a worse period than that and things do get better. It still took me a number of months after that but the intensity lessend and eventually your body does make a full recovery, I really do want to reassure you of that Phacelia because I know when you're going through it, it really doesn't seem or feel that way!

It's so understandable to experience anxiety during the illness. I know I did and it certainly takes some confidence away. It will come back as things get better Phacelia, it plays so many tricks on your mind and feelings just because of all the weird and horrible symptoms and its longevity.

Things that helped me included taking some vitamins and herbs, including a good strong multi-vitamin per day, high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), a B complex supplement (really good for the nervous system, energy levels and stress) and/or Co-enzyme Q10, enough Vitamin D and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and/or echinicea. They certainly can help your body be strengthened to deal with the extra stress the body its put under.

You definitely hit the nail on the head about getting rest - I think a common mistake lots of people make is to keep ploughing on, it's understandable when you don't know how the virus often goes, but it usually just makes people feel more exhausted and then have to rest extra later on - so you're doing all the right things! Just finding balance between doing some manageable / smaller things and getting enough rest and removing stress as much as possible is a big help.

Most important of all, I do believe you are going to make a FULL recovery given time Phacelia, take it from me as someone who went through all the same symptoms and horrible fears and anxiety. Thinking about you and believing God will bring healing in your life. Just take things slowly and cope with one day at a time is all you can do when going through it. Hang in there!

Craig

• Posted

Thank you so much for the encouragement, Craig! This is definitely unlike any illness I have experienced before.
    • Posted

Hang in there Phacelia, things will get better with this, for sure.

Craig

• Posted

I have experienced a great deal of these symptoms along with more! I am at 2 1/2 months and still struggling but beginning to have some good days here and there. Keep your head up and just know that it is a really nasty virus! I have learned not to push myself and to rest after a little while even if I don't feel the need to. Take a multivitamin along with vitamin c (1,000 mg at least) and b 12 helps as well!! Praying for your recovery. 

• Posted

Thank you so much, Christina! I'll be adding vitamin C to my supplement regimen. I get tired of popping pills, but I tell myself it's not like I've got much else to do right now, lol. Thanks!

• Posted

After another two-week slump with the mono, I was starting to feel better again. But then we had to put our beloved family dog of 11 years to sleep this week. sad. Having such a difficult time processing the grief in this stupid, viral-induced hyper-emotional state. Even the physical act of crying HURTS.

I know things are bound to get better eventually, but MAN has life been hard, lately. sad 

• Posted

Sending well wishes your way phacelia. Sorry for your loss, especially while struggling with mono. Hope you see some easier days soon!
    • Posted

Hi Phacelia,

Really so sorry to hear about your family dog, that is so sad and sending sympathises and thoughts to you at this time. This is the horrible thing with the virus that stressful life events often trigger a relapse or down spell, it's so hard and really empathising.

I do believe you’re 100% right that things will get better, but I know it doesn’t help at the time when you’re having to experiencing the horrible symptoms and emotions – just want you to know I’m still thinking about you and rooting for you, and empathising today and just remember take things slowly and one day at a time – getting through each day in these times is a great achievement and don’t expect too much of yourself as your body needs time and space for recovery, so hang in there and thinking about you and most definitely you WILL get through this and better times ahead again. Hang in there today.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you so much for the encouragement, you guys. I feel like such a whiner around my family and friends. It's nice to have some people who understand how HARD mono makes EVERYTHING. sad

• Posted

You're definitely not a whiner Phacelia, the virus makes you feel so down and helpless it's important to talk to people you trust about it. You would do the same for them if they needed it, and I do understand because I also leaned heavily on close family and friends too during such hard times - it really makes a difference when people are there for you.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you, Craig. smile I hope you know how much your encouragement means to everyone on this page. You are the heart of this forum. smile 
    • Posted

Thanks for such kind words Phacelia, really means a lot. I just know how hard it is to go through this virus and how much pain it caused me, and I really want everyone to know there is hope today and want so much you and everyone to be well again. I believe that you will be and that God will bring His healing touch the way He did when I was suffering with it.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.