My panic attacks are getting worse

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with GAD for 2 years now but had panic attacks since I was 11. I am now 21 and these past two weeks have been worse than its ever been before. I am used to having daily panic attacks but generally only minor ones that I can control and keep on going with, but for the past two weeks I've had massive panic attacks everyday, one even lasted for five hours and another my legs were so shaky I couldn't stand up on my own all day. I wondered if anyone has had experiences of it suddenly rocketing to these extremes before? I'm hoping it's just a phase and soon it will go back to it being more controlled as I can't keep carrying on like this as I'm an actor so being active is something I need to be able to do. I appreciate any advice or just hearing some experiences to know this is normal - thanks x

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

Hopefully they will pass and things will go back to normal but I had the same thing happen to me I used to suffer from mild attacks where I could control them.  Then one day  all of sudden these nasty attacks started happening and I didnt know why, I put it down to change..  

Have you changed anything in these last two weeks? Are you more worried?  

• Posted

Hi David 

I have gone into rehearsing a new show but I've worked with everyone in the company before and have been in the same location for the same reason previously so I don't think it can be change. That's what I wanted to put it down to at first but I don't think its a big enough change to make my anxiety rocket so much.

I have been on fluoxetine for 2 years or so, so am now debating with myself whether it could be something to do with my body getting used to the pills. It's hard to tell. How long did your big attacks last before it all went back to normal? 

• Posted

Hi suzy, just wanted to reassure you that your extreme symptoms are just heightened anxiety, adrenalin, tension & other stress hormones that are causing you the physical problems of not being able to stand up without support, I am experencing something similar at the moment due to a build up of stress and also negative thinking.

Is there something in your life that is causing you to suffer from chronic anxiety/stress? Something that you can change or give up?

Your body mind is trying to communicate with you by sending symptoms to let you know that you are overwhelmed and to change your ways.

If you change the way you think about the symptoms and not worry about them, as they cannot harm you then they will begin to fade.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on. x

• Posted

Hi Brenda - 

Thank you - it's nice to have that reassurance and know that its normal.

There isn't anything different going on at the moment that would cause me any extra stress but it's interesting that you mention negative thinking. I do feel recently I've been quite negative which I assumed was down to the panic attacks but now I'm thinking perhaps its the other way round - I'll try to control this and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for your help - I'll let you know how I get on x

• Posted

Hi there, I've had them on and off for years, but I found meditation and teaching myself to breath has helped me no end. I'm 32 and have had times where I'm in busy environments or in situations where I'm under pressure and it's caused a panic attack. But since doing meditation every evening, either in bath, or in bed relaxing I've noticed a chance in my coping mechanism. There are so many to choose from and I often listen to some off of u tube.
    • Posted

Hi Hannah - 

Meditation is actually something I haven't tried yet, do you have any recomendations of videos or sites for first timers? A friend of mine told me to look at headspace which I hadn't got round to yet - is that any good? 

Thank you for your help x

• Posted

Plus finding things that motivate me, things I like to do help me no end. I also found writing good and bad things I feel are good in my life helps. Things I want to achieve, and finding ways to improve my confidence etc. doing all of these things has changed he as a person and helped me with anxiety and stress etc. the first positive thing you are doing is talking about how you feel and getting it off your chest. Keep that up because that really does help.
    • Posted

No problem I'll be back in a mo with some for you. Haven't heard of that one, but I have many that are really good. No problem at all.x
  • Posted

Hi smile

I suffer with really bad Anxiety and Panic attacks amongst other things. What your feeling is completely normal and nothing bad is going to happen to you.

One thing that I have found useful recently is Camomile tea and Kalms (don't think you'll be able to take Kalms if you're on meds mind) it really relaxs me and I don't feel so on edge. There's a few apps on your phone that you can download to, to help with panic and anxiety.

Its not much, but I hope it helps.

Take care. X

• Posted

Also, another thing that helps me is drawing,you don't have to be an expert but it takes your mind somewhere else - Anti stress colouring books for adults, there's loads on Amazon. 😊 Xx
    • Posted

Thankyou! I'll have a look into it - do you know what the apps are called? 

All the best x

• Posted

Stop Panic and Anxiety Attacks. 😊

Hope it helps. Good luck. X

• Posted

Hi Suzy, these might not be right for you because we all have different perspectives on mefitation and different styles. Sone you might find annoying example as I have found over the last 6 months of trying different ones out. These ones I like because they really help mentally and physically. The first name is Healing The Body mind and spirit - kalawa Biggs. I find she's very good and had a few different ones to choose from. The second is Meet Your Spirit Guides-Andrew Flanagan. I like this because it helps with positivity. The third one is by quite mind cafe- breathing meditation. If you don't like these ones try out different ones in u tube by keying in what you specifically want out of the meditation, for example anxiety, of health, etc. there are many to choose from as you'll find. Hope I've been if some help. Of and one lady thing I use natural remedies to, if you read up on oils for example lavender oil, or geranium, there's loads if different ones again that help with different health issues. Lavenders actually good fir sleep. Hope this helps. Try and keep positive, your doing all the right things x
    • Posted

Frankinsense and boswelia. Wrong spelling but there suppose to help with anxiety. Wild orange, lavender is brilliant as I use that myself. There's one called serenity that's good to, if you look I to ones that you'd want to try and there's different ways of using. In the bath, on pillow case for example, on body. I also use crystal healing that I find is very good.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Hannah - I'll let you know how I get on x
    • Posted

Let me know if really like to know how it's going. Give it a chance though and you'll start it notice a difference after a while of doing it. You'll even find that your lungs improve for doing the meditation. There are many positives out of doing it. Hope all the info helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.