My panic attacks!!!!!!!

Posted , 39 users are following.

Ok all, just tried the whole writing down why i think my panic attacks started and what happens during a panic attack.......it brought on a panic attack!!!!! I cant do it!!! I had to give up and I'm not even half way through so clearly that's not gunna work for me........ Ok so my panic attacks are about during dying ok, I'm scared of dying end of.....i cant get over it because its inevitability, and this is what i panic about every single night, I'm not religious even tho i have tried to find god it hasn't worked......my panic attacks are justifiable and i cant see how I'm ever going to get over them......im sorry but i just cant.....this is the most I've ever talked about them......and i cant 'embrace' them because i cant find a reason to calm myself down......many people have tried explaining their way of thinking and it just doesn't work for me, I'm at a loss, and writing all this in panic because i just don't know what to do anymore!!!! I don't know how anyone can help me, it all seems pretty hopeless........im sorry about the rant but that's what it is, because now I'm panicking, and no amount of medication seems to help.

Danielle

3 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Danielle, 

I just wanted to send you a quick message to lend support. I am currently trying to figure out what is up with me. I lost my Grandpa, Dad, fiancee (to breakup) and my job, and my home in just over a year. I feel relatively strong given the circumstancesm but every once and a while I get crazy attacks. They aren't exactly typical panick attacks (as far as I can tell from descriptions) or depression. It is both alarming and comforting to not find a home for what I have. Obviously it's related to grief, and loss. But, who the heck knows. Anyway, I am a bit of a typical male in the sense that I have trouble expressing my emotions. It makes me feel quite lonely, though I am actively searching for some relief without help. Anyway, I feel better, based on my inability to express these feelings to my loved ones, when I can express them in anyway, and not feel alone. Your situation made me feel less alone, and I hope in some way my email makes you feel better. I hope you have found some relief since your last post. I wish you the very best, and if it is possible to send me a reply, and you wish to, feel free to do so anytime. It would likely help me too smile Best wishes. Life is good, just have to learn how to function in the frey. 

• Posted

Hi,

Just wanted to comment on the topic of panic attacks linked with existence and questioningg life and death and what its all about. I had a really really horrible panic attack last night that came totally out the blue, as I was brushing my teeth!!?? It suddenly hit me that I am this little insignificant human taking up a tiny dot in the history of the earth and the universe and that for all that time I haven't existed and now I do exist but one day I won't exist. And I kept trying to rationalise life and the meaning of it and it just turned into a full on panic attack with thumping heartbeat, hot sweats, dizzy feeling and nausea. And I got an overwhelming feeling to run out my house, like I was a caged bird. I have had a few panic attacks in my life but none as scary as this one. I don't think there is any pill out there that can help. I have been on antidepressants before and they help in as much as they stop me from overanalysing life and quieting my thoughts. I envy religious people cos I think that believing in god and an afterlife must answer alot of existential questions. But for me distracting myself with things that make me happy like my dog and family and friends and favourite comedies etc helps. And these panicky feelings really put into perspective things that we stress about in everyday life like money and jobs and who got into government. Its good to know theres other people out there who go through similar things as I've read in this forum. Would be great to hear from others with similar thoughts!!

• Posted

Danielle, 

panic attacks are caused by a part of our brain which sends us into "flight or fight" mode. This part of our brain helps PROTECT us from danger. It will NOT kill you. If you were going to die, trust me, it would have the complete opposite effect and you wouldn't even be able to think about it. So you getting panic attacks are actually a good thing because it's letting you know that your brain and your heart and everything else is well enough to HELP you. Now, the only problem here is that your brain has somehow gone off and picked the wrong times to send you a little bit of adrenaline in order for you to decide fight or flight. When this happens we have to find a way to reset it and try guide it back to the proper mode it should be in. 

I have had horrible panic attacks as well, even recently. I thought I was dying as well, but after speaking with paramedics, nurses, doctors, they all have told me the exact same thing. IT WILL NOT HURT YOU. Anxiety causes us to convince ourselves we're ill with some sort of disease, but do you know why it does that? Because it's making us aware of our body so we can help it and fix it. However, people who are on this website have came here like yourself because our anxiety is WRONG and we need to retrain it's thinking. You will definitely be on this planet for years and before you know it your anxiety will be gone and you will wake up one day thinking, what was all that fuss about? And you spent most of those years worrying about death rather than getting out and enjoying yourself. I do not know how old you are, but please, help yourself and retrain your body.

Therapy is there for us to help with that because most of us don't know the tools and if we do have the tools, we don't know what to do with them and therapy helps us use them to retrain our brain and our thinking process. The next time you have a panic attack, talk to yourself in your head, let yourself know that your brain is wrong by telling you this is a time to be scared because it isn't. Tell yourself you are okay and in a few minutes it will pass. If you breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth deeply, it will slow your heart  rate down and possibly make you a little more calm. Since medication isn't working for you there is no point in taking it, I would go see a therapist if I was you. 

• Posted

I have been dealing with this exact same feeling brought on by a mass layoff at my job. Now I fear everything that is uncertain and it's controlling how I live and my relationships. I know I haven't been any help but at least you know you're not alone
  • Posted

Hi Dannie,

I hope you're doing ok!.......

I am not going to say don't fear death and I am not going to recommend ways to try calm down because we all know that the brain likes to fear the unknown and start panicking . It seems like our minds are hard wired and desire adrenaline . As oddly as that sounds. If our bodies truly didn't like anxiety then we wouldn't be able to create it if u know what I mean. I totally understand what you're going through, and that you're not alone as lonely as u feel. I push through each day just like yourself, always feeling on edge and sore mentally and physically. It's like no matter how much u tell yourself it's ok, the more the mind will want to get anxious. I guess, I am tryig to accept I am going to be in an anxious for quite a long time and I just live off "calming" remedies. At least it'll assist somewhat with the physical symptoms . I do recommend that you support your body with high doses Vitamin C (A reputable brand ). Immune supprt pills or anything that supports the body's immune system. Magnesium is very essential with people whom have panic attacks on a regular basis. Nourishing foods for the kidney's and herbal teas like Grren tea, Passionflower tea, ginger tea (pure). This is very IMPORTANT to help u feel even a tiny bit beter. To be honest if I wasn't on all the supplements that I am on right now, I would be a total and utter wreck! Anxiety plays havoc on the body physically and wastes away your energy resources and ability to function. I am and will always be going to a natural practioner to keep me kicking. I am not sure if you'll get this, but I really hope you'll help your body out and I wish u all the best . Don't give up! Death I feel is better than reality . It's a time where you get to relax for once in our life with no bothersome thoughts. That's just my opinion , We all are scared to some degree but we are all going to be there and hopefully together one day! x

• Posted

I have been having panic attacks also, just remember, it may feel like you're dying but you are NOT, something that helps me is use short and shallow breaths and make sure you're breathing in and exhaling

• Posted

Hi Danielle, I've read the whole thread. So encouraging to read that you can recover/improve! How you doing now? How did the Dr decide which Med to put you on? I'm not on anything... yet. Might try it though!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.