My PIP Assessment

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone,  I thought I would let you know how my PIP assessment went this morning.  

The lady assessor is a doctor and seemed to be really knowledgeable of my problems.  My appointment was at 9am, but we left home in plenty of time to allow for traffic.  We arrived about 20 minutes early, but only waited 5 minutes before she came for us.  She seemed a very gentle person and kept apologising for me having to be there.  I had to stand a couple of times as my back was starting to lock and she even found me a pillow to sit on.  

She checked my identity and then said that although she was a doctor she was not there to assess or discuss my health issues, she was only interested in how they affected my day to day living. To be honest, she didn't ask many questions at all really.  We talked about when and who diagnosed my different ailments and she knew one of the doctors who diagnosed my  spondylitis.  We talked about cooking, bathing toileting but not a lot else really.  I had to walk a small distance from reception to her room, but couldn't do that without hanging on to my hubby, so I guess she could tell from watching me how good or bad I was.   I had to deduct 7 from 100, then from 93 etc and completely got it wrong, I felt quite stupid, but she said this happens a lot with people who suffer with Fibro Fog.  She asked me to move my head up, down and sideways, which was difficult and checked the strength in my hands, then it was all over.  She said that any questions she had not asked, she could take from my notes attached to the form. The whole process took around 45 minutes.

She did say, that after reading the notes, she was very surprised that I had been selected to have a face to face and that she would be advising the DWP that my problems would only get worse and not better.  

She sounded as if she was on my side, but going on what others have said, who knows what she will put in her report.  Only time will tell.  Watch this space!!

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Not all assessors are evil eyed in fact most of them are good people but are stuck with a set of rules they must follow.

Hope it all turns out well.

• Posted

I agree with you to a point, they are only doing their job, but I do wonder if they get paid extra to lie. 
    • Posted

That I will accept and do understand. But when assessors make comments that are totally untrue such as ...he walks his dog - don't have a dog, works out at the gym 5 mornings a week - he's quadriplegic!! or sits and watches the TV for 4 hours a night - don't have a TV....they tend to lose the highground.

• Posted

hi Sukes

tried posting you few times. no joy so tried private message. dunno if works. glad your dilemma went ok. strange how they stress us. mine went ok. sod em. stay cool dude. same to tcake and rwwarrior.

gadangga my friend.

• Posted

Hi sukes

I'm new to this group and was hoping to see if anyone had the same experience as me with there PIP assessment. I'm glad yours went well and I wish you all the best with the outcome. I had a home assessment and also had a nice lady that didn't seem to ask half the things I thought she would have asked. I didn't get asked any maths questions or anything like that I think the main 3 questions she asked were about my medication, if I could cook for myself and wash and dress myself and also what my hobbies were. At the end she says she was supposed to ask me to do simple tasks like lifting things and walking but she wasn't going to bother as she can see how much pain I was in. I was feeling positive afterwards but now I'm not sure if she's maybe failed me before the end or if I'm over thinking this. Do you no how long it takes to hear back from them? It's been 2 weeks since my appointment iv been driving myself crazy with worry lol no doubt the same as everyone who's waiting to hear back. I just wish I knew about this group before my appointment. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back ?? X

• Posted

Hello Shar,

the doctor said that I would hear from the DWP withing 6 - 8 weeks, but I have read on other posts that some people have waited much longer than that.  I'm 68 years of age and found it really stressful.  I was shaking so much during the interview, thank goodness I had my hubby with me as I couldn't walk unaided.

I hope you get a positive outcome, let us know how you get on. x

• Posted

I too  am 68. I was offered the opportunity of a lieftime to transfer to PIP late last year. To put it simply I just couldn't cope with everything that PIP entails for the rest of my natural so just didn't apply.

Besides which the Benefits & Work website test only gave me 4 points for care.

I have always gone on my own to assessments (DLA, ESA & IIDB) - I didn't want my wife to have to suffer the hell that they are as being the innocent party. 

• Posted

I might have misunderstood your preious posts Les and if I did, then I apologise, but did I read that you had to apply yearly or almost yearly on DLA.  If this is the case, then no wonder you couldn't cope with any more stress. 

• Posted

You are right.

For my old DLA claim which started in 1995, I had to undergo face to face re-assessments every 2 years despite it being an indefinite award. Each time I failed and had to appeal and just before it got to the Tribunal the DWP backed down and gave me the old award again indefinite.

As for ESA, this claim started in Sept 09 and ceased in June 2013 when I became 65. I had two face to face assessments and both failed to give me any award. Like the DLA claim, it was reinstated only weeks before the Tribunal hearing when they put me back in the Support Group.

Then I made a claim for Industrial Injuries Benefit in 1995. As with the DLA claim it was re-assessed by face to face every 2 years and is still continuing.I now have a for life award which was given to me in 2013. I don't believe that and am waiting for another re-assessment at some time in the near future.

• Posted

Crumbs Les, I can totally understand your disillusionment in the system after all that.  Surely they realise that when you get to a certain age, things are not going to improve.  

I do think sometimes, that the system intentionally targets the older person.  Maybe they hope we will pop our clogs through the stress they cause with all these re-assessments. 

• Posted

Well things certainly won't improve healthwise for me!!!

One benefit that is still available due to my age - Attendance Allowance. It is not means tested and unfortunately there is no mobility element (the government say this is because the older you get the less mobile you become so it cannot be classed as a disability).

It is a benefit that is supposed to help with the extra costs of being old.

Given that councils are crying out for more money to help with the costs of providing care either in the home or in a residential home the government in their wisdom are to close down Attendance Allowance and the money they will save can be given to councils instead for them to cover the costs they are liable for.

Where does this leave those that aren't ready to have carers come in to wash them or aren't too ill that you need residential care?

What you were able to get - approx £87 a week will no longer exist.

So if you are still able to live in your home you will get no financial help.

Yes it does seem to be the case that when you get to 65 you are on your own with no financial help being made available presumably suffering in silence.

• Posted

Hi les,

Are you getting Pension Credit? I know it's mean tested but may be worth a go, that way you could get Council tax reduction too, what am I thinking - trying to tell my grannies how to suck eggs.

Mike.

• Posted

Yes I used to get Pension Credit, but with the loss of the DLA which gave the double disability premium our income is now just above the maximum allowed for Pension Credit. This then had a knock on effect in that if no Pension Credit is being paid, then the help towards the mortgage interest ceases. Without Pension Credit we also lost all of the 100% Council Tax Support.

In other words unless our income goes down further which would bring us back into the Pension Credit or the Pension Credit upper maximum allowed goes up, we have lost approx £300 a week (including the Council Tax Support). 

• Posted

hi Sukes

only me. finally got through. the 1st letter sent me was wrong. clerical error. so I asked what the real deal? 12 months is the answer. starting from mid June when it all started. so times up mid June next year. so... according to her they have to inform me in writing 6months before due date. which is where November comes in. thereabouts. strange isn't it. in other words they're giving me 6months to prepare.

that's what I said to her and she agrees. but...it's a big but...they reserve the right to issue me with a notice they're about to start process as they see fit ANYTIME after 29 th Nov. is there a budget November? anyway that's it. 2questions.

how is that saving money if they ask for me twice in 12months?

what happens if your award is less than 12months?

what's the betting they're really coming after me in November? not June next year. hope that makes sense. ivan. take care. once more unto the breech. by the way asked for copy of report. she was not a happy bunny.

• Posted

I find this really incredible Ivan, that means that people will be filling out forms and attending face to face meetings twice a year - how pathetic.  I reckon it's a ploy to stop people from going for it and if they award it for six months, well the mind boggles!!  rolleyes   Obviously the people in government have nothing better to do with their time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.