My mother age 85 has stage 5 Kidney failure..

Posted , 30 users are following.

My mother is suffering from. Kidney failure, needless to say dialysis is not an option given her other healissues. 

Over the past week she seems to have gone downhill, her appetite has gone and she has become very weak.

It's awful to see her like this sad My mother has always been very active and now she just has no energy.

She is very tired and sleeps a lot.

I'm interested in communicating with others who have witnessed this. I've read a lot on the internet but it's not quite the same as having first-hand knowledge.

Many thanks smile

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Tricia,

I was so sorry to hear your sad news, you mum will be glad she had you to look after her so well at the end.  You will miss her as you did so much together.  In time it will get easier but it never gets better I still miss and think about my dad everyday and have done for the last five years it gets bareable shall we say.  Lots of love and big hugs xxxx

• Posted

Hi tricia83055

I had been following your thread as I am in a very similar position now where you were a few months ago.  I am sorry to hear that your mother passed away, I also know how difficult it is caring for someone who is suffering in this way.  I was pleased to see that your mum passed at home and pain free.  That is my greatest concern for my mum, she has been in hospital four separate times now since April, twice with pneumonia, and twice with acute kidney problems.  At the moment her kidney function has gone up to GFR 11 (albeit at one time they were at 5)... she is back home now and just sleeping so much, she has fluid on the ankles which are now huge (I spoke yesterday to mum's renal lead nurse (unbeknown to my mum of course wink and she said that means her heart is an issue now too) - this is a horrid time, it's like a waiting game that you don't wish to know the end of sad

Sorry to have hijacked your thread, it was just helpful to see that someone was in the position I am now.

• Posted

Hi Tina

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. If it's any comfort, it has been said that passing with kidney failure, is painless.

My mother began sleeping a lot, but when she was awake, she was aware of everything and never complained of any pain.

I was happy to have her home during her last few days and she was also. I really couldn't have asked for anything more.

Thinking of you xxx

• Posted

Hi Tricia, it was nice to read about you and your mom. I am in kind of the same with my mom. What i truly appreicated was my mom told me when she first found out she had kidney failure that no matter what she did not want to be on dialysis so i did not have to struggle with that decision, I truly thank God for that. The Dr said without dialysis my mom had 2wks. she was on hospice. after 3 mos she was taking off of hospice, it has been over 2yrs now i had to put her into a nursing home for about 16mos. now my husband and i will be bringing her home with us as of Dec.19, 2015 she is still feeling pretty good but i feel in my heart she need to be with us and not in a home where people is there for a paycheck for the most part, it served it's time for my mom but without family to look out for their love ones in nursiing home i feel for those that do not have that families love. My mom is now on hospice again, i understand now that hospice is not like it was yrs ago, it is to get more help and that help is greatfully need so now like you i will enjoy mom while she is still here and hope when that time come she will go peacefully and with lots of love around her. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • Posted

Hi mama

Thinking of you at this difficult time, I posted on Tricia's post a while back as in April this year my mum was going through much the same as Tricia's mum.... fast forward to November and until this week all had been going great, tickety boo, although thanks to another infection (chest/urine, hospital not sure yet), my mum is back in hospital and kidneys functioning at 7% (my mum's baseline is 15%), all we can do with relatives with kidney probs is make the most of them whilst they are here, tbh my mum has gone through so much medically, I don't think I could do it and I'm not in my 80's (!) - stay strong mama, much love and hugs to you and your family during this time. <3>

• Posted

Thank you so much tina with this support from other family i know we will make it  through thanks again
  • Posted

My sister just told me that the nurse. Said my mother was hard to awke she refused dialysis 2 y rs ago now her kidney is only function 10 percent she only have one kidney my question is but she doesn't take dialysis that why she so hard to wake up ?

• Posted

My 94yr grandma also refused dialysis. As reneal failure progresses they will doze off more and more and b increasingly hard to wake. Near the end they will slip into unconsciousness. This is y kidney failure is sometimes called a 'gentle death'. There are other symptoms that can b troublesome along the way- fluid retention, shortness of breath, itching, confusion, restlessness but these can b managed with the proper meds. I will b praying for ur family! Bless u!.ss.

• Posted

Hannah,

Reading your answer to Barbara was helpful for me  I have a 95 year old mother who is End Stage also and is not on dialysis. She went on Hospice exactly a year ago and we were told it was a matter of weeks. Well she fooled them and is still with us. Her ankles are horrible swollen, she can barely walk, she sleeps a lot during the day but not at night. She lives alone and hospice comes 2-3 times a week to change a dressing on her bottom for two skin ulcers because she sleeps in a recliner. She will not sleep in her hospital bed saying she will when she can no longer get out of her chair. She has aides who come in for 4 hours 6 days a week and she still gets up and cooks with them but we see her changing every day. She needs 24 hour care but my sister and I have health problems and cannot take care of her. Just being in her apartment is difficult because she is Always Cold at 85+ degrees and we cannot move or breathe in there. Hospice wants her to move to a nursing home because she really needs 24 hour care. She refuses to go and because  she is of sound mind, she doesn't have to. Unfortunately her illness is taking a huge strain on both my sister and my health. We are at loss as to what to do. My sister and I are both widowed and living on our social security so hiring help is out of the question. The nurse checks her and says she hears no fluid so she is not in CHF, Her skin is itching and she has bubbles on her leg. One did burst and was horrible but has healed. We are at wits end worrying about her. We did manage to take her home for Thanksgiving Dinner today and she kept falling asleep which means she won't sleep tonight. She ate well which is unusual. You wrote that kidney failure is sometimes called a 'gentle death'. I can't see how this could be because she is suffering with pain from the swelling in her legs. It is so frustrating.

• Posted

Rose , this is my first post on the site, my sister is 86 and has 5th stage kidney failure, she still pees but suffers from anemia. her feet used to swell a lot which scared all of us, i got this stuff called Nepros Tea reccomended by a friend, it is a non pharamaceutical potion, looks like white dust any way, a compan called Bioform produces it from Norway. she has been on it twice a day or about 8 weeks now, her feeet dont swell anymore at all but I need to find a solution for her anemia,
    • Posted

There's no easy choice when it comes to 90+ parents making the decision to decide whether or not to under dialysis. I'm currently living with my 95 yr old father in law who has decided to be on dialysis for almost 3 yrs now. Of course he would not be alive today if he did not make that decision after being hospitalized several times for Renal failure & also having heavy fluid retention on both legs. The path to dialysis was not easy yet highly necessary... he had multiple fistula ballooning surgeries because he barely had any useful veins. Another issue we came across was he's skin elasticity which made him almost bled to death several times. Yet he was a real trooper & survived it all. I finally insisted the surgeon to insert a permanent catheter which made life much easier. No more needle poking. Just insert the needle in the catheter tube & that's it. He began this journey since Fall of 2015 and on dialysis 3x per week. Though it has prolonged he's life, he hasn't been the same. He lost tremendous amount of weight, limited mobility and has become more fragile. Though he's quality of life has diminished, he still drives & gets around. He will be 96 this April 2018. As I have witnessed this journey isn't for every elderly person but choosing not to be on dialysis is an automatic death sentence. My father in law is a living proof of that.  

• Posted

Hi Tricia, I did a search about my moms kidney failure and stumbled across the forum. My mom is 78 and just the last 2 to 3 weeks has gone downhill. With sickness and tiredness all the time. She looks bloody awful. Mom had the fitualla put in a few months ago, ready for starting dialysis but she looks terrible. I am hoping she can last until it starts but i am anxious that it might not help. I don't want mom to suffer any more than she is.

Does anyone have any reassuring words. With many thanks Lesley.

• Posted

Hi,

I take it she is at stage 5 as she has a fistual?. I am stage 5 and have 6% GFR and have been doing Peritoneal dialysis for nearly two years now.  I can say that that last bit before you start dialysis is shocking I was in bed at 7.30pm each night and couldn't even look at food never mind eat it.  My husband was sad and he would try to tempt me with things just to get me to eat something but I physically couldn't do it.  They tend to leave dialysis until the patient says they have symptoms, so I would speak with your Mums neph and explain that she is struggling.  They may start her dialysis shortly then.  Haemo (with the fistual) is a bit more restictive fluids are restricted and she may have blood pressure drops if they take too much fluid off but they can make adjustments.  It took me about 4 weeks to feel the benefit of dialysis but a lot better and I could eat.  Tell your Mum there is light at the end of the tunnel and she will feel better she just has to get past this nasty bit then she will feel better. Hope your mum feels better soon x

• Posted

Hi Helen, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Since moms diagnosis, sometime ago, I can hand on heart say that this thread had been the most helpful of anything. Its so reassuring to know that there is a light at the end of this tunnel. I hope you are doing well and looking forward to showing mom your comment. Thanks again. Lesley x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.