My Mono Journey

Posted , 8 users are following.

Let me preface by saying I am SO happy I found this forum!

I am a (normally) active 34-yr-old female, married with a 4-yr-old. I run a small farm as well as a home business. At the end of October 2017, I felt like I came down with something: swollen, painful nodes in the throat, fever, chills, upset stomach, and just generally feeling terrible. I knew something viral was going on, even though I thought the lack of respiratory symptoms was strange. I slowly began to feel a little better after a few days, and then had a relapse of the same symptoms a week later. Again, I slowly felt better, and was able to carry on with life, pretty much as normal for the month of November, although I noticed a lack of energy and strength, and something just didn't seem quite right. There was this unexplained anxiety that I just couldn't shake. In early December I was hit with a normal head cold, and i noticed the nodes in my neck swell up again, and I just couldn't seem to bounce back after the cold. I was also beginning to feel sore under my ribs. I finally went to the clinic to get checked out. The initial blood test was negative for Mono (the one that tests for an active infection), so the nurse said I had just been hit with a series of viral infections, and to rest and drink lots of fluids. That weekend I felt increasingly worse. All of the lymph nodes in my upper abdomen were inflamed, and I felt so sick I could barely eat. I made an appointment to get checked out a second time, and was absolutely terrified of what they would find. X-rays of spleen and liver were normal, but they felt enlarged (and SOOO tender!!!) when she palpated. They drew blood again and ran an EB titer. She was pretty sure that Mono was the culprit. I waited an agonizing 4 days for the results, which came up positive. I was relieved, since I was convinced I was dying, lol. After two straight weeks of dividing my time between the couch and the bed, I started to feel a lot better. So I foolishly thought I was well enough to start taking walks and hikes and doing farm work again. Stupid mistake! That week of activity caused me to crash hard, and this week has been rest, rest and more rest. I've learned the hard way that I am NOT good at resting! So here are my current symptoms, for those curious:

- fatigue (of course)

- anxiety

- depression

- painful nodes under ribs and armpits (the ones in my throat stopped hurting about a month ago)

- sometimes the nodes in my abdomen randomly spasm. It's so bizarre! I call it the alien baby, lol

- occasional headaches

- occasional poor appetite

- achy neck

- tingling extremities

- chills

- difficulty sleeping

Most of my symptoms seem pretty consistent with other members of the forum, but the one that caused me to find this forum is the ANXIETY. I've had anxiety in the past that could be easily explained by circumstances or hormonal state, but have never experienced anything like this before. It's like a heavy blanket of fog that clouds every thought and turns it negative. It seems unanimous that this is a symptom of the virus itself, so I find that reassuring, even though it's no less miserable.

Of course, the number one thing that helps is REST. Rest, rest, rest. (I feel like I've watched everything on Netflix and Hulu, lol.) I've also been taking vitamins and probiotics, and have ordered a few more - astralagus root and vitamin C (for immune support), and an herbal mixture to target the anxiety.

I also find that taking a warm soak in a tub with epsom salt helps ease the symptoms.

I'm fortunate that my husband's work schedule is flexible this time of year, and he only works a few miles away. My parents also live next door, so I have plenty of help with chores and child care. I'm just hoping that I am able to take over again by the spring, when everyone else's schedules become busy again.

I'm thankful for the rest of you who are on here sharing your experiences and encouraging one another. Hopefully my story will help in some small way. 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey. Things that helped me get over this virus finally: supplements like turmeric, vitamin D, pro biotic, omega 3. And I also changed my diet. This virus really upset my stomach and caused a lot of issues and really knocked me down. I cut out all processed food and I also had acupuncture and I finally turned a corner about 4 months ago.
    • Posted

Thank you. I have practically been forced to change my diet, since so little agrees with me now. I am scheduled for acupuncture in March. I had it for years while I was having issues with fibromyalgia and female health issues and it helped immensely. I'm hopeful that it will help me turn the corner with this virus as well.

• Posted

Hey Back to me,

Really good to hear from you and so pleased to hear that things have improved - that is amazing and excellent to hear that taking those steps really helped! Thanks for coming on and letting everyone know that there is hope still today and that there will be a turning point for those reading this who are in their darkest time with the virus - there really is hope and there will be a turning point and you will get better to all those going through that just now. Thinking of you.

Craig

• Posted

So, as if things couldn't get any worse for me, my grandmother passed away the other night.

It wasn't unexpected, and she was in very poor health, but it's still very sad, obviously. I'm hoping I can get through the funeral tomorrow, both physically and emotionally. 

The weakness, dizziness and fatigue have all returned with a vengeance, no doubt brought on by all the emotional trauma. Of course, the mono makes me so much more emotional, anyhow. Lord, when can I catch a break!

• Posted

Hi Phaceila,

Deepest sympathies for you loss, so sorry to hear about this and just hoping that you manage to get the day today. I lost my granpa last year too and it's very hard, even as you say when it's not unexpected and their health isn't great, it's still so sad and emotional.

The stress of it all will certainly be contributing to making the symptoms worse just now Phacelia, you are going to get through this though and you are going to get better. It's so hard when it just seems everything hits at once in life, but you're strong and you ARE going to make a fully recovery - just remember to be kind to yourself as it's been such a stressful time and to give yourself rest and time to do something that helps you relax and relieve stress too once this very sad day is over.

Thinking of you and I feel certain your grandmother would be so proud of you making it through the day when under so much stress yourself right now. Better times are are for sure, I believe that God will bring healing and good times again Phacelia - hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you, Craig. It was a long day, and I am exhausted, but it was good to see so much family and friends after being holed away for weeks. I'm just hoping this week doesn't set me back too much. I hope your back is feeling better!

• Posted

Thanks Phaceila for the best wishes about my back, just putting that one in God's hands and trusting in Him.

You must be exhausted, well done on making it through such a hard and long day - that is a real achievement especially considering how you have been feeling. Such things are draining anyway, but to do it when you've been under so much stress - shows your character and convinces me even more than ever that with God's help you're gonna get through this and make a full recovery. Hang in there Phacelia, remember give yourself rest and time after such a stressful day and event too, that's important too.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.