My PIP Assessment

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone,  I thought I would let you know how my PIP assessment went this morning.  

The lady assessor is a doctor and seemed to be really knowledgeable of my problems.  My appointment was at 9am, but we left home in plenty of time to allow for traffic.  We arrived about 20 minutes early, but only waited 5 minutes before she came for us.  She seemed a very gentle person and kept apologising for me having to be there.  I had to stand a couple of times as my back was starting to lock and she even found me a pillow to sit on.  

She checked my identity and then said that although she was a doctor she was not there to assess or discuss my health issues, she was only interested in how they affected my day to day living. To be honest, she didn't ask many questions at all really.  We talked about when and who diagnosed my different ailments and she knew one of the doctors who diagnosed my  spondylitis.  We talked about cooking, bathing toileting but not a lot else really.  I had to walk a small distance from reception to her room, but couldn't do that without hanging on to my hubby, so I guess she could tell from watching me how good or bad I was.   I had to deduct 7 from 100, then from 93 etc and completely got it wrong, I felt quite stupid, but she said this happens a lot with people who suffer with Fibro Fog.  She asked me to move my head up, down and sideways, which was difficult and checked the strength in my hands, then it was all over.  She said that any questions she had not asked, she could take from my notes attached to the form. The whole process took around 45 minutes.

She did say, that after reading the notes, she was very surprised that I had been selected to have a face to face and that she would be advising the DWP that my problems would only get worse and not better.  

She sounded as if she was on my side, but going on what others have said, who knows what she will put in her report.  Only time will tell.  Watch this space!!

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Glad your assessment went well and the assessor was nice.  Good luck with you PIP - hopefully you will hear soon.  I too had a nice assessor and came out feeling positive and relieved it was over.  Still waiting to hear regarding my award though x
    • Posted

Thank you TCake, I'm not holding my breath as you hear so many horror stories.  Just glad it's over, now like you it's a case of waiting.  I hope you hear soon and that it's positive x

• Posted

Thanks - mine was 3 1/2 weeks ago so hope to hear soon! 
    • Posted

Glad that you had a positive assessment.

It would be interesting to see what points you get and on which descriptor compared to what you believe you should get.

• Posted

It will be interesting to see what points I get and I will also send for the report a little later, not sure how long to wait before asking though.
  • Posted

I had my pip assessment 18th may,I hadent had any DLA since 14th April however twice they claimed to have been to my home to do the pip assessment although I never recieved any letters!,

Finally a guy (a paramedic) came to ask me questions he was my assessor I answered all his questions the best I could he asked me questions like what was 3 from 10 like you I couldn't answer I think it was nerves!! I waited just under 6 weeks rang them every week and finally got my pip I also asked for a copy of my medical although it was good this man lied about some of problems which I intend to rectify,

I joined a group on Facebook called u.k disabled and unite without their help I was ready to end it all just through the stress of trying to struggle with the pittance they gave me!! Finally I got my money and I hope you too get a good result good luck x

• Posted

Oh my goodness,

they have certainly messed you around, I wonder if they realise the amount of stress it causes to others or even if they care.

I think that speaking with people who are going through the same kinds of problems as yourself, is a big help and support, it makes us realise that we are not alone.  

I'm glad that  you finally got your money, it's just a pity that they made you so ill in the process. x

• Posted

Hi sukes/Tcake,

It would be interesting to know the results of these appraisals regarding those carried out by doctors and those carried out by other hcps'. If you have a positive or negative result please post it with the grade of hcp, perhaps we could then appreciate what the outcome may be, especially if the result is after a reconsideration with a differently qualified hcp.

I do hope after your own positive sounding appraisals that you both get the results you deserve.

• Posted

I agree it would give people an idea of how things may go.

• Posted

Hi Mike,

yes it will make interesting reading and I'll certainly post as much detail as I can when the report / decision comes through.

I hope it is a positive report, I have been on DLA MRC and HRM for almost 20 years, but of course I do  realise that at these PIP assessments claimants can be miraculously cured rolleyes

• Posted

.....I do  realise that at these PIP assessments claimants can be miraculously cured......

Like you with DLA 'Ivea beeen curedd'!!!! LOL

• Posted

Hi Sukes

Im glad it went well for you it seems to me that people seem to get better reports from Doctors and Nurses who seem to understand your problems.

asif to this is true or not I don't know

ask for your report and hopefully it will be a good one.  I got mine and it was  good but still stressing about it

I'm still waiting for a decision it's been 5 weeks now

good luck with it let us know the outcome

• Posted

Hi Nicolette

I will definitely post the result of the decision on here as I will need some shoulders if it is a negative one.  cry

• Posted

Great to hear that your experence was positive. Good luck for the future.
    • Posted

Thank you millie, we all need some luck I fear. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.